1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

I LOVE this throw and it is relatively under utilized so I usually surprise people with it. It also works with that annoying bent over BJJ posture and you can go right to knee on belly!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:00am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a Judo equivalent for Crappling or is it still just Crappling? Cause I'm going to be doing some serious Judo Crappling due to this post. How Do Teach Self Judo!? YAY!

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:45am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ippon seonagi to o- garuma

Thanks white shark on the clue to Saesae Tsurikomi ashi! Must try that.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a bent over BJJ guy one way to get any of the "foot" throws is to start to circle toward your high hand. Like you want to get side by side. They will usually move away from you to maintain a face to face position. When they do change directions and reach for the opposite foot or leg while yanking on the sleeve.

Man text really sucks for this.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:15am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am always amazed at how often harai to sukui nage works for me. People always step around my attacking leg on harai ( I have short legs!), and literally THROW themselves into sukuinage. WOrks with tai o toshi, too.

Also try kouchi gari into sumi gaeshi.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:23am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

I LOVE this throw and it is relatively under utilized so I usually surprise people with it. It also works with that annoying bent over BJJ posture and you can go right to knee on belly!
    I almost never get it as a throw, but it is my favorite opening by far. From there I go for O Soto Gari, Harai Goshi, or Tai otoshi depending on how they step.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 1:39pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

Yeah, it's a nice one. As Happy Old Guy mentioned, it can be difficult to get right out of the gates (against a good Judoka). So I like to hook it up in a very simple combo. Fake Osoto Gari, and your opponent will step back to brace and remove the leg that you are attempting to reap. Then hit him deep with the Ashi on that same leg, while he's overextended. This one works like a charm for me. I'll sometimes follow with an Uchimata if I whiff on the ashi.

To summarize the principles of most of the combos listed, work each move in a different direction. Here's a simplified breakdown of what I'm talking about using Blue Negation's combos:

Kouchi gari to seio nage to kata guruma - Driving, Turning, Lifting
    Kouchi gari to leg pick to ouchi gari - Driving, Lifting, Driving
    Ouchi gari to Uchi mata to leg pick - Driving, Turning, Lifting
    Osoto gari to Tani Otoshi - Driving, Turning
    Osoto gari to Harai Goshi or Ashi guruma - Driving, Turning

This basic idea of changing direction as your opponent resists the force of your initial attack is the main point for most good combinations. So, you push, he pushes back, you turn and pull, etc.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like kosoto-gari, and it's one of the few throws I can sometimes get just by "going for it". So, I go for it a lot. Can anyone provide some good set-ups and/or follow-ups for kosoto attempts? It's pretty similar throw to Deashi Harai. Will the set and follow-ups for that work for kosoto too?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 2:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im glad this thread was started. I studied traditional JJJ for 2 years and we never worked on combinations. As a result, I know all these throws that I felt would never work in a real situation. Now i see there was a whole door we never opened to getting techniques to work.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 4:20pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    I like kosoto-gari, and it's one of the few throws I can sometimes get just by "going for it". So, I go for it a lot. Can anyone provide some good set-ups and/or follow-ups for kosoto attempts? It's pretty similar throw to Deashi Harai. Will the set and follow-ups for that work for kosoto too?
    These are the ones I was shown to set up Ko Soto, you can also make Ko Soto the third one ina chain, if you use the respective set-ups for the throws preceding it.

O Uchi Gari -> Ko Soto Gari
    Uchi Mata -> Ko Soto Gari
    Ippon Seoinage -> Ko Soto Gari
    Tai Otoshi -> Ko Soto Gari

It takes a bit of agility, but the only follow up I was shown form Ko Soto is:
    Ko Soto Gari -> Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi

Quote Originally Posted by ippon013
    Im glad this thread was started. I studied traditional JJJ for 2 years and we never worked on combinations. As a result, I know all these throws that I felt would never work in a real situation. Now i see there was a whole door we never opened to getting techniques to work.
    I'm glad. I'm really liking the way this thread is developing
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast