Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist
    how to stop your opponent from piling up on you (which I promptly forgot),
    Underhook the ankle, opposite the side taht your legs are locked on, and rotate your body. Not only will it make the triangle tighter, it'll make him fall over.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please stop giving people technical advice.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    What kind of rules do you use for those matches at your school Hedge?
    Depends very heavily on the referee. If it's my instructor, who's reffed a bunch, it's first takedown wins and there's a distinction drawn between a failed sacrifice throw and actually getting taken down. I took first last year by wheelbarrowing my opponent until he fell over.

If it's some goofy substitute, you can win or lose with any old bullshit.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    5/16/2008 10:23am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Pulling guard is not so bad. Yeah it annoys me, but it's arguably a legitimate aggresive move. Butt flopping at the start is when I get cranky.

FWIW. Talking to most of my classmates about why standing (judo or wrestling) classes have 4-6 while BJJ classes have 30-40, the number one answer is that getting thrown hurts. I don't actually think it's that simple. I think alot of it is that it's easy to get discouraged learning to throw. It takes a long time to get your first throws off against a fully resistant opponent in randori. So you get something that hurts and that doesn't show easy results. Whereas BJJ hurts a little less, and I think you feel the progress (hitting your moves on people) much quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Judo has to be one of the most frustrating and difficult things I've ever done.

When I started training in MMA I was initially led to believe "practical" martial arts were ones that yielded quick results - i.e. that after a year of Muay Thai, I would be a better fighter than if I had spent that same year studying say _ing _un for example.

However, grappling seems to be somewhat of an exception to this rule. In terms of submission grappling, it seems that you can improve to a certain level (i.e. be able to submit an untrained opponent of similar size/strength) within a fairly short period of time, but to progress significantly past that point takes a very long time.

Judo is even more frustrating in that regard. You can play for years before even getting close to feeling like you're "getting it".

Judo has so far been the most annoying MAs that I have ever studied. For MMA 'Dirty boxing', it only took a couple of months before I felt completely comfortable and was able to see improvement. BJJ, while my time was QUITE short, I did get up to crappling level within a month or so (or at least get used to the ground).

Then there was Judo.

Month 3, going at least three times every week, and I still find myself on certain days having trouble pulling off even the basic throws while drilling (particularly timing and where to off balance your partner before a throw). It is as discouraging as hell, and I imagine that's why Judo doesn't have as many practicioners as other arts.

Maybe that's just me, I am a slow learner.

Nevertheless with the amount of time it has taken for me to get good at throws, I can't imagine spending that much time wouldn't take away from being able to practice groundfighting. (and yes, I realize that this point has already been made)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345