Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 4:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

encouraging more throwing in bjj

as a fairly new bjj practitioner, i was surprised at how poor the standup game is amongst even the higher grades at my club. i am only a judo brown belt, so am obviously not the world's best thrower, but have no problems taking down anyone at my club (its only a smalltown club). some guys have even confided in me that they are a little bit scared of being thrown.

i have read that the bjj points system is designed to encourage good practise and tactics for real self defense, and i would largely go along with that. but surely good throwing is an important part of self defense?

what i propose is that more points are awarded for a clean throw that ends with the thrower remaing in a standing position, and the throwee on the ground. say 5 points? any takers?

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 4:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are my 2 cents as a "non BJJ" guy.
    1) you will get moved to Guantanamo ASAP :XXphyhsas
    2) What is the use of a throw/takedown if you miss/give away the chance to obtain/remain in dominant position (sidemound, mount) by keep standing up? You wana finish the guy and not run away after throwing him. So I guess there are no takers here.

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 5:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why wil i get moved to guantanamo? has this sort of thing been posted before?

all my suggestion does is award more points for a good throw. it doesn't tell you what you have to do after that. if you want to go for a mount or sub after that, and you think you have the skills, then you can. or you can stay standing. surely a good takedown must be worth at least as much as a guard pass?

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 5:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say I am not sufficient with the BJJ pointing system,I think points are awareded for being superior. When you throw somebody and take mount after that, you get your points. If you throw somebody and end up being mounted what was the use of the throw, why should you get points for ending up worse? If you throw him and end up standing again, what is the point of throwing then? So throw and take mount get your points, throw and end up in stand up again, no point because nothing gained.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 5:50am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, pertaining to a real life scenario like he mentioned, throwing somebody and remaining standing is probably the best thing you can do. And I do believe bjj is intended as a real life system. If you are against multiple attackers you wouldn't want to follow them to the ground if you could avoid it, and even in a one-on-one sitution I've seen men knocked clean out or just beaten to the point where they give up from being thrown onto a hard floor repeatedly. Also, you could throw someone on the ground, and stomp them on the head.

I think it is a good position to be in. Now, as to posting here to actually affect change in the universal ranking system for bjj tournaments? We'll see about that.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 6:01am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was talking about the BJJ point system, not "th3 d34dly str33ts".
    Remain standing in a SD situation is something you would go for, no arguing about that.
    Since it is not a Judo competition, where you leave for home after a nice throw I guess things are a little different in BJJ though. Again, not saying throws are bad still in a competition somewhat worthless without a followup technique.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 7:10am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... they are awarded more points then a guard pass, as long as you can land in a superior position. if you don't, if you land in guard, you get a point, which is equal to a guard pass.

bjj is focused on newaza, is it so bad that it doesn't emphasize tachiwaza?

Fear and bullets.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second ClassRecommendation First Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 7:16am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vin's right.

I did judo for ten years and loved it, but it's not the same animal as BJJ. People who do BJJ want to be great groundfighters, and BJJ is the best groundfighting style in the world. People who do judo want to be great clinch-fighters and throwers. People who do both (with boxing/kickboxing thrown in) are badass muthafuckers.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 7:24am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some tournaments give you 5 points instead of 2 if you hit a throw that lands you in a dominant position. Basically, they give you 2 for the throw and 3 for getting past the guard. I have no issue with that as long as they apply the same standard, IE you must hold the dominant position and show control for a period of time to be given the full five. Otherwise, you just get 2.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 7:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never understood why, in CBJJ rules, you get more points for throwing a guy to his guard then passing (5) than for throwing a guy straight into side control (2), despite the obviously greater awesomeness of the latter.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast