Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 7:32am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead_Matt
    There is man, Tkd has a LOT of deep history behind it, and what I mean by traditional TKD, is TKD in it's true form, which involves all around self defense, ground fighting, weapons fighting, joint locks and of course all of the kicks, don't let the bad reputation brought to TKD by all of the Mcdojangs corrupt your opinion of TKD, at it's best it's a solid, practical all around martial art.
    Please provide me with your lineage. I would like to know what Kwan you're art is stemming from, who your Master and Grandmaster are. Thanks
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 7:41am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is your daddy & what does he do?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    I'm looking at a MA book I've had for three or so decades. It has things which resemble:

These are all in Richard Chun's 1976 book "Tae Kwon Do--The Korean Martial Art" (ISBN#0-06-010779-0). Some of you may have it. Now some of the resemblences are pretty close, such as the throws, breakfall and rolls. Others are, to put it very mildly, superficial, such as the 'guards' and the Aikido-looking stuff. The rest of the book is pretty consistent with TKD as it is assumed to be today, plus head-punches, hooks, uppercuts, and what-not.

My question is this: are the techniques listed above considered part of TKD? TKD was reportedly assembled from a number of styles in the mid-twentieth century, and how much of the styles that made TKD up were Korean and how much was Japanese has been debated elsewhere. I recall, in the Dojang I attended in the 70s, doing a lot of what's in the book, which I have not seen in TKD clubs more recently.

So are all these throws and other stuff part of TKD or just add-ons, better to be just called something like Hoshin-Sul? Just curious...
    I have this book (1st edition, the second one was released this January) and another one of his from Ohara publications.

IIRC Chun is a Moo Duk Kwan guy. I spent a number of years in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan, and never saw any groundwork. As far as I can tell from the Moo Duk Kwan's history resources, there wasn't any groundwork in their martial arts. My guess would be that Chun picked up some Judo here and there and put it into his system.
    Last edited by EternalRage; 9/05/2008 11:28am at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    I have this book (1st edition, the second one was released this January) and another one of his from Ohara publications.

IIRC Chun is a Moo Duk Kwan guy. I spent a number of years in Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan, and never saw any groundwork. As far as I can tell from the Moo Duk Kwan's history resources, there wasn't any groundwork in their martial arts. My guess would be that Chun picked up some Judo here and there and put it into his system.
    I don't think he ever did Yudo, but I could be mistaken. You are correct that MDK does not contain ground work. Let me clarify something. When I am talking about arm bars I'm talking about Jujitsu type arm bars now simple arm locks that can be found in almost all martial arts. TKD does contain some simple traps and locks, that are indigenous to TKD (well karate I should say) However they are not extensive like that of jujitsu.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 2:21pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His book says he's from MDK background.

There are some in there (pg 276+) in the Self-defense section, that look much like a standard arm bar. Someone choking you from the side, knee in, other leg over etc, ends up being an arm bar (although he says then 'break the wrist').

In my own background of TKD, almost all of the grappling or joint lock techniques came from outside sources and had simply been included in the curriculum. I'm sure some were simply remnants of it's Shotokan roots.
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728