Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:31pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WEC's Unusual Marketing

Does anyone else think it's hypocrytical that Zuffa is so bent on making MMA look like a legitimate sport and trying so hard to stay away from super danerous specticle and the "thug image" that the media sometimes makes it out to be, yet they only enforced these negative stereotypes with WEC's marketing style? Take their TV spots on Versus for example:

TV Spot One: A MMA fighter is shown gritting his teeth while he trains hard and grapples with someone. Voice over: "I have no problem inflicting pain or recieving it, that's just part of the game. When you walk out of the cage with me, you know you're going to be hurt...if you can even walk out at all."

TV Sport Two: MMA fighters are shown training in a dimly-lite gym, they grunt loudly and drip sweat everywhere while they do strange exercises. Voice over: "When you get hit in the cage, you're not thinking about attacking your opponent. You're not thinking about what your trainer told you to do in practice...you're just trying to surrvive!" Close up of a fighter biting down hard on a piece of rope in his mouth with a weight attached.

TV Spot Three: POV shot of a heavily tattooed MMA fighter beating the **** out of someone from the victim's vantagepoint, complete with over the top bone-crunching sound effects. Voice over: "I don't fight for the fame or for the money. I fight because when you step in the cage with me, I f*****g hate you!"

I just think it's kind of strange that the UFC, Dana, and Zuffa are so concerned about what is good for the sport and keeping such a squeaky clean image of it. They get all up in arms when a street fight happens on their show (TUF), and take offense when a newscaster calls MMA fighters thugs, but then they go and let TV spots like this be used for the WEC.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to hate on MMA marketing, I'd start with tapout.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:39pm

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    And the show. God. Along with movies like american ninja and bloodsport, VS is almost unwatchable.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I meant that abomination of a program. It's like some asshole middle manager's idea of what "edgey" is. Jesus christ I'd rather **** a blender than watch that. If you murdered the entire cast, you'd probably get some sort of medal. And a parade.

Extra suck because the concept of following up and comers is a pretty cool idea.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 2:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the OP recent?
    IFL earlier this year had a promo which had one of their fighters being carried out on a stretcher after. That did cause some scandal and makes me wonder which group of imcompetents are doing the marketing for them.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Is the OP recent?
    IFL earlier this year had a promo which had one of their fighters being carried out on a stretcher after. That did cause some scandal and makes me wonder which group of imcompetents are doing the marketing for them.
    To be fair, swiftly followed by an apology from the management. Apparently the production/editing company had their own 'ideas'.

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 2:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before or after the uproar came?

Nothing would be broadcast without approval, unless their structure is in disorder.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    word. Tapout, and the fucking show is the worst of the worst. What the **** is that with the make up in the face and ****?

I do see where Natan's coming from. The third tv spot (the "I fucking hate you" commercial) is just fucking retarded. It's no different from that stupid IFL "guy on stretchers" bomb. Those commercials make my eyes bleed.

The way I see it is like this.

[politically incorrect pimp mode]
    The UFC is the most visible face MMA has in US TV. Almost everybody knows what UFC is, very few know what PRIDE, IFL or WEC are. So this is the chick you take to momma's home. The discrete make up, skirt covering the knees and ****. Ah, lovely.

WEC is the kitty freak, the booty call, skanky make-up, the one you like with the mini skirt that almost gives a money shot, and the inches-tall stripper heels that end up pointing to the ceiling.

In essence, it's double standard ****. One mask is used to give legitimacy to the sport; the other is used to appeal to the dumbfucks who assert their hard-coreness by watching bloody slugfests.

Marketing execs and Dana White himself will use these masks according to the situation.
    [/politically incorrect pimp mode]
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:26pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the Tapout show: My Tivo took it upon itself to record the episode of this where they picked up some fighter named Matt Major. I have never wanted to see someone beaten so bad in all my life. Anyone else see this?

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, I think it was on Monday. Major needs to cool the **** down and eat some humble pie, and the tapout guys need to get rid of that halloween ****.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast