Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 2:09am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is This The Most Legitimate Method?

In my BJJ school, generally we're taught a few techniques from a certain position each class, we drill them, we drill guard passing and then we roll live.

Only problem is, I'm a dopey white belt with no fundamentals.

Don't get me wrong, I really like training there. The people are great, the instructors are very talented, and obviously the other students are picking up the material. I'm just not certain that, at least at this point in time, I'm going to get very much out of the approach. I feel like a syllabus of some sort would make more sense for me, i.e. learning and mastering the basic bottom guard attacks and sweeps, opening and passing from guard top, and so on in a sort of logical progression. The white belt-specific classes may or may not address this, but circumstances have me invariably barred from them for the foreseeable future.

Is this method the most viable, and I should just keep going and hope to pick up the basics?

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 8:37am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say yes but what is the alternative?
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that there is one, especially because as far as schools go I can't really go anywhere else. It would seem that my only possible choice would be that, or teaching myself out of the Gracies' books as well as training one-two times a week at the school.

Would the risk be too great of acquiring bad habits? It seems like the books are pretty comprehensive, and cover mostly everything. Might I supplement my time in class with learning and practicing techniques from instructionals?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkolmr
    In my BJJ school, generally we're taught a few techniques from a certain position each class, we drill them, we drill guard passing and then we roll live.

Only problem is, I'm a dopey white belt with no fundamentals.

Don't get me wrong, I really like training there. The people are great, the instructors are very talented, and obviously the other students are picking up the material. I'm just not certain that, at least at this point in time, I'm going to get very much out of the approach. I feel like a syllabus of some sort would make more sense for me, i.e. learning and mastering the basic bottom guard attacks and sweeps, opening and passing from guard top, and so on in a sort of logical progression. The white belt-specific classes may or may not address this, but circumstances have me invariably barred from them for the foreseeable future.

Is this method the most viable, and I should just keep going and hope to pick up the basics?
    How long have you been training? Also if you think in terms of "hope", you may as well quit. Seriously. Barring classes for white belts, you have no choice but roll and roll.

But before going any further, have you talked to your instructor or your more experienced partners? Doesn't your school have an open mat day where you could meet up with someone and perhaps help you with some basics? How about privates?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 12:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training about five months, not as regularly as I would like.

I will talk to one of my instructors about it, although I'm not confident that I'll get an answer besides "roll and roll," and it seems to me that that's just a totally inefficient way of going about it. I honestly feel (feel, not know) like I'd be better off drilling out of a book at my level.

The open mat times are right after the classes, and since the only days I can make open mat are the days I go to class, I'm usually shot by then anyway.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 1:13pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are lots of answers, but just off the top of my head...

Noone ever feeds you positions that look exactly like the pictures. No matter how perfect your technique is, you need to roll with people to learn how to recognize what those situations look like in real life.

timing timing timing

pressure pressure pressure

rolling drills in some basic rules in ways that you won't learn them drilling, because you get penalized when you don't.

Basically you are drilling into your head a set of learned reactions, most of which you are only barely aware of while you are doing it. Memorizing series of moves is the method of learning, not the content.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training about five months, not as regularly as I would like.

I will talk to one of my instructors about it, although I'm not confident that I'll get an answer besides "roll and roll," and it seems to me that that's just a totally inefficient way of going about it. I honestly feel (feel, not know) like I'd be better off drilling out of a book at my level.

The open mat times are right after the classes, and since the only days I can make open mat are the days I go to class, I'm usually shot by then anyway.
    I'd like to point out that the first few months you are not going to learn much other than in getting better at using your body on the ground. And frequency will dictate how well you learn. If this were an inefficient way to do it, don't you think this would have changed long ago (I mean, this has been going on for decades, producing a kazillion of good grapples - the proof is in the pudding man.)

Rolling and rolling and constant feedback from your partners and instructors is what will get you to lean your basics. You can always opt for privates, and if available, white-belt level classes. People learn by this system. As I said, the proof is in the pudding.

You won't go far drilling out of a book dude.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The white belt-specific classes may or may not address this, but circumstances have me invariably barred from them for the foreseeable future.
    i believe that every question, answer, and thoughtful point in this thread must be viewed in light of this quote.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 10:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just fucking train.

Your going to feel like your making huge progress, then your going to feel like your not making any.

Just keep fucking training.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/14/2008 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even more reason to do them. When you're tired you have to rely more on technique instead of muscling through things.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast