Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/28/2003 8:44am

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far MT, GR, Freestyle and Judo have been mentioned. How many have you done?

GR is the only one mentioned that I haven’t competed in. When I was in Judo I bought a book on GR (still have it) and used some of the GR stuff in Judo. I think GR and Judo compliment each other very well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 2:43pm

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends on the context.... I am a judoka but when I have been doing MMA, I focus more on greco aspects. No gi changes the whole game, for example I personally find it hard to nail osotogari in a no-gi match. My morote-seoinage(shoulder throw) goes out the window as well.

With clothes on, Judo becomes dangerous again. But if Parisyan could do it without a gi.....

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 8:04pm

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by frankdooks
    My morote-seoinage(shoulder throw) goes out the window as well.
    There is a version of ippon seoinage called the “drop shoulder throw”. It doesn’t need to use a Gi and works from a more crouched posture than ippon seoinage. I have used it once on the street and it worked well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2003 11:49pm

Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really do not believe it is a matter of what is the best by opinion of others, but what is best for you.

I my self would go with a school that has both judo and freestyle wrestling. There is one in my area, I went to it a few times, and they really seemed to work hard, the classes were two hours long, so you actually had time to spar and didn't spend half the class warming up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    remmah has said it right.

I like both judo and wrestling. I even like Sambo. There is a lot of crossover between the sports anyway.

disaster master,
    Seoi-nage in all its forms is my tokui-waza. I have to ask though, when you used a drop-seoi on the street did it hurt your knees? I use it all the time in randori, but I wear kneepads...

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    drop seonagi on the street sounds a bit dangerous. the best judo throws for the street are normally the ones you can do with a grip on the head, like koshi garuma....... i did classic ippon seonagi all the time on beginners before they get their gi, so it can be done quite well no-gi

kneepads----was that a habit you picked up in prison?

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i managed uchi-mata in the street once with a head control

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where do you train at drunkenj? you're from europe aren't you?

rgd the kneepads, I used to never wear them. One day my coach said to me, 'son, anyone who uses drop-seoi as much as you, and DOES'NT wear kneepads, has got to be an idiot'. LOL

He was right.... at age 21 I had to take a hiatus from judo, even ne-waza was harsh on the knee joint. And this was even AFTER i started to wear kneepads. I take glucosamine daily now, and limit the dropthrows. Hopefully I'll still be able to do judo 10 years down the line, but the unfortunate fact of Judo is that if you want to compete at a high level, you need all the help you can get, i.e. if you're good at dropthrows, keep doing em.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FrankDooks, what kind of grappling and clinch techniques does Dux-ryu stylists train? Is it anything specific like set moves or is it more of a sensitivity thing (like Wing Chun)? I haven't had much info on the style and would appreciate some info. Thanks.

Posted On:
    12/03/2003 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry frankdooks i dont want to give away specifics. I am one of these paranoid types, but yeah i am from uk and do judo, previously did a bit of jkd and mt
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast