Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 12:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    I owe you pushups.
    I'll sit on your back during said push-ups and read from the Karatedo.
    Last edited by franz_grinder; 5/12/2008 12:58pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mas Oyama's KK is very straightforward. There isn't alot of sideways circling. More side-steps to angles and bullrushing , for lack of better terms.

Shotokan guys are a little more elusive as they are point players. These are the guys that are pulling rolling thunder's more often in the ring. Kyokushin guys do this as well of course - It's karate.

There are different schools of karate. As a TMA I would include styles like Kempo/Kenpo and their offshoots karate as well. At least the more effective schools and Japanese schools are Karate-orientated. It's a more diverse martial art than anyone on this thread seems to believe. Beyond chambering punches and all that **** it would seem that people need to educate themselves about Karate in general. Not just the Bullshido way.

This is just one way to play the Kyokushin Game:

YouTube - Midori Kenji 5th World Champion Kyokushin Karate

Their are tons of other styles.

Posted On:

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMikeATT
    I wouldn't go as far as to call some of those guys as Karate fighters.

More like Karate influenced, or comes from a Karate backround.

I bet if you asked a lot of those guys what 'style' they associate themselves with, they wouldn't say Karate.

Most of them would probably say MMA or a mix of x, y, and z styles.
    Not always the case. I cant find the quote, but I read a qoute by GSP where he pretty much stated, at his core, he still just considers himself a karate fighter.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    "You should enter every combat with the idea that there is no retreat; the momentum of battle should always be forward."

--Mas Oyama, "Essential Karate" (1978), p.73.
    "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"

- Muhammad Ali

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe
    Karate shows up in MMA more as footwork than anything else.

Karate striking is more hit and run and weird angles and Muay Thai more blunt force trauma, the best practitioners like Machida and GSP combine the two.

The dropping of hands is common to any fighter from any style.
    That's an accurate description of Liddell's style.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:09pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a load of crap. There are many different types of kickboxers (and MT fighters). Some are more mobile, others like to slug it out more. Its not like there is a rule that says they all just move forward. Try comparing Khaoklai Kaennorsing with Mike Zambidis. They both do Muay Thai, but fight very differently.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    What a load of crap. There are many different types of kickboxers (and MT fighters). Some are more mobile, others like to slug it out more. Its not like there is a rule that says they all just move forward. Try comparing Khaoklai Kaennorsing with Mike Zambidis. They both do Muay Thai, but fight very differently.
    I suggest you try reading the other posts as well before responding, it will stop people thinking you're a semi retarded monkey with Internet access

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:22pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest you try reading the other posts as well before responding, it will stop people thinking you're a semi retarded monkey with Internet access
    I suggest you do the same because it looks like the point went over your head. My post was not aimed at you, it was aimed at franz_grinder.

His arguement is that Chuck Liddell has to be fighting like a Karate fighter because of the way he moves backwards and punches from weird angles. My response is that there are many kickboxers who fight that way as well. Its not something thats only done by guys with Karate background. It can just as well have come from his kickboxing background.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:25pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do Goju, Muay Thai and something calles STX which is Savate Thai Cross training (which is closer to my ideal than anything)

I am not talking about cutting angles so much as hit and retreat.

When I do Muay Thai, there's evasiveness and movement, but they always stress you want to be the one pressing forward.

it's not a judgement just an observation.

For example the way MT checks kicks is different than Karate. My Karate has always been to be get out of the way of the kick with speedy footwork.

Sometimes this is a good thing to do sometimes it's bad.
    I agree. Point system encourages shin checks and moving forward as the agressor in MT. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    I suggest you do the same because it looks like the point went over your head. My post was not aimed at you, it was aimed at franz_grinder.

His arguement is that Chuck Liddell has to be fighting like a Karate fighter because of the way he moves backwards and punches from weird angles. My response is that there are many kickboxers who fight that way as well. Its not something thats only done by guys with Karate background.

Maybe someone will give you a prize for being redundant and irrelevent. You're a troll. Troll's see writing on the internet as something to misconstrue and interpret any way they see fit. It's the self-importance that comes from anonymity.

I don't want to argue this point anymore. I think he represents karate well. I think his interviews in black belt magazine represent karete better than most TMA'ers in that mag. I

t's NOT important for me to change your perspective. I just hope you find time to enlighten yourself through training instead of forum whoring. Maybe you can find a less cynical outlet than come back with a more positive form of arguement. Till than you're flame-bait.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast