Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 7:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    ....almost all top MMA fighters today train in Muay Thai for their standup.
    Randy Couture
    Tim Sylvia
    Fedor Emelianko
    Chuck Liddell
    Matt Hughes
    BJ Penn
    Quinton Jackson
    Rashad Evans
    Nick Diaz
    Karo Parysian
    Caul Uno
    Ryoto Machida
    Kieth Jardine
    Cung Le

Want to rethink that remark?

Usually it goes something like this:
    Boxing-hands
    Kickboxing for feet
    Muay Thai-elbows and knees, clinch

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 3:48am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Randy Couture
    Tim Sylvia
    Fedor Emelianko
    Chuck Liddell
    Matt Hughes
    BJ Penn
    Quinton Jackson
    Rashad Evans
    Nick Diaz
    Karo Parysian
    Caul Uno
    Ryoto Machida
    Kieth Jardine
    Cung Le

Want to rethink that remark?

Usually it goes something like this:
    Boxing-hands
    Kickboxing for feet
    Muay Thai-elbows and knees, clinch
    I've seen videos of Couture training Muay Thai... I admit I assume the majority of his training is/was boxing but you must be kidding if your assuming none of those fighters have had ANY MT training?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 6:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Omega's point was tha Draven was making a comment that Muay Thai is all they train in, which isn't true at all.

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 6:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is just another case of the sackriders with nothing but Fred-Ettish-back-you-know-when on the brain. MMA fighters HAVE to be BJJ/MT-based and there can be no exceptions whatsoever.

Bullshit. A BJJ practitioner can be a cop, a librarian, or an MMA fighter--the latter being possible if he rounds out his game...just as he has to learn the other skills necessary to be a librarian or cop if those are going to be his livelihood. As long as he goes and trains BJJ, he's still a BJJ practitioner no matter which of the above three jobs mentioned (or any others) he does.

The same goes for a Karateka. He can also be a cop, a librarian or an MMA fighter--the latter being possible if he rounds out his game. This will be even less of a transition if his Karate was a hard-hitting style, or he did it in a hard-hitting way with partners as hard-ass as himself, or more so. As long as he continues to train in Karate, he can do any of the above mentioned jobs and still be considered a Karateka. If and when he quits doing Karate, he is then no longer a Karateka.

It's not fucking rocket science.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 10:18am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    I've seen videos of Couture training Muay Thai... I admit I assume the majority of his training is/was boxing but you must be kidding if your assuming none of those fighters have had ANY MT training?
    What Goju said. Training MT doesn't make you a MT fighter anymore than Couture training in BJJ makes him a BJJ fighter. Dumbass over there said "...almost all top MMA fighters today train in Muay Thai for their standup."

Which can be construed as that's all they do. I didn't say he was wrong I said he may want to rethink the comment. As the comment pertains to this thread if a person practices MT then he must be included in that list, which is absurd. It's called MMA for a reason. Draven's an idiot, he knows he's an idiot, I just like pointing out how big of an idiot he is.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 12:39pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, where the **** did I say Muay Thai was ALL they trained in? I simply said they train in MT for their standup. Many of them do something else as well, but most do at least some MT training. English isnŽt my first language so sometimes I have a hard time putting things into words here, so its understandable that some of it gets misunderstood.

Secondly, the term "kickboxing" can mean a **** load of things. Are you talking about American Kickboxing? Where they wear these faggotry pants and arent even allowed to leg kick? If most of the train in that type of "kickboxing" for their kicks then why the **** do these guys use leg kicks so much in the UFC? The line betweem Muay Thai and Kickboxing is very thin these days especially in the west where there are competitions in watered down Muay Thai (no elbows or some ****) which does not deserve being called MT in my opinion. The way I see it, Muay Thai, Pradal Seray, Lethwei, Muay Lao, American Kickboxing, Savate etc. are all forms of kickboxing. Kickboxing, is just an English term for these forms of boxing sports.

Most, if not all of the major MMA camps have a Muay Thai coach. On TUF, both teams have a Muay Thai coach to teach them standup. I never said that none of these guys trained other striking arts than Muay Thai, my point is simply that almost all professional MMA fighters train Muay Thai in one form or another, while only a select few do Karate. Muay Thai is to striking what BJJ is to grappling in MMA. Muay Thai is perfect for MMA fighters because it teaches you all you need for striking in MMA. If your instructor doesnt teach you to box properly, elbow, kick and fight from the clinch he should not have a licence to teach. I can guarantee you that all the fighters you mentioned train in Muay Thai one way or another. Except Cung Le and Machida. But that is only because they are great at another form of stand up fighting. So yeah, they prove that you can succeed without focusing on Muay Thai training. I never said you couldnŽt.

As for your deathmatch challenge...I would love to come to one of these throwdowns. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the world and cant really afford travelling to the US only to get my ass kicked by a balding "kung fu master" in his mid life crisis. Though, I would consider it if you can pay for my flight and accomodation. IŽll wire you my bank account details, 5000 dollars should do the trick
    Last edited by Draven; 5/13/2008 12:45pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 12:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, where the **** did I say Muay Thai was ALL they trained in?
    Read more carefully dumbfuck I already talked about it.
    Secondly, the term "kickboxing" can mean a **** load of things.
    Really you don't say. Gee, thanks for educating me on that heaven forbid that I would go around thinking anything else.
    Are you talking about American Kickboxing? Where they wear these faggotry pants and arent even allowed to leg kick?
    You really are a keyboard warrior aren't you?
    If most of the train in that type of "kickboxing" for their kicks then why the **** do these guys use leg kicks so much in the UFC?
    Is that a rhetorical question?
    The line betweem Muay Thai and Kickboxing is very thin these days especially in the west where there are competitions in watered down Muay Thai (no elbows or some ****)
    I did mention the keyboard warrior thing right?
    which does not deserve being called MT in my opinion.
    They call it muay thai?
    The way I see it, Muay Thai, Pradal Seray, Lethwei, Muay Lao, American Kickboxing, Savate etc. are all forms of kickboxing.
    But you're an idiot we've already established that.
    Most, if not all of the major MMA camps have a Muay Thai coach. On TUF, both teams have a Muay Thai coach to teach them standup.
    Want to rethink this one too? Oh, I forgot you can't think.
    Muay Thai is perfect for MMA fighters because it teaches you all you need for striking in MMA.
    You're an idiot.

As for your deathmatch challenge...I would love to come to one of these throwdowns. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the world and cant really afford travelling to the US only to get my ass kicked by a balding "kung fu master" in his mid life crisis. Though, I would consider it if you can pay for my flight and accomodation. IŽll wire you my bank account details, 5000 dollars should do the trick
    I'll tell you what, you show up to the throwdown. You kick my ass and I'll pay for your flight.
    Last edited by Omega; 5/13/2008 12:55pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 12:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    English isnŽt my first language so sometimes I have a hard time putting things into words here, so its understandable that some of it gets misunderstood.
    Kickboxing, is just an English term for these forms of boxing sports.
    Hilarious.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 1:01pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, you really must be the life of every party.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/13/2008 1:02pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really must be the life of every party.
    Compared to you I'm Hugh Heffnar.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast