Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 10:35pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitterykenshin
    One reason blade kicks are so popular is they can usually be thrown faster and higher with less effort. And we all know that it doesn't matter how much power is actually delivered with a kick, just whoever makes contact first wins - right? Another reason I believe point sparring was created by Satan.
    Uh, no. One reason the blade of the foot is so popular as that it's easier to hold the foot in that position than it is to pull the toes back and strike with the heel. Speed and height have nothing to do with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 10:31am

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I read this thread... and then I did a sidekick in the air with the blade of my foot and spent a second squinting at my foot and going 'WTF?' because I'm pretty sure I'd break my foot that way.

All about the heel, baby.

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 4:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    Uh, no. One reason the blade of the foot is so popular as that it's easier to hold the foot in that position than it is to pull the toes back and strike with the heel. Speed and height have nothing to do with it.
    I'm not advocating the blade, but that's just plain untrue. Holding your foot in a proper blade requires a lot more effort as your toes and ankle have to mold in two different directions instead of just pulling everything up/back towards your shin.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using the blade is structurally weak. That should be the end of this stupid discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 6:20pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    I'm not advocating the blade, but that's just plain untrue. Holding your foot in a proper blade requires a lot more effort as your toes and ankle have to mold in two different directions instead of just pulling everything up/back towards your shin.
    Based on the number of students I've had to correct because their foot naturally turns to the bladed position on extension, I'm going to have to disagree. I'll give you the caveat of "proper blade" though.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade of foot is dumb, it is weak. Of course you can train it and toughen the foot/ankle so that it can work, but why waste you time?

I walked into a karate place recently. Through the course of talking MA, lineage, history, playing the "do you know....?" game, and other stuff he asks me:

"Can you do this?!"

He then slams a back two knuckle strike (I guess it is just called a backfist) into a wall HARD as hell.
    I was surprised and of course could not do that without breaking my hand.
    But then later I thought, of course I could do that.

All I had to do was use a hammer fist. Same affect and delivered the same way but I don't have to subject my hands to abuse for years to attain it and waste countless hours where I could be training more usefull skills. Just had to change my hand form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2008 8:55pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by THX-1138
    Using the blade is structurally weak. That should be the end of this stupid discussion.
    I think most of us are in agreement on that part. The big question is why the hell it's done. It's one thing when beginning (or lazy) students do it and we correct them, but some places actually TEACH it that way.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 12:22am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many places still teach outdated techniques.
    We really don't need multi-page threads pondering the efficacy of the spear-hand to the solar plexus VS shovel hook or other such nonsense.

Anyone with even a layman's knowledge of physics would laugh at such a discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 4:54am

Style: JJJ/TSD/MT/BJJ/TLA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, that's something that bothers me... when people say things like this are "outdated." I've seen other people say it about, for instance, chambered blocks. The human body hasn't changed significantly since these blocks and kicks were devised. If they aren' t useful now, they never were.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    6/14/2008 10:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point is, back then they also used a rock to kill someone, for most of the time humans have evolved and try to be sophisticated, using knifes and guns nowadays.
    Some of those techniques or to be more precise the way they are/have been practised have been modified either for teaching reason or pure cosmetic effect.
    Or people just striped down the technique to its "core" using modern science and profound knowledge of human anatomy.
    It is a part of the "aliveness" of a MA that it changes and adapts...
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast