Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 4:22am

Style: Muay Thai. Ansatsuken.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught neither. They showed me the kick but we never talked about the strike part, then I left Karate and never went back. I still do the kick. I have heard about the blade from Happkido, was it? From experence in practice, obviously the ball does not work for this kick, I use the heel, it is solid and hard and that is what you need for KO if hitting the head. Personally I dont think the blade of the foot would transfer the weight of the kick as power as well as the heel does. But this is hard to gauge from kicking a bag, given the entire foot hits the bag you cant really test this. I dunno if anyone want me to kick em and find out... Dunno another easy way. Just kick some idiot twice and see what works for you best.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 4:44am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, part of the confusion comes from the fact that making a blade-like shape with your foot can help keep your heel high and toes back, and keeps your foot tight in case you glance with the ball of your foot . . . while you kick with the heel, not the blade. It's protective form for your foot. Saying that formation means you hit with the foot "blade" is kind of like saying that tucking your thumb means you're supposed to hit people with it when you punch.

I find taking that foot shape helps me because I have a big turn-out with my foot, so if I just drive my heel back my toes will float the wrong way. I don't think everybody needs to do it.

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 4:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    In my experience, part of the confusion comes from the fact that making a blade-like shape with your foot can help keep your heel high and toes back, and keeps your foot tight in case you glance with the ball of your foot . . . while you kick with the heel, not the blade. It's protective form for your foot. Saying that formation means you hit with the foot "blade" is kind of like saying that tucking your thumb means you're supposed to hit people with it when you punch.

I find taking that foot shape helps me because I have a big turn-out with my foot, so if I just drive my heel back my toes will float the wrong way. I don't think everybody needs to do it.
    Actaully, I think I heard that before. It makes sense. I will give it a try.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/23/2008 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned to use the outside edge of the foot when hitting low, to the knee or shin. When doing this, the edge near the heel is used, not towards the toes. This can make use of the edge of a boot or shoe, like chopping a shin with a coup de bas. For higher targets, you need to arch your ankle funny to hit with the edge and that would be bad for your structure, so the heel is used.

Posted On:
    5/24/2008 8:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I learned to use the outside edge of the foot when hitting low, to the knee or shin. When doing this, the edge near the heel is used, not towards the toes. This can make use of the edge of a boot or shoe, like chopping a shin with a coup de bas. For higher targets, you need to arch your ankle funny to hit with the edge and that would be bad for your structure, so the heel is used.
    That goes with todays test, too. I had trouble kicking at head height using the blade, only at knee height would it work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 1:30pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    We actually seperate out that low kick as it's own kick. It's also a snapping kick as opposed to a sticking type thrust kick.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aways use the ball and dig it in to the lower stomach when I sidekick. See no reason to use the heel. Extra range and easier to dig in the strike with the ball.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 7:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That just sounds incredibly awkward to me.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 7:27pm

supporting memberstaff