Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 6:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    This 'Hendricks' thug is a fa66ot, i see.

Why don't you guys read good books instead of that kind of ****?
    I do read good books. Perhaps you missed the part where I called it a guilty pleasure?

I've read dostoevsky, doyle, dumas, dickins, milton, longfellow, dante, etc. Classical literature is great, but occasionally I like to read stupid sci-fi/fantasy/suspense novels.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 6:40pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, all your good books i read for school. **** that. i'm not spending my leisure time dealing with **** i have to do work on.

i know hella film students who will occasionally watch a popcorn action flick out of nothing but a desire for a moment of escapism.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 6:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then if it is 'stupid', who really cares about how aikido is portrayed. Is like if i ranted about the Ginaz swordmasters school.... or silicone boobs in pr0n mags.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my hand reach at this moment: Boris Vian, Garcia Marquez, Moliere, Kafka, Hawking, Steinbeck, Joyce, H. Eco and, of course, Shakespeare.

Different tastes, i suppose.

I need to stand to reach Weber.
    I've read Kafka, Hawking, Steinbeck, Joyce, Eco and Shakespeare. I've also read Homer, J.F. Cooper, Pearl Buck, R.H. Heinlein, P. Coelho, Maxwell Maltz, Napoleon Hill, Robert Ludlum, Tom Clancy, Vince Flynn, Carl Hiaasen and Stephen King. I've read Frank Herbert's Dune series, Terry Brooks' Shannara series, J.R.R. Tolkien's works, and most recently the J.K. Rowling series. I've read Nietzsche, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. I've read Whitman, Plato, David McCullough and Ayn Rand. The most recent book I finished is Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto by Chuck Klosterman (which, incidentally, I heartily recommend).

So don't come at me about reading good books instead of ****, you pretentious twat. I read 9 books a month, on average. Hundreds of authors. Some good, some not. I agree that we have different tastes, but my tastes are apparently far more diversified than yours. So STFU with your passive-aggressive attempt at intellectual condescension regarding the Dresden Files as literature.

Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 6:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you think about it, it's just the same as ranting about almost every MA film, ever made....

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 7:00pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then if it is 'stupid', who really cares about how aikido is portrayed. Is like if i ranted about the Ginaz swordmasters school.... or silicone boobs in pr0n mags.
    No. To make an effective comparison, it would be if you started a thread about the Ginaz swordmasters, and then we criticized your choice in reading Dune behind thinly veiled insults.

Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 7:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant!
    If you think about it, it's just the same as ranting about almost every MA film, ever made....
    heh. This is somewhat true. Sometimes is so humourous it's awesome.

For example, this one Jet Li move (I think it was called Fist of Legend or something like that) he uses tons of standing joint locks and breaks tons of bones. It's so hilarious it's good.

There was also a Tony Jaa move (I think) where he busts out a bajillion bone breaking locks on like 50 guys. It's unrealistic as hell for sure, but it's freaking awesome anyways.

Infidel

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 7:52pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's like army dinks watching a hollywood war movie and spending the whole time pointing out the inaccuracies and what's fake.
    'OMG m203 grenades don't blow up like that LOL' and patting themselves on the back.

At one point you gotta say hey it's a movie. It's fake. Even when it's based off something real, it's still fake. You're not a genius when you point out the black dude in predator fires thousands of rounds with a mini gun and isn't carrying enough ammo for it.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 8:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    So don't come at me about reading good books instead of ****, you pretentious twat. I read 9 books a month, on average. Hundreds of authors. Some good, some not. I agree that we have different tastes, but my tastes are apparently far more diversified than yours. So STFU with your passive-aggressive attempt at intellectual condescension regarding the Dresden Files as literature.
    You asked about good literature. If you had asked about bad/escapist (and I'm an avid reader of that ****) my answer could have been different. Of course without that 'I read 9 books a month' JFS'ish chestbumping parking lot reading gongsau.

Are we going to make a list of shitty books we own/have read/in Santa's list for the winner to earn a tag in the line of 'i read shitty books'?. That would be hilarious, Poi. If you want the tag for you, no problem, ask Phrost for one. I'm not going to complaint.

No. To make an effective comparison, it would be if you started a thread about the Ginaz swordmasters, and then we criticized your choice in reading Dune behind thinly veiled insults.
    As if reading that shitty prequels didn't deserve something more than thinly veiled insults. These 'novels' are horrid as literature and those who read and enjoy them (myself included) should be tarred, feathered and anklelocked to death.

Like FLMikeATT said, guilty pleasures. Taking them with all seriousness about content or style doesn't make sense.

However, if you want another 'Aikido sucks and it's for fa66ots' megthread, go for it. They are fun too.
    Last edited by DCS; 5/10/2008 8:03pm at .

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 8:04pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    You're not a genius when you point out the black dude in predator fires thousands of rounds with a mini gun and isn't carrying enough ammo for it.
    With no military experience I was blissfully unaware of that point. And my ignorance helped me enjoy the film's premise (alien hunting expedition meets mercenary commandoes). These type of movies require as much realism as possible. The attention to details differentiates the good from the bad in this genre. Research is critical for the movie maker. Of course, as a movie watcher I try not to be too critical in areas that I have expertise, but I do want to see some effort.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast