Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 7:29am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodizapha
    Haven't you got some bloke's legs you need to be laying between ?
    No, just your significant other's

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 7:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I offer, for your consideration, if the aikidokas at your gym are getting your goat why don't you challenge them. Make it clear it's friendly. In fact,tell them it's a crosstraining exercise. But please don't "vent" on the internet over the innanities of show/book series I liked. I'm already painfully aware of them.
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 5/10/2008 7:42am at .
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 7:40am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist
    No, just your significant other's
    Your post doesn't make sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 8:05am

Style: Wing Chun, C&R

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're discussing the finer methods of critiquing modern fiction you uncultured prole. Go fist yourself.
    Also, none of us would have a problem if she defeated her opponents with superior boxing and judo.

OOOOOOH Sorry about crashing your Bookclub, Can I stay for the closing pledge of sisterhood followed by some Operah and a theatrical rendition of the Joy Luck Club?

Please? :dark1:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 9:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungry
    OOOOOOH Sorry about crashing your Bookclub, Can I stay for the closing pledge of sisterhood followed by some Operah and a theatrical rendition of the Joy Luck Club?

Please? :dark1:
    Go **** a goat you mullet sporting, moonshine drinking, incest loving, NASCAR watching piece of illiterate trailer wank.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 9:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodizapha
    Your post doesn't make sense.
    As in, I'm inbetween your significant other's legs. It's a "o hai i'm doin ur girfirned lol' joke

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 9:25am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire
    What's strange, is the only person I've met in real life who said akido had useful drills for helping with footwork in multiple attacker scenarios was a guy from the local sayoc group who trained primarily at a Straight Blast Gym. He said it was the only drill in aikido that was praticed with any level of resistance when he did it, and the only drill from it he still draws on.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 9:30am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.

Aloha, Poi
    Well, the system uses FATE, so she's not actually using akido- she's using here Fists skill and tagging her "Stronger than she looks" and "One tough cop" Aspects to get bonuses.

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 9:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.
    Karrin Murphy's character corresponds to a general trend in movies and books from the late 1990's to...well, to whenever it stops. It's as if we're overcompensating for generations of unrealistically helpless female characters by writing unrealistically invincible female characters. They're often physically abusive to a degree we'd rightly find unacceptable in a similarly tough male character.

I first noticed this trend in Caleb Carr's The Alienist, where Sara Howard pulls her derringer(!) constantly, waving it in the faces of her friends, occasionally cocking the hammer(!!). She is never held accountable for these incidents.

I'm inclined to think of it as a transitional stage. As we assimilate the idea that women can fight well, we'll probably get around to holding them equally accountable for their violent lapses. Until then, the trend-followers are going to keep writing dreadful crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 10:01am

Style: Wing Chun, C&R

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go **** a goat you mullet sporting, moonshine drinking, incest loving, NASCAR watching piece of illiterate trailer wank.
    Do you write for Hallmark? Cmon you do now dont you? Dont be modest. there you go, I knew it.

Unfortunately though these described "festivities" are not quite what I had in mind so I will have to take a raincheque. enjoy your "Bookclub" though...................... Necrophile :XXblowkis
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast