223838 Bullies, 3646 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 7:59pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well ****, apparently I need to start checking my own website for book reviews before I start a series.

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 8:51pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first book sucks because he intentionally wrote it to be as hackneyed and cliche-ridden as possible to flip the bird at a creative writing professor he had in college. He thought she was teaching bullshit, so he decided to write, in his words, "the most formulaic piece of genre trash possible" to show her she had her head up her ass. That ended up being Storm Front.

The thing with the wild inaccuracies about Chicago gets better later in the series as he actually does some research.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:12am

Style: Freestyle scientific

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi, I'm trolling

Quote Originally Posted by FLMikeATT View Post
    Ok, this is a humorous thread, but I want to point out that Jim Butcher, as much as I like his books, seems to be an Aikido nutrider.

The Dresden Files is a pretty good sci-fi/fantasy series. Not great by any means, but it's reasonably entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure.

Anyways, Karren Murphy, a cop, fucking wristlocks people left and right, and is somehow able to disable 6'6 dudes with ease. There are quite a few times throughout the series when she literally lays out Dresden (who is 6'6 or so) with a punch to the jaw, stomach, or some wristlocky Aikidoish move. Keep in mind that she is described constantly as '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing'. I have to suspend my disbelief because no matter how good a '5 foot nothing, 100 nothing lbs' chick is, the chance in real life to lay out a 6'6 dude is astronomical. He would have to be the most untrained, lazy, out of shape, uncoordinated person ever to get the **** beat out of him (all of the above Dresden isn't), barring a nut shot.

She also consistently beats the **** out of trained thugs with wristlocks and other Aikido moves.

As much as I like Jim for bringing us Dresden Files and Codex Alera, he really needs to stop drinking the Aikido kool aide. The vibe I get from him is that he is a classic example of the small, pseudo intellectual dude who buys into the whole eastern mysticism bullshit to make himself feel better about being small and that technique will always trump meathead strength, etc. It's painfully obvious in his writing.
    Maybe it was choreographed by Seagal? :D
    As for those who say you don't need to be in shape to fight, as long so you have fancy techniques, why don't they try it with a grizzly bear or a gorilla?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to clone you so I can kill you twice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Man I feel you about having to vent over Aikido. I got told yesterday to my face that bjj wouldn't work on the street and that High and mighty aikido could take on multiple opponents.:angryfire
    I had the same reaction when I saw my first Seagal movie, "Above the Law;" 2 minutes into the film, and he was giving "fight-scenes" that looked like an aikido-instruction vid they were so fake.

And of course you had the fanbois-wankers all swooning over how "he can really DO that because 'aikido was made for WAR!'"
    Yeah so was the Swiss Army-knife and the yo-yo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Yeah, that's the one consistent thing about the Dresden Files (book) series that routinely has me groaning. But the greater travesty is the Karrin Murphy character in general. An aikidoka who can physically defeat most opponents (some of whom are supernatural, i.e. vampires), has the CQB skills of an expert SOCOM operator, has a shitty temper, is physically abusive and is banging a half-demon mercenary. As much as I like the series, the whole Karrin Murphy thing always makes me want to stop reading.

Aloha, Poi
    And in a Harry Potter crossover, I'm sure a wristlock can beat "avada kadavra!"

Sounds written by some overweight twit in his mommy's basement.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad this thread got necro'd, because I also have recently started reading the Dresden Files. And I, too, had a harder time buying into Murphy being able to kick ass with Aikido than Harry being able to shoot fire out of his hands. What's more, the author continually references the "Aikido Trophies" in her office to show what a badass she is (who still ends up being weak and delicate and needing to be rescued a lot because Jim Butcher is really kinda sexist).
    Anyways, the series get's substantially better around book three. I didn't mind Stormfront, but I found Fool Moon to be, even for a book about werewolves, to be WAY too about werewolves. The whole thing read like a filler episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    Anyways, **** gets good in Book Three. I've really come to admire the character of Harry in his diehard commitment to trolling, which starts kicking in around then.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had to make some posts in order to post links in another thread.....

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 1:51am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well do it in newbietown, noob. Stop bringing forgotten **** to the top of my feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2012 3:08am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading Ghost Story at the moment. There's a training scene with Murphy and one of the Einherjar, the Bullshido remains fairly strong.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast