Administrator

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what I did when I taught.

The one way I found that works, is to get the delusional student to hold a pad. I then have said person he thought he held his own against light up the pad. That usually works.

It also works with the delusional people that believe strength doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, sometimes a smack down is needed.

*edit*
    I find that if you just parry or block every single shot they throw, you can actually not throw any back and they still get the point. If you aren't good enough to do this, of course, then it doesn't work.
    I've found this can be damaging in some cases. These people then think they need to go harder. Then they have just taken another step backwards.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geordi, you really don't think that just out wrestling someone so they are always in a bad position like switching knee on belly and mount and N-S while keeping them on the bottom isn't enough to get the point across? I find that demonstration pretty telling because its not even about locks or chokes just whether or not the person can even get up.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kicking pads does help especially if you can hurt them right through th pad. lol

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:24pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a real issue for me since I teach a boxing class, and most of the guys there are 170 and up. I'm 155 on a good day. I find it hard sometimes to find the right amount of contact to use.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yes. The shock that goes through faces when you hit someone and they drop. Beautiful.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I tend to believe this is a fundamental difference between striking and grappling but does anyone have experience getting the point across while exclusively striking without really dropping bombs on someone?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^^ the clip I was referring to in my earlier post. Silva is clearly 100x superior in striking ability to Rich Franklin.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA,WC,SILAT,NINJITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "does anyone have experience getting the point across while exclusively striking without really dropping bombs on someone?"

I do, if you check out my posts on the WC thread this span off from, and as you can imagine its fraught with difficulty, I dont mind personally taking a few smacks in the mouth from a friend to let me know what I did wrong, but as stated already things can escalate very quickly and get messy if you arent careful. I wouldnt spar full blast at the throwdowns or similar for these reasons:

In my experience, although I may sound like a twat in saying this, and especially if you are both Alpha male types who dont back down, its just not a good idea, thats why grappling is so much 'safer' in that way, theres just less shock involved and its much more of a chess game. If you are blizzarding strikes at each other at full pelt, someone gets hit who you dont really know and havent trained with, it may as well be a proper fight. I mean:

You dont know this person - consequently
    You dont understand this person- consequently
    You dont trust this person

Given this scenario a smack in the mouth just isnt a smack in the mouth, its difficult enough punching a friend properly, never mind a stranger, and pulling punches and at the same time maintaining a pretence of reality is very difficult.

Ill post more on the Chun thread also about this, and unfortunately it will revolve around stuff like this already mentioned:

"Well, if it had been real I'd have killed you"

Sorry but it can be true sometimes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:38pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, when you guys become Silva let me know. I've seen instructors get tagged on occasion and that video isn't a fair representation.

That is a fight. Yes, that would be demoralizing. Thing is if you are keeping the contact at their level, that isn't going to work.

DO many variables going on in their mind. You aren't trying to demoralize and lose a student.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found this can be damaging in some cases. These people then think they need to go harder.
    :D

That's when you let'em break their hands. Or drop them. Either works fine.

Geordi, you really don't think that just out wrestling someone so they are always in a bad position like switching knee on belly and mount and N-S while keeping them on the bottom isn't enough to get the point across? I find that demonstration pretty telling because its not even about locks or chokes just whether or not the person can even get up.
    I did think that, until I encountered idiots who didn't. When I was on high levels of test, I became one of those idiots. I felt the stupidity in myself. Thing is, I knew enough not to let my arm get broken, but I did get choked out a couple times. But for people with more ignorance and less intelligence, with high levels of test and adrenaline...it doesn't seem to matter. Out-wrestling them just made them think "he's just lucky/stronger/cheating/insert-bullshit-here" and they came back the next time trying to "win" and thinking they always have a shot.

Anyways, I say just put them on their ass if they get out of hand, and if they delude themselves...who really cares? You can always tell them afterward "that was at 25% intensity" or whatever, if they don't believe you...****'em.

Yes, when you guys become Silva let me know. I've seen instructors get tagged on occasion and that video isn't a fair representation.
    My instructor does that kind of thing all the time, except he'll let them hit him in the head, just not the face. Sometimes it takes a minute or two before they decide their hands have had enough punishment.
    Last edited by Roidie McDouchebag; 5/06/2008 12:47pm at .
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast