Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaney
    150/200 students eh.
    I'll come back to this thread when I've got further than being assistant instructor to about 10.
    And yes, I probably have jinxed it, let the gut kicking commence.
    Hey, I was exactly where you were about 15 years ago no worries.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    Why shouldn't you be able to kick people in the gut, if thats what they are there to learn?
    Frivoulous lawsuits were big back in the day. My former instructor was actually sued (case was dropped IIRC) because a guy broke his wrist during sparring.

If you have doubts about the teacher, or the things he is teaching, you should be able to test these things out. Besides, most schools have waivers regarding lawsuits, though I've never known this to be a problem.
    They don't save you from time and money if, it isn't a bigger chain. It isn't as prevalent now, that may be why you haven't heard anything.

To me that is one of the other goodby products of MMA and NHB in America. It is much easier to argue this is what we do instead of, philosophical claptrap.

Posted On:
    6/03/2008 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well lets say this is true, i dont really know because i have ever only done muay thai and boxing, what should i get into to get a good grappling game?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/04/2008 6:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkling
    well lets say this is true, i dont really know because i have ever only done muay thai and boxing, what should i get into to get a good grappling game?
    Totally wrong forum man. go introduce yourself in Newbietown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2008 10:27am

Style: hard work work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark

Striking will never reach the level of "purification" that grappling has because you can't gently apply striking to the point of "Oh now I see why I suck".

When you do BJJ you can completely dominate someone and never hurt them. If they are a reasonable person they understand how badly they have been beaten. In Striking you just feel someone out and then settle at their level so as not to hurt them. that is pretty much the only way to have a "friendly" striking match.
    In fencing there's a concept called presence/absence of blade. This just means that your blades are making contact or not. When I used to fence I found that with presence of blade there was a tactile communication that let you figure out real quick who was better.

That's what WS is talking about: tactile communication. Rolling with somebody who is better than you is like drowning. Every move you make screams to them what you're doing.

Getting beat in striking is like getting paddled as a little kid. Sure, you remember the punishment, but really all you learn is not to get caught.

Drowning on the mat makes you sit and stare at your own suckiness as your life passes before your eyes.

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 1:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon
    In fencing there's a concept called presence/absence of blade.
    Unless it's quantum fencing, in which the blade has "tendencies to be there or not there".

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 1:18pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quantum fencing is much harder than ordinary fencing because you can either know where your opponent's blade is or the angle of his attack, but never both at the same time. Also, if you leave two small openings in your guard, he can slip his blade through both at the same time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:13pm

Style: hard work work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    Quantum fencing is much harder than ordinary fencing because you can either know where your opponent's blade is or the angle of his attack, but never both at the same time. Also, if you leave two small openings in your guard, he can slip his blade through both at the same time.
    I know, right? I gave it up after getting pwned by this guy who was into super-string fencing. He called me a noob cause I only knew 3 parries and he knew 10.

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 2:30pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, right? I gave it up after getting pwned by this guy who was into super-string fencing. He called me a noob cause I only knew 3 parries and he knew 10.

w.....Wah? You all are making my head hurt with all this quantum/superstring fencing talk. You are thinking about it too much. Here is how to fence:

You have a stick. You hit your opponent with the stick, and try not to get hit yourselves. Super.

While your friend is trying to think of which of his 10 parries to use, I would be holding his striking arm and bashing him in the face. I once did some escrima sparring with a fma instructor who is now a good friend of mine. He said he wouldn't need headgear because I had never trained escrima before. He regretted it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2008 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I applaud your humor. Your branes are clearly very big.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19 LastLast