Our Sponsors:

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 1819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 1:44pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised that you guys even allowed him back in the club after the sucker punch incident. Seriously, somthing must be done about the douche.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 1:56pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you do BJJ you can completely dominate someone and never hurt them. If they are a reasonable person they understand how badly they have been beaten. In Striking you just feel someone out and then settle at their level so as not to hurt them. that is pretty much the only way to have a "friendly" striking match. Unfortunately it is clear path to people making excuses and saying things like "My _____ worked fine because Whiteshark who is the moderator of Strikeistan didn't kick my ass."
    I donīt agree with that. You can definatly outstrike someone, sweep him, bully him in the clinch and dominate him completely without hurting him too much. Its not as easy as in BJJ. But if you are a lot more skilled than your opponent and you canīt outstrike him without being an asshole then you really arent that good at all.

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 2:48pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordi LaForge

Heelhooks were not allowed. He did it anyway. I thought, at the time, that he just didn't know what he was doing. This is the same kid who sucker punched me in class. When he later told me that he knew what the heel hook was about to do and did it anyway...right at that moment, I wanted to break his neck. Very specifically, I just had this urge to neck crank him and not stop. I didn't. I guess that's a good thing...prison would suck.
    Did he have a reason for such immense hate, or he just a royal jerk?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 6:20pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, serious, WTF, how is this kid still allowed in your club?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:01pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Despite my limited knowledge of fighting full contact, I've had a lot of experience at semi-contact sparring. I'd be the first to admit this is a poor way to train but it has it's benefits when it comes to showing someone you can own them without having to lobotomise them.

Personally I'd like to think that when i wipe in sole of my foot down someone's face, or re-arrange their perfectly nice hair-do with the leg that they know that had I felt like it I could have easily turned up the dial and done some actual damage.

Having said that I don't actually care if they don't know I'm better than them, I know and 9 times out of 10 that's good enough. If it happens to be that 1 in 10 then I just kick them in the gut and let them reconsider their views....

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:10pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaney
    Despite my limited knowledge of fighting full contact, I've had a lot of experience at semi-contact sparring. I'd be the first to admit this is a poor way to train but it has it's benefits when it comes to showing someone you can own them without having to lobotomise them.
    Again situation. Class I agree 100%. At a TD not so much if, you are there to test your skills.

Personally I'd like to think that when i wipe in sole of my foot down someone's face, or re-arrange their perfectly nice hair-do with the leg that they know that had I felt like it I could have easily turned up the dial and done some actual damage.
    I've actually sparred enoough people to know that isn't the case with semi(?) light contact sparring. Many of the people I have encountered figure lucky shot. In class it always got fixed when we put the gloves on. Good contact changes many things including perceptions.

Having said that I don't actually care if they don't know I'm better than them, I know and 9 times out of 10 that's good enough. If it happens to be that 1 in 10 then I just kick them in the gut and let them reconsider their views....
    Well, some of us are instructors so, you should take that into account.

I'm not going to link the thread but, we have a prime example, in another thread, of the delusions birthed from light contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that light contact can breed complacency, I think that just depends on the awareness of the person to the limitations of that type of sparring. Having said that, if they're that aware we wouldn't have any of these issues anyway, they'd know they were being owned.

Agreed you can't go around kicking people in the gut if you've got a school to teach/lawsuits to worry about but my instructor has always found ways of making sure I knew he was still top dog even if I did land a decent shot.

I guess I'm lucky in the people I've sparred with, I've yet to meet someone that was being a dick on purpose and kept going full on even when he knew he was bested. Hopefully I don't have to put up with sparring someone I clearly outclass who just wants to keep stepping up the tempo. Surely though, if they choose to step up the tempo they can't get outraged when you hit back at equal strength.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:24pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that light contact can breed complacency, I think that just depends on the awareness of the person to the limitations of that type of sparring. Having said that, if they're that aware we wouldn't have any of these issues anyway, they'd know they were being owned.
    Id'd sya it is about 80/20 maybe 70/30. A large majority of students get it. Some actually good students don't. Then you have the asses.

Agreed you can't go around kicking people in the gut if you've got a school to teach/lawsuits to worry about but my instructor has always found ways of making sure I knew he was still top dog even if I did land a decent shot.
    No, this actually more a reference to your "I don't" care comment. When I taught I sparred at "your" level. If you wanted to go harder I made sure to express the difference in our levels, then we went at it. I still pulled punches but, on a few occasions, a good gut check is a good learning tool.

Out of the 150/200 students I taught, I can say less than twenty deserved a good ass beating. Thing is I never handed them out as a teacher.

I guess I'm lucky in the people I've sparred with, I've yet to meet someone that was being a dick on purpose and kept going full on even when he knew he was bested. Hopefully I don't have to put up with sparring someone I clearly outclass who just wants to keep stepping up the tempo. Surely though, if they choose to step up the tempo they can't get outraged when you hit back at equal strength.
    Good on you. Hope you never encounter it but, I bet you just jinxed yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    150/200 students eh.
    I'll come back to this thread when I've got further than being assistant instructor to about 10.
    And yes, I probably have jinxed it, let the gut kicking commence.

Posted On:
    5/15/2008 5:34pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why shouldn't you be able to kick people in the gut, if thats what they are there to learn?

If you have doubts about the teacher, or the things he is teaching, you should be able to test these things out. Besides, most schools have waivers regarding lawsuits, though I've never known this to be a problem.