Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 3:53pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordi LaForge
    I wasn't rolling anywhere, the gotard just cranked it and they ALL went. I can't really say which first, I only had time to scream.
    Holly god. Did he trap your knee as well?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 4:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,WT,Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting your limbs crippled like an extra in a Steven Seagal movie sucks way more than a broken nose,especially because it happens for real.

That again is an interesting point: regardless for how often things (dont) get ugly in Grappling,when they do,it seems like they take a more permanent toll on your ability to fight and train than a couple of black eyes and a bruised ego.

Again, your opponent being a noob who decides he needs to up the ante to keep face makes this worse,since you may have the restraint to wait for a tap or only go for chokes,where as he will take any hold he can over you and get overly excited...leading to the **** Geordi described.

a Noob escalating it into a solid fast punch and a busted lip to repay your generosity to go easy on him doesnt sound nearly as bad.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen noobs kick people in the knees and punch people in the spine, with disastrous results. In fact, it tends to be worse the the grappling catastrophes, although LaForge's injury is pretty horrible--worst I've heard someone tell me about in a grappling match.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 4:48pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my arm in Muay Thai and have a 6" titanium plate with 7 screws in it. That kinda sucks.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 4:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait...someone actually took a shot to a resisting opponents back and managed to down him? a noob,no less? talk about "critical hit".

Kicking hard for the knees on something that is essentially a friendly fight sounds like someone has totally lost it and is in despair,or a huge asshole way too intent on winning. still, it takes *some* decent skill to shoot out someone´s kneecap on purpose even when youre a decent fighting, even tapping it lightly on a spar is difficult. Id also have to call a "critical hit" scenario for a noob to manage to land one,especially if the other guy is not a noob himself.

the grappling equivalent would be a compound fracture\making **** bend ways it shouldnt?

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 4:55pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i saw a dude pop his knee so bad he never walked right again.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 5:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And as for things that could go wrong...i dont care what anyone says, FMA\weapons sistems take the prize. something like losing nearly half your front teeth from a rattan shot, portions of your skull caved in, the ubiquitous broken fingers...lets face it,there is no nice,harmless part of the body to get hit hard with a weapon.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 6:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I broke my arm in Muay Thai and have a 6" titanium plate with 7 screws in it. That kinda sucks.
    AHA! A cyborg! That explains everything!

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 6:36pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geordi, that really sucks. I personally restrict twisting leg locks if I roll with someone I don't know for this very reason. I don't want to get him, and have him try to twist out of it wrong, and I don't want him slapping one on and cranking immediately. It's just not worth the risk until you are confident that you partner knows what the **** they are doing. Heel hooks are just a dangerous animal, and people shouldn't **** around with them unless they know how they are applied, and where the danger points are.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Escrimator
    Wait...someone actually took a shot to a resisting opponents back and managed to down him? a noob,no less? talk about "critical hit".

Kicking hard for the knees on something that is essentially a friendly fight sounds like someone has totally lost it and is in despair,or a huge asshole way too intent on winning. still, it takes *some* decent skill to shoot out someone´s kneecap on purpose even when youre a decent fighting, even tapping it lightly on a spar is difficult. Id also have to call a "critical hit" scenario for a noob to manage to land one,especially if the other guy is not a noob himself.

the grappling equivalent would be a compound fracture\making **** bend ways it shouldnt?
    The knee kicks are thigh kicks gone amock (bad aim).

As for the back strikes, those are usually flukes, but as anyone who has watched fight quest can attest to, sprawling followed by and elbow to the spine is a natural instinct; and something that noobs can forget not to do.