Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Skinned Knuckles

I'm getting back to bagwork after being away at college.
    Second day and now my left middle finger knuckle is skinned.
    I was wearing harbinger bag gloves.
    What should I do so that my knuckles don't get worse and so it doesn't start burning when I hit the bag tomorrow?
    I don't want to lay off the training since it is only my second day so I was thinking about just putting some neosporin on it and putting some tape over it. Any other advice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 7:59pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear better bag gloves?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get an instructor or coach to work with you on your hands . Then you will learn the basic things like : wrapping your hands , what gloves to use when , how to punch properly , etc .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 8:10am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Move to Strikeistan please.
    Or close it after he follows my advice.

Use liquid skin until it heals. Also, consider hitting the bag correctly. The other possibility is that you have perfect form but your gloves don't fit. In that case stop wearing gloves or wrap your hands under the gloves.

PS- If you ask how to wrap your hands without searching I will perma-ban you from strikeistan.

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 8:29am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a good man, whiteshark.

I'd say it's likely due to form. Have you studied any striking arts that focus on handwork, or has hitting the bag been your major practice? You are probably punching, and then letting your hand graze to the side or diagonally instead of retracting it back on the same line it went out on. Punch straight out and in, like a holepuncher. Even if you are throwing a hook or a punch, consider this. Snap your wrist into your target and return your hand on the same path.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Move to Strikeistan please.
    Or close it after he follows my advice.

Use liquid skin until it heals. Also, consider hitting the bag correctly. The other possibility is that you have perfect form but your gloves don't fit. In that case stop wearing gloves or wrap your hands under the gloves.

PS- If you ask how to wrap your hands without searching I will perma-ban you from strikeistan.
    So let it be written. So let it be done.

ps. Aw ****. I just read the first sentence and moved the thread without reading the second one. Sorry.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 9:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use those same gloves, so unless you're using a size too small, it's probably not the gloves--all the seams are very soft and supple.
    Last edited by maofas; 6/20/2008 9:23am at .

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 3:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nothing at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably shouldn't have said bagwork. It's more conditioning. I was trying our Ross's punch out drills(scroll down for the video) and I think if my technique was what messed up my knuckles, I was probably just getting sloppy.

I've tried wrapping my hands with these gloves before but my hand was too big for the opening and when I forced it, it started to rip. I figured that wraps aren't for these types of gloves and are meant for bigger ones.

Use liquid skin until it heals.
    So should I just lay off using the bag until it heals or do you mean keep punching the bag and just keep using liquid skin until it heals?

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 4:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had it occurred to you that those punching drills were probably intended for people who can punch properly already?

Call me crazy, but I have this revolutionary idea. Learn how to punch first, learn what gloves and wraps to use... and how. Then, later, try those drills.

I mean Jesus man, if your hands don't fit on those gloves when using wraps, to the point that they actually rip at the opening, those gloves are waaay too small for you. You should be getting that **** straight before even considering doing those drills.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    6/20/2008 4:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So should I just lay off using the bag until it heals or do you mean keep punching the bag and just keep using liquid skin until it heals?
    How bad is it anyways? Liquid skin works pretty well on most cuts and scraps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast