Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 3:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/Self Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you maybe search youtube for an example of sombrada (other than the OP) which you think is an acceptable level?
    I've done a quick search (10 minutes), and haven't been able to find anything, as depressing as that is. I'd like to post/say more on this, but am pressed for time. I'll try to get back soon.

Posted On:
    8/18/2009 4:16pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In your time in pekiti, you've done the Tirsia drill, yeah? Would you say that it basically covers the same ground as high box sombrada, or a slightly different purpose in training?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 8:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I've posted a few videos and reviews here.

I have done the Pekiti drill if you're referring to what I know as "thrusts on tapping". I think it's similar but a bit closer in range, in purpose. But that's just my take! Obviously others are doing these drills for completely different reasons.

Posted On:
    8/20/2009 9:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    da'coup d'punyo is the one you're thinking of, and it's much closer range, which really focuses more on forcing the sidestep than anything else.

The Tirsia drill i don't think is in the doce methodos curriculum, it's in the "tri-v formula" compressed curriculum. Basically it compresses all of the "seeking contact" stuff into one subsystem, with one basic flow drill that you then back up and isolate out of to drill the basic techniques. The most simple form of the drill will have lines fed for the luac, umbrella 1, and four wall #1. Of course, more stuff gets added in and then isolated once you've worked it in the flow. We're doing this alternate curriculum in the intermediate class right now, which is a bit novel since we tend to do very little flow drilling outside of knife work under leslie.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2009 2:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Tirsia drill i don't think is in the doce methodos curriculum, it's in the "tri-v formula" compressed curriculum.
    Ok, then no, I haven't done it or seen it. All the Pekiti I've done has been via Bill McGrath and a great instructor under him, Danny Terrell. I would like to learn more about the "tri-v formula" though. Can you give me a quick run down of what it entails?

I think "flow drills" can provide great benefit as long as the techniques within them are done in a realistic manner. These drills give you a way to train a large number of techniques in a short training period, to ingrain unconscious defense and attack, and to train with full speed and power while wearing no gear, with very little chance of injury, for a prolonged period of time. They provide a combination of benefits that no other training methods do. Of course you must supplement them with other training methods. But mixed in, I think they're excellent if done with realistic techniques.

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically all of the "seeking weapon contact" or "meet the force" material gets subsumed under the Tirsia material, which will have the first two stages of material normally seen(umbrellas, four walls, quartering footwork), and then teach you to basically counter everything with that strategy. Broken strikes quick switches will be included in this.

Then the Puntadas, which is "Counter everything with hooking thrusts). Most of the sonkete/Eche kete stuff is covered here.

And then the Contradas, which as basically done as taught in the Doce Methodos. (this is basically the long range, noncontact strategy in pekiti).

Basically, this curriculum has an associated "feeder flow" with each sub-system, with variables added on as you progress, and then isolated into indivdual techniques again.You also work at finding transition points between the three flows, branching variables, etc. This is closer to the currciulum the phillipine marines are being taught under. I don't know any pekiti schools that exclusively use this curriculum

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also of note, the Contradas are normally taught last in the traditional curriculum, and are taught right away in this one.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345