Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 2:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl
    ... I'm sure in korea certain forienger centric areas get seedy and probably not all that safe if you are a female and alone. Anytime you get a bunch of guys together in one spot like that you are going to have problems.
    Not really actually, Korea as a whole has almost no violent crime and the areas around the bases where you think there would be some are really safe. There is a strong police presence almost everywhere as well. There is also a strictly enforced curfew for the military personnel in Korea that Okinawa doesn't have, so you won't see any military personnel late at night. If you couple that with the fact that most soldiers in Korea aren't allowed to drive. so tend to stay on and around post most of the time. The only are I can think of that had any noticeable crime is the russian district in Busan where there are no U.S. Army bases. Honestly being stationed in Korea and stationed in Japan are two totally different worlds.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 3:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    Not really actually, Korea as a whole has almost no violent crime and the areas around the bases where you think there would be some are really safe. There is a strong police presence almost everywhere as well. There is also a strictly enforced curfew for the military personnel in Korea that Okinawa doesn't have, so you won't see any military personnel late at night. If you couple that with the fact that most soldiers in Korea aren't allowed to drive. so tend to stay on and around post most of the time. The only are I can think of that had any noticeable crime is the russian district in Busan where there are no U.S. Army bases. Honestly being stationed in Korea and stationed in Japan are two totally different worlds.

There is now a curfew in Japan for military personnel. This is due to a series of rapes.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks for those guys. I got sent TDY to Okinawa for a week from Korea, with the whole no curfew thing we pretty much drank all night every night. It was awesome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 6:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya south korea would be alot funnier if I didn't have a curfew, at 1am the party is just starting.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 6:43am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Sticks tongue out & does the dance of joy*

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 7:04am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Civillians FTW(???)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/09/2009 9:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo - 40 years ago

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ROK Marines

I'm a US Marine who served with the ROKMC Blue Dragon Brigade in Vietnam, 1967-68. I was with 1st ANGLICO, detached to the Blue Dragons. We accompanied all the infantry companies and their recon platoon in 1-, 2-, and 3-man teams. I served with 9th, 10th, and 11th Companies, and the recon platoon.

Whenever they weren't on ops they practiced daily back in the CP. Many weren't in great form but they were far superior to the enemy in hand-to-hand situations, sometimes employing the e-tool quite effectively.

The purpose of this post is to debunk some of the unfounded rumors I see on the internet. They were outstanding warriors, and they did not massacre innocent civilians in my experience. They did not cut off heads or other body parts in my experience. ANGLICO Marines have annual reunions. I have heard no such stories.

Please don't dishonor those who fought by our sides, providing over 300,000 warriors to fight the communists in Vietnam. And for anyone who wanted me dead, along with Jane Fonda and the like, I MADE IT HOME ALIVE! Thanks to the Korean Marines who took great care of me. I'm pretty sure that the negative comments about Korean Marines are from those who don't know what they are talking about. So far as the treatment of Korean Marines by superiors, you just don't understand the culture. But I understand that kkolabaga is officially prohibited today.

To all the Marines out there,

Semper Fi

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 1:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Anglico!
    My Judo coach was attached to the platoons chongryong (blue dragons) brigade. He said he hauled around a radio, called in air support etc. I was at a tournament and he kept shouting "CHONGRYONG!" and threw me off (I am Korean and my pops was an ROK army officer, when he found that out on came the vietnam war stories)
    His name is Gerald Lafon; but he served from 70 - to the last korean units pulling out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2009 4:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo - 40 years ago

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Roka & rokmc

First, if your Pops was a Tiger, then please tell him Maeng-Ho for me. If a White Horse, then Pil Seung. In either case, please thank him for his service and sacrifice in defense of freedom. I hope is enjoys good health.

Your Pops may be aware of a great bilingual website for Vietnam veterans, http://cafe3.ktdom.com/vietvet/

So far as Gerald Lafon is concerned, he was likely with 1st ANGLICO, Sub Unit 1. ANGLICO Marines have two reunions each year, one coming up at the end of May at Quantico. We ANGLICO Marines would welcome any history he can share.

If he wants to check out a restricted-access website for ANGLICO Marines and those who fought by our sides, he can contact me through you. I'd have to exchange some emails with instructions. Our website is www.1anglico.org/forums. He won't be able to self-register.

Pil-seung

ANGLICO

Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Hey Anglico!
    My Judo coach was attached to the platoons chongryong (blue dragons) brigade. He said he hauled around a radio, called in air support etc. I was at a tournament and he kept shouting "CHONGRYONG!" and threw me off (I am Korean and my pops was an ROK army officer, when he found that out on came the vietnam war stories)
    His name is Gerald Lafon; but he served from 70 - to the last korean units pulling out.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/11/2009 12:43am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kkolabaga is prohibited? Not in my family! hahaha
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast