Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 1:00pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wounded Ronin,

I knew an old guy in OKC, that was a Korean War vet that had a small jar full of gold teeth from dead North Korean and Chinese soldiers.

My godfather had a stack of cloth Chinese stars he took off dead chicom hats. Later, he was a Green beanie with the montagnards in Vietnam. He told me a story once about how they put a few VC heads on spikes, and the bad guys supposedly left the area alone for a while. You can rest assured that that sort of behavior would not be tolerated in today's media-saturated environment.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 1:12pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, though, it's not that it wouldn't be tolereated because we're all weenies. The reason it wouldn't be tolerated would be because in this day and age it would be providing the enemies of the US with ammunition and propaganda in the global information war.

Interesting stories, though. I appreciate you sharing them.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 3:53pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you really don't want to be known for putting heads on pikes when you know they'll be putting that **** on YouTube that evening.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only that but if your known for doing horrible things to the people you capture it is going to cause the people your fighting to fight that much harder.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 9:39pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    There is a reason why we feed prisoners, give them medical care and treat them respectfully.
    Yeah, 'cuz we're big, hurkin vaginas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 9:57pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misoldier
    I will give you a little history on them. During the Vietnam War ROK Marines were much more feared by the Viet Cong than US Marines and Soldiers. When ROKMC would capture enemy VC they would castrate and decapitate them and then place the heads on sticks outside their camps. Captured female VC had lit flairs shoved up their privates.
    Sound more like total douchebags whose actions would motivate more people to join the VC against a barbaric foe (not that the VC were nice to their prisoners by any means). Putting heads on sticks is a nice touch though.

Quote Originally Posted by ToUnderstand
    is there alot of hostility to U.S. military personel over there?
    From what I have heard from my korean friends, some 'incidents' like DUI, making noise, and some cases of rape have soured opinions. Military presence in Korea is slowly being scaled back anyhow, as all they serve as is cannon fodder/a failsafe way to enter America into war (They killed US troops!) should N. Korea ever invade. Not to mention that Korea has a strong army at this point.
    Last edited by nightowl; 5/07/2008 10:06pm at .

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl

From what I have heard from my korean friends, some 'incidents' like DUI, making noise, and some cases of rape have soured opinions.
    Except for a few rare incidences open hostility is pretty rare. I saw a few protests, but never one that became hostile. Usually as long as you're polite and friendly you won't have any problems.

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 11:38pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    Except for a few rare incidences open hostility is pretty rare. I saw a few protests, but never one that became hostile. Usually as long as you're polite and friendly you won't have any problems.
    For sure- many have not met an actual American- there are plenty of good guys out there. However even if just 2% of the people there are troublemakers, it creates problems...drunk marines in Okinawa make some areas after dark a bit rough, and I'm sure in korea certain forienger centric areas get seedy and probably not all that safe if you are a female and alone. Anytime you get a bunch of guys together in one spot like that you are going to have problems.

As long as you can be a nice guy though, you can be a good ambassador and give people a balanced veiw. It's a shame that the lowlifes are the ones that make the news.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 1:19am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a research paper on ROK military presense in Vietnam. My resources included declassified though unreleased dept. of defense papers of R.o. Korea /US as well as current library resources. Let me post my findings here.. but right now I have steak grilling that I have to tend to!

Yours truly

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 1:28am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misoldier
    ROKMC were also much more proficient killers than their US counterparts. One squad of 13 ROKMC killed over 400 VC during one conflict. In fact many of those 400 VC were killed during hand to hand combat when the ROKMC squad had run out of ammunition.
    This report was a bit exaggurated. I forgot what the exact numbers were, but it was still pretty crazy. IIRC it was more like a partial platoon versus part of a regiment. But IIRC the hand to hand combat part was verified.

If you can read Korean, then you should go check out some veteran's websites. It is very interesting; a much much different view of how the troops (both ROKAR and ROKMC) dealt with the war.

I wanted to do a compilation of ROK veteran interviews and publish a book before too many of them died, but my educational plans changed...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast