224672 Bullies, 3578 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 31
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. War Wizard is offline
    War Wizard's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,152

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 4:31pm


     Style: Judo - Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to MEPS I go!

    I'm enlisting in the Navy.

    First, some background: I have a college degree and I wanted to join the Navy on a SEAL Challenge contract. Unfortunately they just changed the eyesight regs so that is for now a no go for me. I'm having to join, get the Navy to surgerize me and then put in a packet for BUD/S later. I'm thinking of enlisting as an IT because: A.) I already have experience doing IT work, B.) If I'm **** hot in A school I might be able to luck out and get assigned to a SEAL Team as a support guy, and C.) I won't hate my life while working until I can snag a BUD/S slot (choose your rate, choose your fate).

    Now, I'm heading down to MEPS on Sunday & Monday May 17 & 18. Any advice beyond the usual dress comfortably and be prepared for a lot of hurry-up-and-waiting? Any advice for dealing with a counselor or picking a rating, etc, etc.?
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
  2. Cassius is offline
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,985

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 7:39pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's probably the better way of doing things. My only advice is this: Do not let them pressure you into taking something you do not want. If they will not give you the rate you want, leave. They can act as mad as they like, but they still have to take you if you come back. Do not accept verbal promises for ****. Get it written into your contract, if you actually sign one. Until you sign that dotted line, they work for you, not the other way around.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  3. War Wizard is offline
    War Wizard's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,152

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 7:55pm


     Style: Judo - Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    That's probably the better way of doing things. My only advice is this: Do not let them pressure you into taking something you do not want. If they will not give you the rate you want, leave. They can act as mad as they like, but they still have to take you if you come back. Do not accept verbal promises for ****. Get it written into your contract, if you actually sign one. Until you sign that dotted line, they work for you, not the other way around.
    Roger. If it ain't on paper, it never happened, right?
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
  4. hapkido_keith is offline
    hapkido_keith's Avatar

    Crappler Extraordinaire

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,307

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 7:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a college degree, why are you not seeking a commission?
  5. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 8:02pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Roger. If it ain't on paper, it never happened, right?
    RIGHT!!! Get it all on paper. And Cassius is 100% correct. Look at it this way, you are loaning the govt your services so don't sign a contract you aren't pleased with.

    Good luck and hopefully I'll see you at Bragg.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  6. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 8:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    If you have a college degree, why are you not seeking a commission?
    I had a degree going in and didn't get commissioned until later. I'm glad I went the enlisted route first because I got some great experience that has really helped me as an officer. Plus you get to do more cool **** as an enlisted. As an officer you basically have two jobs, you are in command or you're someones bitch (ie Staff) or both (XO).
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  7. Carpe Noctem is offline
    Carpe Noctem's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Too close to Flint
    Posts
    898

    Posted On:
    5/12/2009 11:19pm


     Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could be a Warrant and not give two shits either way, AND still get to do work and cool ****.
    Last edited by Carpe Noctem; 5/12/2009 11:21pm at . Reason: accuracy
  8. Ka-Bar is offline
    Ka-Bar's Avatar

    is a Godd*mn Federale!

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,924

    Posted On:
    5/13/2009 12:09am

    supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I'm enlisting in the Navy.

    First, some background: I have a college degree and I wanted to join the Navy on a SEAL Challenge contract. Unfortunately they just changed the eyesight regs so that is for now a no go for me. I'm having to join, get the Navy to surgerize me and then put in a packet for BUD/S later. I'm thinking of enlisting as an IT because: A.) I already have experience doing IT work, B.) If I'm **** hot in A school I might be able to luck out and get assigned to a SEAL Team as a support guy, and C.) I won't hate my life while working until I can snag a BUD/S slot (choose your rate, choose your fate).

    Now, I'm heading down to MEPS on Sunday & Monday May 17 & 18. Any advice beyond the usual dress comfortably and be prepared for a lot of hurry-up-and-waiting? Any advice for dealing with a counselor or picking a rating, etc, etc.?
    Sounds like you've thought this through. Just make sure you're going to be happy a) in the Navy and b) in your rate even if you never, ever get a shot at BUD/S or you do get a shot and wash out. If the only reason you're joining is to be a SEAL, and you don't become one, you're gonna be one bitter ************ for four to six years. Think of it as enjoying the privilege of serving your country in one way, and if you get BUD/S, the privilege of trying out to serve it in another way.

    My time at MEPS was pretty smooth, but I had my MOS guaranteed already. Nevertheless, it was boring, cold and awkward.

    Listen to the others and if IT is what you really want, don't be pressured into anything else. Get a good night's sleep the night before and have a good breakfast.

    Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls
  9. War Wizard is offline
    War Wizard's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,152

    Posted On:
    5/13/2009 8:05am


     Style: Judo - Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    If you have a college degree, why are you not seeking a commission?
    There are an extremely limited number of officer slots for BUD/S (usually no more than 30-40 per year). The only real way to have a decent shot of even applying for one is to go to the Naval Academy, which automatically gets half the slots available each year. As for the others, most get divided up amongst the Navy ROTC units around the country with maybe 2 or 3 going to OCS (some years NONE go to OCS). Since I didn't go to Annapolis or a Navy ROTC school, this pretty much means enlist, go through SEAL training, do a couple of tours, and then apply for OCS from within. Also, near 50% of SEAL officers are former enlisted Sailors, and they tend to command a lot of respect for having spent time on the E side before going to OCS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar
    Sounds like you've thought this through. Just make sure you're going to be happy a) in the Navy and b) in your rate even if you never, ever get a shot at BUD/S or you do get a shot and wash out. If the only reason you're joining is to be a SEAL, and you don't become one, you're gonna be one bitter ************ for four to six years. Think of it as enjoying the privilege of serving your country in one way, and if you get BUD/S, the privilege of trying out to serve it in another way.
    I've wanted to be in the Navy since I was a kid and I went to see the various ships on display in North and South Carolina. I want to be a SEAL because it's that absolute toughest job in the Navy. If for some reason I never make it to BUD/S or I get injured and wash out, then dammit I'm going to be the best Sailor I can be.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
  10. omoplatypus is offline
    omoplatypus's Avatar

    Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,331

    Posted On:
    5/13/2009 9:33am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i was at MEPS, i overheard so many people getting pressured into different rates. it was pretty shitty IMHO. one guy had his heart set on radar tech for some reason or another and they were trying to pressure him into something else. he stood up and said, "**** it, i'm going to the army dudes down the hall." the petty officer fussed and fought, but the dude was dead set on doing radars.
    if you want to do IT and they give you ****, walk out and come in another day.
    --------

    Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.