Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 9:48am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UK dal 1.

Glad you carried it out all these pages.

Any sort of committment to training a Martial Arts implies that you want to attend, not just once, or for a year, but potentially for many years, even for life. So it has to have more tangible benifits then, ...When I get to the UFC..., or ...When I pick fights at a bar..., I can handle myself. And many parents might not direct their kids to those career paths.

The attrition rate in enrollment for MA courses is high. If you find a school that your kids and you like, then thats great.

There may be some bad habbits learned by your kids and you which would have to be fixed before competing, IF your kids ever decide thats what they want to do, but family training has advantages.

Most kids activities, soccar, baseball, are designed for the age group, or skill, so many times brothers and sisters, ect are not on the same team or even same sport. I have seen however whole families going for TKD together and this limits the running around time, scheduling conflicts, and the parents and kids can train together.

I see parents dropping their kids off for BJJ, then sitting around, but they would never join the adult competetive class. At the all ages TKD classes whole families can be there at the same time.

A family that Katas together, stays together.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 10:05am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    There may be some bad habbits learned by your kids and you which would have to be fixed before competing, IF your kids ever decide thats what they want to do, but family training has advantages.
    This is highly dependent on what they decide to compete in, if they do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 11:01am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdal1
    One word ..................."headbutt" to the nose:BangHead: or I could use my .357 mag:qright5: ............but seriously, I'll be ok. It's not everyday I go looking for a fight. Thanks for the concern......If I new that this question would have gone this far, I wouldn't have asked it!!!!
    Didn't I say he threw me into the wall and went in close? No room to headbutt, plus he was like 15-20 centimetres taller. I could've bitten the guy I suppose, but what the heck. I just wanted to tell you that MA doesn't make one a demigod. Oh and TKD doesn't teach headbutts, so even if I headbutted, MA wouldn't have helped me :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 11:33am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My .02c on this is if your kids and yourself enjoy taking TKD classes, by all means stay in it and have fun. If you have good instructors, your kids will benefit from the training and gain good work habits. For yourself, it should do the same thing and just you being there will keep your kids in TKD.
    Now having said that, my son was in TKD for a little over a year and had a great instructor and gained I would say a lot of experience. His 1st competetion he won 2 gold medals, one for forms and the other for sparring. They had a small school compared to the others, but always get either 2nd or 3rd place when they compete. So enjoy yourselves and learn all that you can from TKD. To me, its a good place to start your kids to learn MAs at their level, and as they get older they can cross train into other MAs of their choice. My son finally left TKD and he's where I am at now and wants to learn MT and BJJ when he gets older. I will always appreciate what his TKD instructor has done for him

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:43pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    This is highly dependent on what they decide to compete in, if they do.
    Of course I was referencing the Olympics and even the lower level tournament TKD circuits.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456