Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 2:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Yay! Someone gets it. TKD for sport is fine. TKD for "protecting people" is generally taught very poorly. WTF is the olympic sport. ATA is a complete waste of time.
    So ATA doesnt' teach a sport? Then what is it? Is it just playtime for grownups to learn how to block and punch and kick? Heck no. How many people outside of martial arts do you know that can kick someone in the face during a fight? I'll put it this way, when I get to the point where I have a couple of belts, I GUARANTEE you that I will have an advantage against some random guy on the street trying to steal my wallet. Like I said before, I don't want to fight in MMA or anything, I just want to learn some Taekwondo. Anyways before we get too far in the "my daddy can beat up your daddy" argument, I'd like to throw something out there to my instructor's defense. Before I signed up after my first trial class he told me that if I wanted to learn self-defense, take the Krav Maga class. But if I wanted to learn the sport, take Taekwondo. Hope that helps......but it probably won't:rolleyes:

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been a lively discussion. My two cents (and that may be all that it's worth) is that if you go into TKD with the attitude to get into shape and to spend more time with your kids, you've probably found the right place. I believe the OP wanted advice as to how to excel and the initial posts discussed this: practice, work on your cardio, work on your stretching. That seems like sound advice to me. And since TKD emphasizes kicks: grab a wall, pivot, chamber, kick out, hold out, rechamber, lower leg and repeat.

Good luck to you Ukdal1 -- from one newbie to another!

-- Tony

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 5:06pm

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdal1
    How many people outside of martial arts do you know that can kick someone in the face during a fight?
    Quite a few actually, gymnasts and dancers :tongue5: The problem is they won't kick anyone in the face.

I'll put it this way, when I get to the point where I have a couple of belts, I GUARANTEE you that I will have an advantage against some random guy on the street trying to steal my wallet.
    I thought so too once, then a guy grabbed me by the shirt while I wasn't looking and threw me into a wall, and then grabbed hold of my arms and went in so close I couldn't kick ( or use any of the crappling techniques I was taught at TKD).

But seriously tho, if you believe this guy is good, train with him, go for it. Have fun with your kids and train hard

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    I thought so too once, then a guy grabbed me by the shirt while I wasn't looking and threw me into a wall, and then grabbed hold of my arms and went in so close I couldn't kick ( or use any of the crappling techniques I was taught at TKD).
    One word ..................."headbutt" to the nose:BangHead: or I could use my .357 mag:qright5: ............but seriously, I'll be ok. It's not everyday I go looking for a fight. Thanks for the concern......If I new that this question would have gone this far, I wouldn't have asked it!!!!
    Last edited by ukdal1; 5/11/2008 7:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 9:33pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So ATA doesnt' teach a sport? Then what is it? Is it just playtime for grownups to learn how to block and punch and kick? Heck no. How many people outside of martial arts do you know that can kick someone in the face during a fight? I'll put it this way, when I get to the point where I have a couple of belts, I GUARANTEE you that I will have an advantage against some random guy on the street trying to steal my wallet. Like I said before, I don't want to fight in MMA or anything, I just want to learn some Taekwondo. Anyways before we get too far in the "my daddy can beat up your daddy" argument, I'd like to throw something out there to my instructor's defense. Before I signed up after my first trial class he told me that if I wanted to learn self-defense, take the Krav Maga class. But if I wanted to learn the sport, take Taekwondo. Hope that helps......but it probably won't:rolleyes:
    I really suggest you lurk more and poast less here.

MANY ATA schools ARE run as playtime for grownups. How well do you think you could kick someone in the face? What are the advantages you think you have vs a mugger? I understand not wanting to go into MMA, but how do you think that TKD is going to help you accomplish any of the goals you originally stated, especially ATA TKD, which is so often godawful terrible that it makes Aikido look like a viable martial art?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 10:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really suggest you lurk more and poast less here.
    I suggest if you're not going to answer my ORIGINAL question then YOU should lurk more and and post less here . If I wanted to have someone tell me how sucky the MA I was learning was I would have posted in one of the other style forums. Thanks.

How well do you think you could kick someone in the face?
    Not right now, but ask me again in a couple months.........

What are the advantages you think you have vs a mugger?
    The fact that I pack a pistol (and know how to use it) with me gives me a little advantage over the average person....

........... but how do you think that TKD is going to help you accomplish any of the goals you originally stated?.............
    This was my original post:

I am really wanting to get into it to get in shape and to get involved more with my kids because they are involved in it too. I also want to learn just to learn! So any tips would help!!!! Thanks!
    Is that ANY more self explanatory?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 4:28am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I want to do is try to be very good at TKD, to get to the point where I can spar with others confidently, defend myself, and (maybe eventually) cross over into another type of MA

to protect myself
    I understand that I act like quite a dick to posters who are all "my ata rox", and I am comfortable with that. I did indeed misread your first post, and instead picked up these points in your previous posts. I think you can have a GREAT time with your kid at the ATA, and I'm sure that you may even take something good away from it.

I'm also, from personal experience, anecdotes, and what I now know about martial arts, convinced that a lot of bad habits are very easily formed from TKD. This, along with a heavy dose of ego stroking on the part of what you can accomplish (breaking boards, kicking high, jump spin kicks, etc), has led me to think very poorly of TKD.

Again, I think you'll have a great time with your kids, but I think that the reasons stated above are the kind you make and then someone opens your eyes and you realize that TKD was not the place to do that. You're better off (you pistol packing nut-case you :)) shaving precious seconds off of your 100m dash since running is always the best choice in self-defense.

Kicking to the head is useless if you can't effectively kick the legs by the way. Just so you know....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 5:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand that I act like quite a dick to posters who are all "my ata rox", and I am comfortable with that. I did indeed misread your first post, and instead picked up these points in your previous posts. I think you can have a GREAT time with your kid at the ATA, and I'm sure that you may even take something good away from it.

I'm also, from personal experience, anecdotes, and what I now know about martial arts, convinced that a lot of bad habits are very easily formed from TKD. This, along with a heavy dose of ego stroking on the part of what you can accomplish (breaking boards, kicking high, jump spin kicks, etc), has led me to think very poorly of TKD.

Again, I think you'll have a great time with your kids, but I think that the reasons stated above are the kind you make and then someone opens your eyes and you realize that TKD was not the place to do that. You're better off (you pistol packing nut-case you :)) shaving precious seconds off of your 100m dash since running is always the best choice in self-defense.

Kicking to the head is useless if you can't effectively kick the legs by the way. Just so you know....
    WOW! You are a real person! I won't tell anybody though:biggrin:......... Just kidding man! Listen, if there's one thing I've learned in my life it's that I'm not superman, nor will I ever be. If I can break a board with my foot or if I can actually get my leg high enough one day to kick someone in the face that would be pretty neat, and that's ALL it will be: neat. I DO realize that most of the stuff they teach isn't practical for self-defense. But like I said earlier, that's not the only reason I want to take it. It's more of a goal I set for myself because I think I will really enjoy it and it will get me in shape. And about the 100m dash thing, I always said I can run faster scared than you can mad!:icon_mrgr

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 5:45am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 2 cents:

I spent years trying to be able to kick to the head. It was only when I finally got there (not very supple) that I realised I would rather kick to the legs anyway.

By all means have fun with your kid, that sounds like some good bonding time, just do a little research into how TKD fares in fights.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 8:24am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another great thing you can do for TKD and any martial art for that is jump rope. doing this will make you lighter on your feet and faster at point sparring.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast