Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 12:24pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the double post, but upon looking on the ATA website, I see that there are a total of three schools for two of the ATA instructors, and one for the other. This is called a franchise, and what it means is that the chances that you will see the "6th degree black belt" is very limited, as he or she will be caught in between two schools for teaching.

If you belong to the other school, I'm willing to bet that you're school sucks anyway because of the massive quality of failure that the ATA regularly delivers to its students.

Any questions?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 3:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are partial profiles of 2 of the instructors at our club:
    Mr. Kevin M began his martial arts training at age 8, and has been training in the martial arts ever since. He has been a certified Krav Maga instructor for over six years and has taught hundreds of men, women and children over the years. Mr. M is blue belt in Gracie Jui-jitsu under one of the most famous martial artist of all time, Royce Gracie. He is also a fourth degree black belt in Taekwondo and has earned the title of state champion three times and placed top ten in the world five times throughout his Taekwondo career. Mr. M began training in Krav Maga over six years ago, and has trained all over the country with Krav Maga experts including Sam Sade, John Whitman, Michael Margolin, and Darren Levine. Mr. M is also a certified Protech self-defense and weapons instructor. With his years of experience, students can rest assured that they will receive the best instruction in the area. Mr. M is currently working on curriculum development, advanced instruction, and program expansion.

Master Eric M began his training at 6 years old, and has been training in the martial arts ever since. He is a sixth degree master in Taekwondo, a blue belt in Gracie jui-jitsu, a protech self-defense and weapons instructor, and a certified Krav Maga Instructor.

The thing is guys, I don't want to be the supreme a$$whoopin master of all time. I just want to learn a martial art and be decent at it to have fun with my kids, to protect myself, and get in shape. If I decide to move on from this MA to another then so be it. But all I want to do is excel at what I'm doing now. Believe me, I DO NOT want to sound rude. Alot of the posters have been great but (I knew it would happen) people want to try and tell me how crappy ATA is. All I know is that the instructors seem to know what they're talking about and they treat my kids good and they have fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdal1
    All I know is that the instructors seem to know what they're talking about and they treat my kids good and they have fun.
    Against what do you judge that they know what they're talking about? You have any previous experience to judge from, or just making a layman's estimate here? We're telling you the ATA is ****. You're responding that no they're not. I am more experienced than you.

After looking at the website http://www.getyourblackbelt.com/ where Mr. Moberly discusses his credentials. I WOULD REALLY SUGGEST YOU DON'T GO THERE.

First of all, the ATA is not known for producing decent fighters. At all. This man has spent 28 years there. I'd love to see him roll with any of the real Blue Belts here. The blue belt he has is probably from the 72 hour instructional courses. It takes more than 72 hours to become a decent ground fighter. This is the I haz a basics belt but probably can't fight for **** but I paid a lot for it so now I'm going to teach people the basics too.

Lastly, I asked you how in shape the red belts are. They've been there for a while, they should be in good shape. If any of them are fat, rediculously skinny without any muscle, afraid of getting hit, etc, then THIS ISN'T GOING TO TEACH YOU ANY DECENT SELF DEFENSE OR FOR THAT MATTER HOW TO APPROPRIATELY DEFEND SOMEONE ELSE.

I wasted 6 years at the ITA and I'll be damned if I let you away thinking your getting something out of it. You won't. Unless what you wanted was to waste money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 7:11pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Cyril, you're experienced in your school which was ITA, not ATA.

This isn't Ymas, the man put up good information and his instructors seem legitimate as TKD goes.

I've said it before, any school is as good as its' instructors. Period. These seem to be well trained.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 7:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Against what do you judge that they know what they're talking about? You have any previous experience to judge from, or just making a layman's estimate here? We're telling you the ATA is ****. You're responding that no they're not. I am more experienced than you.

I WOULD REALLY SUGGEST YOU DON'T GO THERE.

I wasted 6 years at the ITA and I'll be damned if I let you away thinking your getting something out of it. You won't. Unless what you wanted was to waste money.
    Cyril, I really appreciate your concern. Seriously. And I DEFINITELY know you have more experience than me, but we have signed the kids up for 6 months of classes which they enjoy and look forward to every Tuesday and Thursday, and I can go for free because we have the family plan, so why not? I have looked around at some of the other MA clubs in town (Lexington, ky) and I dont know sh!t from apple butter when it comes to MA and I'm not saying that ATA doesn't suck. All I know is what I read here and other places online. I dont plan on staying there forever. I had my first class with my kids (that I don't get to spend alot of time with anyway) and I really enjoyed it and I know more now than before I started. By the way, do you have any suggestions where I SHOULD go? The only other place in town my wife went to as a teenager and she said the guy that runs the place is a supreme a$$hole. I've thought about doing BJJ after this is over but again, where do I go????? It does help that you guys do know the things you do from experience and ANY advice will be helpful. Thanks for the concern guys.
    Last edited by ukdal1; 5/08/2008 8:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 10:55pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't worry about it, it looks like you're at a good school.

This forum can be VERY anti-Taekwondo, and even more anti-ATA, mainly because there are a lot of under-qualified people who run out and start schools, teaching before they know what they are doing, then they teach crappy and it proliferates itself. Then there is the whole kiddie krotty thing etc.

I've done ATA Taekwondo for over 20 years, there ARE good schools out there, and I think you've found one. Have a great time there, learn and enjoy it. I'm not saying it should be the end of your journey in martial arts, I've done a handful of others myself and continue to do so, but it's not a bad place to start. Currently I'm doing MMA and absolutely loving it, in the past I've done Kung Fu, some Wing Chicken, Tai Chi, a load of Escrima etc.

I wouldn't let the negativity of this or any other site deter you from that. Get in, try it, have a great time and decide where to go from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2008 9:32am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definetly spend more than six months training. It takes time to get good. As far as red belt being in shape it doesnt mean anything almost every place wil have people with belt with out desrving them. And then again some schools have older people join and you cant expect them to be able to do things a young kid would be able to do. Remember its how much work you put in will show how much you get out of martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/09/2008 1:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by svt2026
    Definetly spend more than six months training. It takes time to get good. As far as red belt being in shape it doesnt mean anything almost every place wil have people with belt with out desrving them. And then again some schools have older people join and you cant expect them to be able to do things a young kid would be able to do. Remember its how much work you put in will show how much you get out of martial arts.
    I believe that MOST arts don't have undeserving belts handed out. The reason I suggest looking at the red belts is the red belts are about to become black. Or at the very least, they have been there for a while. Handing that black belt to them, makes them no better than they were when they were working during the testing. A black belt may level sit for a long time, or more often (in the case of TKD) drop out of the program.

In the case of the OP, Four Season's Martial arts and for your kids there's http://local.sentinel-echo.com/Lexin...0980.home.html.

It does look like a good school to me. It looks like another "you're a delicate snowflake, let's build your character" school. Those are good. But for martial arts, I would steer far away from it.

Gymnastics is great for kids. They're learn to safely tumble, gain composure over their bodies, and won't build many bad habits for any future martial arts like they would if they took it as a kid. They'll become healthier almost overnight, and have a blast doing it.

Performance edge martial arts for the OP
    http://www.truthincombat.com/
    mma4s@yahoo.com is the email for Four Seasons.

Look at these two places and compare them to your TKD. If it doesn't look as like fighting as what they're doing, then your school is probably doing it wrong. These guys should let you watch a class or two to get a feel. Performance edge has good photos up on their myspace.

I see no photos on Eric Moberly's page. Nor do I see anything stating he's a decent fighter other than the ATA's rankings. And though Performance Edge has no qualifications listed, you can at least contact the people individually and ask them if you want.

I suggest you visit these schools before your six months are up. They may have you drinking cool aid by then :)

In all reality, I have a passion of hate for ITA which is very similar to ATA. I hope you can take everything I say with a grain of salt. If you kids enjoy it, more power to them, but YOU as the decision maker for where they go, need to train responsibly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 11:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody just needs to lighten up -- and why the f--k is the TXD forum just a big TKD-bashing ground? whether its ATA, ITF, WTF or just TKD in general, its a pretty serious drag to log in to the TKD and KMA style forum only to hear about how lame/ useless/ stupid your chosen art is.

Re: training -- the best thing that you can do to feel really solid in your TKD is to treat it as a sport, and what that means: cross-training, and specifically: f---in' road-WORK. it doesn't have to be a lot. but it does have to be there. Different bodies are going to absorb training differently, but if you can build up your conditioning, you'll be able to absorb a lot more. try a couple of 45 min. runs a week, with a long run on once a week. you'll rev up your cardio capacity and you'll be able to whoop-up on your TKD compatriots because when they're heaving in their hogus you'll still be present. There is no bigger difference than having trained -- you've already got the attitude for learning, just stay focused on what you like and getting good. The conditioning will also allow you to be a fit specimen for if/when you want to hange over to another MA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2008 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by East or West?
    Everybody just needs to lighten up -- and why the f--k is the TXD forum just a big TKD-bashing ground? whether its ATA, ITF, WTF or just TKD in general, its a pretty serious drag to log in to the TKD and KMA style forum only to hear about how lame/ useless/ stupid your chosen art is.

Re: training -- the best thing that you can do to feel really solid in your TKD is to treat it as a sport, and what that means: cross-training, and specifically: f---in' road-WORK. it doesn't have to be a lot. but it does have to be there. Different bodies are going to absorb training differently, but if you can build up your conditioning, you'll be able to absorb a lot more. try a couple of 45 min. runs a week, with a long run on once a week. you'll rev up your cardio capacity and you'll be able to whoop-up on your TKD compatriots because when they're heaving in their hogus you'll still be present. There is no bigger difference than having trained -- you've already got the attitude for learning, just stay focused on what you like and getting good. The conditioning will also allow you to be a fit specimen for if/when you want to hange over to another MA
    Yay! Someone gets it. TKD for sport is fine. TKD for "protecting people" is generally taught very poorly. WTF is the olympic sport. ATA is a complete waste of time.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast