Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 5:52pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    always bow to your sensei before starting a sentence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 6:05pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's Sabumnim Dak, he's serious and this is in the KMA section, not YMAS.

To the OP, just attend as frequently as you can (body limits, fitness, family well-being considered etc). Stretch before and after classes, and have a great time. If you're looking to take other arts later on, remember to keep an open mind and that there are many ways to get from point A to point B, not just one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    ukdal1, what flavor of TKD do you practice?
    Nothing, until as of tomorrow............. but then I start at an ATA (I know, I know!!! ATA sucks!) but I did listen to how alot of people were talking about the bad stuff they do and this place from what I can tell is pretty well run. All the telltale sign of a "Mcdojo" aren't there. My kids have been there for a couple months and I have been trying to keep my eyes open for any BS. Anyway.....the style is Songahm Taekwondo. I hope this doesn't start a rant about ATA.:5sigh:

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 7:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done ITF, WTF and ATA TKD at various times in my life and my advice is to go work out with another school and see what you think. Seriously, you have zero frame of reference to see what is a McDojang and what is a real martial art school/club. Maybe your ATA school is decent (doubtful), but unless you go see and train elsewhere, you don't know much.

I will pose the question to the OP. Do you really want to "excell" in an ATA curriculum or a more traditional and realistic TKD style?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 7:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DGO
    Seriously, you have zero frame of reference to see what is a McDojang and what is a real martial art school/club. Maybe your ATA school is decent (doubtful), but unless you go see and train elsewhere, you don't know much.
    Not to be a smarta$$ but what do they do in a real martial arts school/club? Do they show you forms and how to fight? Do they follow the guidelines of their association? If so, then that's what they do at ours. Again I dont mean to sound rude, I just really want to learn alot from this. Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really boils down to the school and instructor, if they're good, they're good. It's something that is really difficult for someone starting out to notice, unless there are glaring obvious parts of course. With just about any TKD now you'll have kid black belts and that part (most karate too for that matter), so that isn't a good litmus test anymore.

I think a decent thing to look at is how long the instructor has been training, what styles, how long the school has been open etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 9:45am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I can say practice as much as you can. Try not to sign a long term contract for your kids and yourself just in case the guy decides to take your money and run cause you will just loose more money that way. Good sign for a TKD school is if they let you pay as you go or break down 3 month, 6 month course fees. If your paying for yourself a couple kids it adds up quick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 10:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, part of the 'how long the school has been there' and the instructor been there was to help with 'will the place still be here' part.

If you DO sign a contract, and you most likely will with an ATA school, read it thoroughly and look at what escape clauses are in it. Most people don't have to use them, but it is good to know what options you have (if any) should your child/family decide they no longer share the same desire to do TKD that you do.

Contracts aren't all bad, they also ensure that you are protected as well, just make sure the one you sign covers your assets as well as theirs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 10:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way ours worked is that we signed up for 6 months for my son. Then my 2 other boys really liked it when they would go and watch so we added them and got a family package. With that, we ALL (the whole family) get to go to as many classes that we want (up to 6 times a week for me and the kids). The instructor is a 6th degree BB and is a Master Instructor. He is on the National Instruction Staff for ATA. He has had an ATA club here since 1986. The other instructor in the club is a 2 time state champ. Just a little info.......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 11:55am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    State champ with ATA means nothing. Furthermore, 6th degree black belt means that he's probably been handing out black-belts like candy in order to reach that rank (In ATA you have to promote a certain number of students to Black-belt in order to move up in ranks past 5th degree). What (outside of the ATA) accomplishments of HIS martialism has he obtained (fight record, medals, belts)?

Most importantly, you should find out what he's done outside of ATA. ATA is a circle jerk union. How out of shape are the red belts?

YOUR RED BELTS SHOULD BE IN SHAPE. IF THEY'RE NOT, THERE WILL BE NO GREAT CHANGE AT BLACK BELT SUDDENLY.

Since red comes right before black (as I recall) they should have been training for at least 4 years or so. Do they look like badasses? And I mean physically look like they've spent four straight years learning how to kick ass.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast