Twas a Foot Lock, Phart Head

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 12:04pm

Style: BJJ/Submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    1. Coleman is also a wrestler, like Couture, Hughes, Sherk, *gasp* GSP (pray his nuts for they give enternal shelter, amen), and many, many others past and present. If wrestlers aren't the backbone in MMA and BJJ today, they are very close to be.

2. Lesnar's wrestling pedigree is waaay up better than the fighters mentioned in #1.

3. Wrestling is essential to MMA.

4. Lesnar is a world's class combat sports athlete.

4. Lesnar's undoing vs Mir was his lack of MMA experience. He's currently getting legit MMA training, so it is retarded to discard him as "just a wrestler".

5. This thread is gay, so says the bucket midget:
    Why do you say that Lesnar is a world class combat sports athlete? Even though I believe that he has the potential to become world class in a combat sport, I don't think that his wrestling credential gives that status. For all we know, he has a glass jaw.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say that because Wrestling (be it greco or freestyle) is a combat sports, just like Judo, SAMBO or BJJ.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 12:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just differentiate between a combat sport as one where there is striking involved. Like the difference between SAMBO and combat SAMBO which incorporates striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 12:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HussainR
    Twas a Foot Lock, Phart Head
    You better check twice on that one before looking like a foolzoolio. Frank had Brock's heel in the crook of his elbow pulling straight back without twisting in any way. It is even listed as a knee bar on the fight finder.
    :knob:

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveyB
    I just differentiate between a combat sport as one where there is striking involved. Like the difference between SAMBO and combat SAMBO which incorporates striking.
    That definition is arbitrary, though I know what you are trying to explain. Couture in his book "Wrestling for Fighting", for example, he differentiates between wrestling and fighting (meaning MMA.) But striking (or lack thereof) is not the primary or defining criteria of combat sports.

This is the definition I use for combat sports (courtesy from wiki), which seems to be the universally accepted one:

A combat sport (also known as a combative sport) is a competitive contact sport where two combatants fight against each other using certain rules of engagement, typically with the aim of simulating parts of real hand to hand combat. Boxing, amateur wrestling, puroresu, mixed martial arts and fencing are examples of combat sports.

The techniques used can be categorized into three domains: striking, grappling, and weapon usage. Some rule-sets specialize in one area, while others allow overlap.

An example where such a definition is used for something clearly not involving striking is the following:

Gold Medal Mental Workout for Combat Sports: A Step-by-Step Program of Mental Exercises to Make you a Winner Every Time (book, 4 cds, and trainer log)

or Page's "Martial Arts, Boxing, and Other Combat Sports (The Olympic Sports) (Paperback)"

Also from Combat Sports in the Ancient World: Competition, Violence, and Culture (Sports and History Series) by Poliakoff

Amazon.com: Combat Sports in the Ancient World: Competition, Violence, and Culture (Sports and History Series): Michael B. Poliakoff: Books

Boxing, wrestling, and pankration, a sport that allowed a variety of unarmed fighting tactics, were the three important forms of combat sport in the ancient world. Although a minor sport elsewhere in antiquity, stick fighting became a formal competition in Egypt, and it properly falls within the scope of this book. The element of fighting makes combat sports easy to mark off as a group; more difficult is settling on a definition of sport in general. I define sport and athletics in this book as activity in which a person physically competes against another in a contest with established regulations and procedures, with the immediate object of succeeding in that contest under criteria for determining victory that are different from those that mark success in everyday life (warfare, of course ,being included as part of everyday life in antiquity). In other words, sport, as opposed to play or recreation, cannot exist without an opponent and a system for measuring the success or failure of the competitors' performances. Jogging alone or in a grup is recreation (or training) until someone starts to compare performances, at which point, it becomes an athletic contest - a sport. Whether or not the competitor receives money or some other prize is irrelevant, for both professional and amateur have the immediate goal of winning the contest, and what happens afterward does not change the nature of that contest .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    1. Coleman is also a wrestler, like Couture, Hughes, Sherk, *gasp* GSP (pray his nuts for they give enternal shelter, amen), and many, many others past and present. If wrestlers aren't the backbone in MMA and BJJ today, they are very close to be.

2. Lesnar's wrestling pedigree is waaay up better than the fighters mentioned in #1.
    don't dismiss the wrestling skills of coleman so easily. he may be old and broken, but his background is nothing to sneeze at.

('._.)

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 2:26pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Macho you have no idea what you are talking about. Lesnarīs wrestling credentials not better than Colemanīs, Coleman was an NCAA champion that got 7th place in the 1992 olympics. Lesnar was a 4 time NCAA champion but never made it to the olympics.

Also, Lesnar had been training MMA for 2 years before the Mir fight.

That being said I think Lesnar will win this fight due to the fact that he is basically a younger version of Coleman. I dont think Coleman can match Lesnars explosive power at this point in their careers.
    Last edited by Draven; 5/05/2008 2:34pm at .

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 2:34pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven
    El Macho you have no idea what you are talking about. Lesnarīs wrestling credentials not better than Colemanīs, Coleman was an NCAA champion that got 7th place in the 1992 olympics. Lesnar was a 4 time NCAA champion but never made it to the olympics.

Also, Lesnar has been getting legit MMA training for more than 2 years now.
    Minus the skills and experiance.. making them nothing alike.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven

Also, Lesnar had been training MMA for 2 years before the Mir fight.

That being said I think Lesnar will win this fight due to the fact that he is basically a younger version of Coleman. I dont think Coleman can match Lesnars explosive power at this point in their careers.

**** explosive power, lesnar is huge. Easily the most muscled heavy-weight out there.

He is a fucking beast.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast