MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The "Key Between the Fingers" for self defense

I noticed on another thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69525) a substantial amount of discussion/criticism of the idea of placing a key between ones knucles and punching, as is sometimes advocated by self-defense instructors.
    Now, I am generally nice person who doens't get into fistfights on the Mean Streets of Ann Arbor a lot. Thus, I have never personally punched someone with my keys. However, I'm curious as to what the actual effects of it would be. In particular, whether they would end up being a more effective fight-ending technique than punching someone with a naked fist, and thus whether the promotion of punching someone with a key has any place being tought in self defense, or whether it's just a goofy idea that became popular in the SD community.
    My first part of this thread is a call for anyone who's ever actually used this method of attacking in a fight, had it used against them in a fight, or seen/heard of it being used in a fight. What were the results? What type of injury resulted from the key-punch? Did it seem effective towards the goal of ending the altercation?
    The second part is, if we don't have a substantial body of evidence on the effects of key punching, to help design an experiment to try and simulate it's effect. I'm thinking of those experiments they so dearly love on the History Channel which involve hitting a side of pork with a bronze javelin or somesuch to the extent of the wounding power of the weapon.
    I have some steak sitting in the refrigerator, and I'm tossing around the idea of hanging a piece of it up and punching it with a housekey a couple times to see if this method of attacking is capable of actually delivering serious wounds. The housekey would of course be freshly sanitized, and the steak would be eaten (by me) shortly after being experimented on.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I got in a fight and I had keys, I'd use them all right.

I'd start my car and run them over.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 4:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am intrigued by the premise of this thread. I am also curious to see the results that the side of beef experiment will yield. However, we must agree that slamming some keys into a stationary T-bone is going to be so different from trying to key-punch someone in a fight that we must question the relevance of the experiment.

But if you think about it, in an SD situation, to drop someone or to stop them from attacking, you need to hurt them badly enough to make them feel it, or KTFO them. I don't think keys are going to be doing this unless you get them square in the eye (and if you're trying to do this, you're entering the *poke them in the eye too deadly for the street* realm again).

Personally, if I have keys, and I have to fight, I'm saying **** the keys and punching a ************ in the chin.

Because, remember, in a fight, trust your fists, not some bullshit you read on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    *pushups* 21,22....43,44,45...60*pushups*
    Dude, why are you so fucking gay? Seriously? You wear tight leather pants and lip gloss, don't you? GTFO, man, GTFO.
    Last edited by The Question; 5/04/2008 4:42pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 5:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    ..//.. Personally, if I have keys, and I have to fight, I'm saying **** the keys and punching a ************ in the chin.
    Unfortunately, as much as it pains me to admit it, but I must agree with the keyboard banging monkey.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I first heard about the key-punching thing from an advertisement for a SD weapon that was supposed to be based on the same premise:

http://store.yahoo.com/urdefense/pushknife.html

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 5:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is advocated and apparently can be done. I scared off someone even weirder than me by readying them as described. He then went and complained.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 6:38pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it a great idea, but only if your keys are like this:

If you are using car keys, I understand the correct technique is to hold the key between your thumb and knuckle of forefinger. Either way, there seems to be a pretty good potential to hurt yourself.

The potential injuries you could inflict seem pretty small, unless you have the above types of keys.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would expect that even if it does work well enough to puncture your attacker's skin, it's likely also going to cut your own hand in the process, thus opening a vector for highly efficient disease transmission.

but that's cool, cause your attacker's clean, right?

right?

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 4:07am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess is that the key thing has been advocated because many women (who often can't punch very hard anyway) will instinctualy use a clawing motion when they fight. At least that is what I have seen from the few catfights I have witnessed. Having a pair of keys in one's hand might be seen as a good way to inflict more pain. Keep in mind that his is a guess and not an expert opinion.

Although I know from personal experience that one can cause a great deal more pain with a can of pepper spray.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 4:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they were meaning us to aim for the eye and puncture the aqueous humour, but I could be wrong.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast