Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Confused noob

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Confused noob

Hi all -

I'm probably a pretty average candidate for noob-ship at Bullshido. I'll break this up into experiences and why I'm here/what I'd like to get out of the community.

Why I'm here:

Frankly, I'm at a point where I'm interested in making the martial arts part of my life. Problem with that idea is that there's a ton of places teaching a bunch of different ****, all of it looks similar and 75 percent of the people I've run in to can't hold their own in sparring or prove that their **** works against someone actively working to foil them.

I'm the kind of guy that grew up being the smart-assed kid. Yeah I got beaten up for the first time when I was seven. Lesson learned there was to never let that happen again. So I promptly went out and gotten beaten up again and again :) Point is, I've picked up stuff along the way that works and now, being an adult, and acting like an adult.. the number of beatings has lessened :)

i've never subscribed to one fighting style and nothing I've done has brought me into a dojo for longer than a few classes; but by and large, I'm passionate about the learning process and the martial arts in general. I'm equally passionate about learning from the right people and keeping my skeptical methods in use as part of that learning process.

Bullshido seems to be the right place for my kind of people. I'm just hoping that the trolls here are the types that actually have put the work in and know what they're talking about and not the type that have the time to bitch cause they're not in the dojo. We'll see.

What I'd really like

I'd really like to get some advice on what combinations of artforms seem to be the best to follow for someone that has my needs:

1. It needs to be decent in avoidance, striking, grappling.
    2. It needs to be primarily defensive in nature. I'm only interested in offensive arts if they quickly deal with an attacker.
    3. Movement (ukemi) is really important.
    4. I do not want to deal with kicks in terms of offensive moveset. Seems counterproductive. I'm also recovering/recovered from a serious knee injury so while protecting the knee is possible, balance is an issue.

5. That said, balance training is huge.

Any information that could be passed on would be appreciated, I'll lurk for a while and see if the threads on the forum set offer any insight in the meantime.

Best,
    Campbell

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Campbell... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What schools have you looked into?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    What schools have you looked into?
    In order over the last 18 months:

1. Aikido - Why: Local and they have the best kids' program in the region (My son's there)

Why I think it may be relevant: Very defense minded and the local school seems very interested in elaborating into Judo.

Why I'm concerned: Seems that the movement is a weakness that could be exploited. This is a piece of a puzzle. Not a complete work.

2. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu - Why: Seems a very direct form with little wasted movement. Lineage back to Soke in my area is very convenient and experienced.

Why I'm concerned: Seems that the sparring done in the dojo is never full speed for the kyu ranks. It's obvious that dan ranks are going at each other but that doesn't help me in the beginning.

3. To Shin Do - Why: Relation to Bujinkan through Hayes. Seems less bullshit-oriented as the curriculum is extremely standard and well done from my perspective.

Why I'm concerned: I've never seen a To Shin Do stylist in a free sparring environment.

4. Boxing - Why: Stand up striking and movement off line.

5. Krav Maga - Why: Reputation

Concerned: Can't get full training in my area without being law enforcement.

I've also done a ton of academic research on arts in general and been maddened by the lack of good, useable information online. I'd also be interested in Jiu Jutsu on some level but there's a lack of good accessible gyms in my area considering my schedule.

Thanks,
    C

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of those options, not having a school to look at, not having a website to browse, and not being familiar with your schedule or the area, I can only give basic advice.

Boxing is, on average, more able to turn out fighters than any of the other choices you mentioned. Krav Maga has been known to be good, but it's a crap shoot when looking for a decent school. Aikido and Bujinkan have been known to be really bad arts that have little to no application in real fighting. The mindset of Aikido, while defensive, is overbalanced on the fact that most schools do not take their physical endevours much further than Ukemi into alive randori.

What type of Aikido? Give us websites, and a seasoned martial artist can tell from the pics if it's a generally okay martial gym.

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jiu-Jitsu (The brazillian kind) will almost always steer you in the right direction, by the way.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Cyril.

It's getting late where I'm at. I'll post again with links tomorrow to the Aikido dojo's website. Maybe someone around the forums can point me at a good BJJ place in the Massachusetts area.

C

PS. Wife loves the avatar

Style
    No-Gi BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.pedrosmartialarts.com/instructors.htm

http://www.massbjj.com/

These look good, but I'm not sure if either is anywhere close to you. The first should be about 30 miles away, so I don't know how bad that is for you, but over all, that's what I've found. Sorry it took so long for so few results!

Style
    Yoshukai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To OP: I went to MassBJJ (www.massbjj.com) for about 6 weeks while in MA for business. I would recommend them to anyone. They have BJJ, Boxing, and MT. I would guess that it is a little bit far for you, but it depends on how often you can train. Also, if it makes any difference, there is a train stop about 100 yards from the their gym.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last