Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 10:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Concerns about starting BJJ

So I have found waht seems to be a pretty legit BJJ school ran by someone who seems to have real credentials:
    ( http://www.bjjusa.com/about-julio.asp )

My concern/worry is about re-injuring my shoulder. I have a grade 2 AC joint separation that occured about 5 years ago, this accident also tore my rotator cuff and dislocated my shoulder. I have done physical therapy for twice, most recently for the past 3 weeks and my shoulder seems to be tightening up a bit but I want to know from your personal experiences:

How common are shoulder injuries and how often do people continue training after them? I figure there must be a way to learn to protect my weaker side but I really do not know enough about BJJ to be sure.

Also how prevalent is the attitude of "you must feel how bad a submission can hurt you to really understand it" or w/e variation on the "tough guy" approach to training. I see these two questions as somewhat related.

I can't really afford a 2nd injury to the same shoulder and while there is no MA that interests me more to start than bjj, I don't know how realistic i am being.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Kaoz; 5/02/2008 11:00am at . Reason: I left out that i dislocated my shoulder during the injury

Flyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 - What does your doctor say?
    2 - What does your coach say?
    3 - Tap early, tap often.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) My physical therapist thinks that anything that builds up my shoulder/back muscles without getting my shoulder ripped out of socket is a good idea, but she doesnt have specific knowledge of BJJ so she won't say 100% either way

2) I don't know which "coach" you speak of, i dont train at this school yet so Mr. Fernandez has not been consulted. my taekwondo instructor is of the mindset that any martial art i do other than taekwondo could injure me and stunt my tkd, so it's nto worth it. This clearly is coming from his own preference that i continue training at his school. (which i will regardless of starting BJJ but he doesnt really believe this)

3) probably a wise decision

I will be going into the BJJ school to watch class next week, so at that point I can ask the instructor his opinion.

My question is not so much trying to get medical clearance from you all, that is waht my Physical Therapist and Doctor are for. I want to know from experience how often do you all see people get wrenched by someone and dislocate their shoulder/separate their AC joint.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be very up front with every training partner that you have to baby a shoulder. And for the most part you will be fine.
    However, you will, guaranteed eventually get the shoulder tourqed more than you're comfortable with regardless of whether it re-aggravates the shoulder.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I've gotten my shoulders jacked before to where they've been sore for a day but that's about it. The only serious shoulder injuries I've seen have resulted from takedowns. (Average 2-3 days a week of bjj for the last 4 years, that's a lot of mat time)

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:50am

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Completely unqualified to give advice*

Go with what your physical therapist recommends and find a way to build the strength of your shoulder

Talk to your coach

Make sure any training partner kknows to take it easy on your shoulder

If it hurts, stop and dont train until its good again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 11:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best advice here is to know your limits and tap often and early as necessary. And like stated, let your training partners know. I strained my LCL in my knee and doctor said it was mild but if I hurt it again it could be much more serious. So i put a brace on it, went to class and let people know to try to avoid knee locks. And if i was put in a situation that i felt threatened my knee I tapped. Not worth being a toughman. Im there to learn, not show everyone how good I am. You keep that in mind and you should be just fine.

And more to your point, yes, there are moves that can damage your shoulder and it does happen to people that dont follow the above advice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Money is correct.

Shoulder injuries are very common. The problem is that they range from slight irritation/inflammation to the guy walking away with your arm as you cry on the floor. We had a guy come in, was there about three weeks (if that) and totally f-ed up his shoulder...months later he was still rying to rehab it. It wasn't even from a submission, he rolled back and tried to post out on his arm.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippon013
    I strained my LCL in my knee and doctor said it was mild but if I hurt it again it could be much more serious.
    Yeah i hadn't even thought about this... I have a partially torn LCL from being hit by a car about 5 months ago, my rehab for that has gone insanely well and i am better off now than i was before (also have a partially torn ACL from a very old injury) as long as my muscles are not completely fatigued. I am gonna have to remember to mention this as well.

Thanks for all the advice guys and keep it coming if you feel you have an experience to share that would be valuable to me.

Posted On:
    5/02/2008 12:53pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tap early tap often.

i had a grade 2 ac joint tear as well that i got from a kimura in a competition. don't compete if you're worried about it. but the thing is, now that it's healed and i've continued playing jiu jitsu, i feel it getting stronger. jiu jitsu is both the cause of and solution to my fucked up shoulder.

don't do any more than you feel that you can. and tell your partners! and don't roll with anyone below 6 month white.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast