Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter
    Nobody's said that a school is unilaterally bad just because it doesn't have a full contact fight team. I'm explaining to you why it doesn't deserve (e.g.) a striking rating above 5. You can always try to petition for "Lifestyle" and "Philosophy" categories in the rankings, if you like, though I suggest you start a new thread (in Trollshido, to save the mods the effort).

I will say it. A martial arts school that doesn't have a full contact fight team is unilaterally bad.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    I will say it. A martial arts school that doesn't have a full contact fight team is unilaterally bad.
    You're wrong. Not everyone who practices or participates in a "martial art" wants to be a full contact fighter. Thus, if I want to practice and study Iaido I will not go to a Mejiro affiliated gym and visa versa.

This does not mean that the Iaido school is bad, nor does it mean that the Muay Thai school is good.

Quote Originally Posted by talmage4
    as far as competition being a basis for judging goes, i belive i am a good example of my former instructor's ability and a great representative of his old school. (master cunningham passed away about 5 years ago). however, you would never know that by going to competitions, because i only compete with breaking and forms. i have a very strong moral objection to competing in sparring or full contact for titles and trophies. i was not the only one who felt that way in my dojang either.

so, how would you judge my former dojang, if 5 of the top 10 students don't fight in competition?
    The only categories where "competition" comes into the equation is for "striking instruction" and "grappling instruction".

This thread is in the Korean section and you referred to your school as a Dojang so I will assume you are talking about TKD.

In which case the striking instruction is probably from a 3-5, i.e., "Striking for punching/kicking only and/or limited purposes (demonstration, highly restrictive sport)."

However, there are certain TKD schools that have a greater focus on contact like some WTF and Olympic focused schools; there striking instruction may be a 6-7, i.e., "Comprehensive striking (all ranges) or superior single range striking with success in local/regional competition or practical application."

Your "aliveness" rating for the TKD school your at I would guess to be between a 1-5, i.e., No sparring/contact, performance demonstration/forms only;Compliant partner drills, board breaking, point sparring; or Light contact continuous sparring (negligible pain/risk).

Whether you have a "strong moral objection" to sparring is honestly irrelevant to the rating you give your school. The question is not what do YOU do but rather what does YOUR SCHOOL do.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    with my old dojang, we did have very practical applications and there was comprehensive striking. on more than one occasion, there were ribs accidentally broken. The top student in the school was an olympic hopeful (never made it all the way). most of the competitive students were in jr. high and high school, so they were limited to point sparring for competition. However, a small number of the older students were involved in full contact competitions on their own. There just weren't that many of them, and they did not represent the school. at least half of the best students in class refused to compete for trophies. we would compete in class and in meet ups with other students from other schools, but it was for learning and experience, not a contest for trophies and medals.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    You're wrong.
    Wrong.

Not everyone who practices or participates in a "martial art" wants to be a full contact fighter.
    And this is a great tragedy in the martial arts. If you don't want to be a fighter, what the hell are you doing taking a martial art?

Thus, if I want to practice and study Iaido I will not go to a Mejiro affiliated gym and visa versa.

This does not mean that the Iaido school is bad, nor does it mean that the Muay Thai school is good.
    Iaido is nonsense.

Someone should really have martial arts nerds like you only be in charge of all the martial arts nerd school review sections and someone who actually knows what they're talking about in charge of the combat school section.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't want to be a fighter, what the hell are you doing taking a martial art?

Iaido is nonsense.

Someone should really have martial arts nerds like you only be in charge of all the martial arts nerd school review sections and someone who actually knows what they're talking about in charge of the combat school section.
    STFU. You're in the KMA review section. Iaido and TKD are not MT and though the same standards of reality apply, not everyone needs to fight full contact in order to do MA. Otherwise, someone better do a major cleansing of all the non-full-contact fighters on BS.net. Including the beejers.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2008 9:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And this is a great tragedy in the martial arts. If you don't want to be a fighter, what the hell are you doing taking a martial art?
    You must be bored and simply wanted to come in to the Korean MA review section and troll because you can not honestly be this close-minded or idiotic. If this is really what you believe than your no better for our sport than this guy....

Iaido is nonsense.

Once again PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE TROLLING!!!!

Oh yeah, YOU ARE POSTING THIS **** IN THE KOREAN MA SECTION YOU FUCKING DOUCHBAG!!!!!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The RBSD -vs- Sport Fighting conversation was moved to here....

The age old deebate of RBSD -vs- Sport Fighting - No BS Martial Arts

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 1:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE TROLLING!!!!

Oh yeah, YOU ARE POSTING THIS **** IN THE KOREAN MA SECTION YOU FUCKING DOUCHBAG!!!!!
    Thank you . . . . . he needed that okay I needed that

Here are some possible answers

1) Physical Exercise

2) Older than dirt - but still like to practice the art

3) Increase the connection between mind and body - some bodies do come with brains.

4) My damn feet are to big to be a dancer but are just right for performance kicks

5) To make little morons ask stupid questions

6) Personal preference - diversity is the dessert of life ya know.

7) NYFB - none your fucking business

Geez some people just don't get it.

My question umm oh yea

Would I be to much of a whine bag if I made the suggestion that reviews at least include the state ,country, longitude/ latitude in the title As some one from Texas I am glad to hear they have what I am looking for in New York but it really doesn't help me to find a school in my area. At least if people put their state or their country in the title I won't be reading through crap reviewed in Germany -

If this is out of the question then so be it. I figured it wouldn 't hurt to make the suggestion I just thought having the general location of the school being reviewed might make it easier for those of us here looking for schools . . .

PS Yes I am lazy that and I have a limited life expectancy. !
    Last edited by Point_Blank; 11/29/2008 2:17am at . Reason: forgot question

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "6-7: Comprehensive grappling with success in local/regional competition or practical application (LEO, military)."

don't Law Enforcement Officers go out of their way to avoid grappling in any capacity, and certainly ne Waza type situations? Why would this be the yardstick for this category?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 12:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because they actively work on these specific situations.

Also, do you understand the website?
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/25/2009 12:28pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast