Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 2:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Long distance + deep half guard [VIDS]

A friend of mine asked me to film a certain type of half guard I've been working on. I ended up with 30 minutes of footage. I've broken it down into 6 videos on different aspects like basic grips and sweeps, countering passes, hip movement drills, transitions to open guard and important concepts.

You can watch them here:In the past I've been criticized for not showing anything original and just copying techniques from famous people. I thought about it and maybe they're right; I learn from all over and often end up teaching it later. I've always given credit to whoever I learned from and I try to offer something more, if just a clearer explanation. I didn't think much of this until people started nagging me about it.

When I was talking with Leo Kirby about learning from people by copying then teaching others, he just said "Yeah, but isn't that what everyone does?"

So I'll be the first to say that I owe a great many people for what I show in these videos. This includes:

- Eduardo de Lima, my instructor, who teaches a great half guard that he attributes to his friends Gordo (yes, that Gordo) and Jean-Jacques Machado.
    - Trog, my training partner (and contributor to one of the videos) for trouble shooting with me.
    - Crazy James, a black belt who's been teaching me his half guard since I was a white belt.
    - Jay Valko for his amazing open guard transitions.
    - Leo Kirby for his z-guard instructional and advice.
    - Jeff Rockwell for his deep half guard tutorials, which he'll say he got from Minotauro (more of that nasty copying then teaching).
    - Andreh Anderson for his half guard tutorials.
    - Marcelo Garcia for his approach to half guard, x-guard and the "leglock" guard.
    - Stephan Kesting for his butterfly, half guard and even kneebar DVDs.
    - Indrek Reiland for his free half guard instruction with good ideas like the double paw grip.
    - Gordo for his DVDs and for having done this since the dawn of time.
    - Eddie Bravo for bits and pieces of his half guard system.
    - Saulo Ribeiro for his half guard DVD and how he and his brother do reverse De la Riva and open guard.
    - Jean-Jacques Machado for his half and open guard in his books and ADCC matches.
    - Kenny Florian for his half guard sweeps in his no-gi seminar DVD.
    - Jeff Glover for the half guard I've picked up from watching him compete.
    - Franjinha for teaching half guard on the Paragon DVD.
    - Wilson Reis for his butterfly/half guard sweep underhooking the leg like in his EGO matches.
    - Gustavo Machado for his instructional DVD on half and quarter (arm wrapping) guard.
    - Baret Yoshida for his half guard sweeps in his Japanese book/DVD combo.

I'm sure I'm forgetting people, but that's a good chunk.

So what do I have to offer if I'm just "stealing" from all of these sources? In sampling from each of these people, I put together an approach and techniques that I liked better and I think I can explain how and why well enough to add a little more.

"Yeah, but isn't that what everyone does?"

Yup.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 3:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pay no attention to the haters. Even when you're just vidding some basic guard sweep it's more useful than 90% of the other videos of the exact same thing. Your delivery and presentation are outstanding and that alone is enough value added.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good stuff. that is the game i have been playing recently.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 3:21pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff Rockwell is an awesome, awesome guy. And he'll tell you exactly where he got his stuff too, pay no attention to the haters. You can always find someone who's done something similar to whatever's being taught.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate this ****, man. My half guard game is weak, maybe **** like this can help me improve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/01/2008 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    I appreciate this ****, man. My half guard game is weak, maybe **** like this can help me improve it.
    Pfft who needs to improve when you can just punch someone in the face...

Quality stuff though, with excellent presentation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the materials (although I haven't been able to sneak a view of the 3rd in the series at work yet). I like the fact that you include some options in case you get flattened. I first got exposed to half guard from Eddie Bravo's book and lessons from one of his instructors - so I assumed you always started out flat on your back, cross-faced and worked your way out from there.

Now it's a d'oh moment as I realize there are other half guard games that try to avoid flattening and cross facing to begin with. Yeah, I still get flattened, but at least I don't invite it any more (lie there and get squashed).

Framing looks easier than it is in practice, but I'll keep working on it. Our new instructor showed me how he frames, and while admittedly I'm light and small, I simply couldn't crush his arms or legs down no matter how well I sprawled.

Sometimes you have been known to take popular requests. I don't know if you will be including any Glover half-guard moves, but I'd sure like to see some. I got to see inverted halfguard and it seems pretty slick.

Tactical Nutrition, LLC

Posted On:
    5/09/2008 11:22am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     http://www.tacticalnutrition.net/ Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesopian,

We couldn't be much more unalike physically, or in a lot of cases our style, but I've made it a point to read and view pretty much if not everything you've posted. What I most appreciate is that you've given thought and your own perspective in trying to add things to your game and work for you.

BJJ evolves, that is part of what we all love about it. This evolution doesn't come from Universities and research grants, but from people sharing their ideas and experiences. Some of my biggest leaps in technique have come from sitting around open mat and trying out different things wtih my training partners to see what happens, I believe you've taken this to another level and appreciate it.

I look forward to meeting you at the tourney on the 31st.
    FIGHT HARDER! FIGHT LONGER!
    http://www.tacticalnutrition.net

Posted On:
    5/09/2008 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a man crush on Aesopian.

I used your half-guard split/sweep last night during free rolling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/10/2008 9:00am

Style: No gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i used some of the stuff last class and it was setting up my x-guard perfectly.

thanks man

*you can use this on your testimonials page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast