Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 2:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello

Hello, Firstly may I state that I am most definitely not a cheat. I referee bouts fairly and fights are not works. TTMMA is a small informal association organizing amateur MMA boughts in the exciting tag team format. Thank you for pointing out that MMA is banned in NY you are right and I have already been advised on myspace.

Therefore the spring championships will be relocated to another state like CT but I am still looking for a gym with a boxing ring we can use for minimum price or free.

The guy Tony who fought for us and then bad mouthed us saying we cheat is just a bad loser. The fights are fair I promise you that. I really want to know how to move our group from underground status to mainstream status but I don't know how to account for charging people admission or stuff. Closed door is much easier to arrange but we struggle getting full cards. Any tips would be graciously accepted.

TTMMA Home 1

TTMMA Home 2
    Last edited by TTMMA Dragon; 5/03/2008 2:37pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TTMMA Dragon
    Hello, Firstly may I state that I am most definitely not a cheat. I referee bouts fairly and fights are not works. TTMMA is a small informal association organizing amateur MMA boughts in the exciting tag team format. Thank you for pointing out that MMA is banned in NY you are right and I have already been advised on myspace.

Therefore the spring championships will be relocated to another state like CT but I am still looking for a gym with a boxing ring we can use for minimum price or free.

The guy Tony who fought for us and then bad mouthed us saying we cheat is just a bad loser. The fights are fair I promise you that. I really want to know how to move our group from underground status to mainstream status but I don't know how to account for charging people admission or stuff. Closed door is much easier to arrange but we struggle getting full cards. Any tips would be graciously accepted.

TTMMA Home 1

TTMMA Home 2
    Bro...if this is indeed really you; think about what you're doing. You're promoting an illegal sport based upon your geographic location. If what your fighters are saying is true and you lack a legitimate "fight doctor" and EMTs/Paramedics at ringside, you're certainly setting yourself up for mucho legal trouble if somebody gets hurt. No matter what you get somebody to sign, in most cases...you can't sign away your right to sue somebody over injuries or negligence. It sounds like if you want to go legit with this thing, that you've got a long road ahead of you.

MMA sports themselves are risky to a point. Sure...people can be crippled or can die if your referee, fight staff (docs/EMTs), judges, promotional and event staff are "teh suck" and they are undertrained and underqualified. I would seriously suggest that you try to seek out some sort of professional sanctioning body to sanction such events in the future; however since you're planning something like "Tag-Team MMA", I'm unsure that any sanctioning body would touch something like that. Some states require that you go through the state boxing commission or get an independent body such as WKA or something to provide legitimate frameworks and established rules which meet/exceed legal standards for fighter safety, the prevention of communicable diseases, and fighter health in general.

Usually for a reasonable fee or rate--the sanctioning body will provide refs and judges; and you can hire "fight docs" and "paramedics" and such fairly reasonably. All fighters should have some sort of pre-fight "weigh in" (avoiding mismatches of 10lbs or more until you hit about 235lbs), a pre-fight physical by your fight doc(s), and a reasonable response plan in cases of emergencies. The bottom line is that you want a professional and safe event.

And...in regards to the previous comments about the impartiality of your refereeing---
    Avoid personally getting involved in judging or refereeing such bouts if you are promoting it. That means you, your friends, or your associates. While usually MMA bouts don't go to judges' decisions, you don't want/need that sort of controversy if you expect any sort of credibility for what you're planning. Not to sound like a dick, but this venture of yours is going to take a lot of work and you're going to need a lot of help...even if you can find a sanctioning body which would touch this sort of thing with a 10-foot pole. I wish you luck.

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 3:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have never held an event in NY but we have in Boston and smaller ones in PA I don't think we have broken any laws.

I have refereed and competed and I have refereed kickboxing to so I am comfortable doing it I don't see a problem.

TTMMA is a sanctioning body :-)

And another assumption is that we are not good enough at emergency aid, that's not fair. Do we need to have a paramedic standing by every time you spar?

Today's event is postponed until later this month due to legal concerns. Sorry to our fans.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 4:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks for stopping in and answering questions.

And another assumption is that we are not good enough at emergency aid, that's not fair. Do we need to have a paramedic standing by every time you spar?
    Please don't do that it isn't right.

Sparring does not equal fighting in an amateur contest at all.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 9:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although TTMMA may be a sanctioning body, it must be recognized by the NY stat Athletic commission in order to sanction events in NY. There are only a few orgs on that list that can sanction in NY and TTMMA is NOT n the list.

In fact none of the current bodies can sanction MMA.

Also, it is not unfair to expect a paramedic to be at all of your events, it is common sense and legally required if you were to sanction an event (which you are not allowed to do anyway in NY).

I highly doubt you are an organiztion of any sort, probably just a bunch of people getting together and fighting. No problem with that. Just do not try to come off as an organization who sanctions fights when you don't even think you need a paramedic/ambulance.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 10:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Although TTMMA may be a sanctioning body, it must be recognized by the NY stat Athletic commission in order to sanction events in NY. There are only a few orgs on that list that can sanction in NY and TTMMA is NOT n the list.

In fact none of the current bodies can sanction MMA.

Also, it is not unfair to expect a paramedic to be at all of your events, it is common sense and legally required if you were to sanction an event (which you are not allowed to do anyway in NY).

I highly doubt you are an organiztion of any sort, probably just a bunch of people getting together and fighting. No problem with that. Just do not try to come off as an organization who sanctions fights when you don't even think you need a paramedic/ambulance.
    I'm echoing this sentiment---certainly for your own good (in a criminal and civil sense). You as a promoter and referee (which is a really bad combination), have a responsibility to ensure that your fighters are a) healthy enough to fight b) meet weight requirements of a specific weight class c) that any fighters who are injured are treated immediately or have the fight stopped altogether by a fight doctor or at the very, very least---an experienced paramedic or Physician's Assistant. Most boxing commissions or sanctioning bodies require both doctors and/or EMTs on hand with a specific set of protocols to follow in case of an "in match injury" which might stop the fight---or if a fighter is too badly injured and must be transported to a hospital.

Think about liability for a long, hard minute. As an organizer/promoter---YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for this sort of thing in criminal and civil courts. You can't just have your fighters sign a piece of paper absolving you of any/all liability for injuries incurred in the ring. Even if you are 100% right and the fighter 100% wrong---can you afford a protracted legal battle in court to prove it? Such cases can bankrupt corporations---not to mention private citizens. I also saw no mention of insurance by you guys, either. This is extremely bad. You need liability insurance, BIG TIME. Although it is not likely---MMA is a contact sport. People can unexpectly...just die. You have to be prepared for that eventuality. Not a year goes by that you don't hear about a dozen or so kids dropping dead while playing football, or catching a line-drive baseball shot in the chest which stops their heart, etc....in contact sports, there always exists the possibility of death. Remember that.

I would recommend that you move your operation outside the state of New York to one that is more MMA friendly. Use your "door takes" or money earned to join/use a legit sanctioning body and use THEIR REFEREES (which are trained and experienced). As a promoter, you need to worry about getting the locale for the event, hiring your event staff, getting insurance, hiring yourself a fight doc and a couple of EMTs, and recruiting/scheduling fighters for your bouts. Do not personally get involved with rule interpretation or enforcement---lest you worry about bad press plaguing your events with rumors of "fight fixing", "cheating", or "incompetence."

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care about cheating refs, but I am really eager to see more tag-team MMA! They should do mixed-gender ones too!

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't do weight classes we have newb, intermediate and advanced instead it works. Weight classes don't make sense for tag team because it can be two on one or two on two anyhow. Skill level is much fairer that's where other orgs go wrong they mismatch skills.

Hey I know you don't agree with all my decisions but I appreciate the feedback, honestly I do. One day TTMMA will be big enough t have shows in your home towns and I'll see you there you can tell me how you told me it was all going to end badly on the internet lol. Take care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 10:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ttmma dragon... so, you're a DRAGON. seriously dude, just call yourself a ninja, we know it's in you.

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey I know you don't agree with all my decisions but I appreciate the feedback, honestly I do. One day TTMMA will be big enough t have shows in your home towns and I'll see you there you can tell me how you told me it was all going to end badly on the internet lol. Take care.
    Aren't you the same guy who said you couldn't figure out how to go mainstream or even how to account for charging spectators? Balling up your fists and saying, "I'm gonna be rich and famous one day!" isn't even step one down the road to being rich or famous. Well, maybe infamous...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast