222023 Bullies, 4151 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need some help from you BJJ guys

I have to say in advance, I just started Jiu Jitsu at my UNI (3 Months ago) since they do a lot of ground game and they have some sort of “free rolling/sparring” on the weekend for advanced students and people form other MAs. I really like the free sparring. It is stand up, throws and ground, all the way, no breaks.
    Though there is a problem. The instructor is very skilled on the ground (JJ BB and solid Judo background) but he kind of dislikes me because I am way better in stand up then he is and everybody else in the class due to my other MAs. I don't do the stand up techniques like he shows them, since they suck (i.e. he can't do “good” kicks, he drops his guard while doing a punch, traditional stance while striking and stuff like this). And I have been honest with everybody there and told them I am just there for the ground game, nothing else. Due to this, he is not so “willing” to show me all the stuff on the ground. The second thing is he has like 60-70 Pounds maybe even more on me.
    Okay here comes the question. I only know very few ground techniques. I know the “basics” (how to pull guard and do a triangle, an armbar, RNC etc. . I can pass guard “so so” and I know some Joint Locks from Hapkido/AK or other MAs). But when ever I am parred up against my instructor (during normal classes we start from the knees) I end up on my back and my only “hope” is that he slips and I can pull of a triangle. This worked for 2 3 times but now he knows this is like my “only move” on the back and I have no chance to work my way out.
    So what can I do to transition from being on my back, having him in guard to any “better” position, where I am the “active” part? This I could handle better (at least I think).

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:44pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are submitting a BJJ blackbelt who has 60 to 70 pounds on you with a triangle? And you have three months of experience?

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twice yes, but not anymore. Oh and it is not BJJ it is normal JJ.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    I have to say in advance, I just started Jiu Jitsu at my UNI (3 Months ago) since they do a lot of ground game and they have some sort of “free rolling/sparring” on the weekend for advanced students and people form other MAs. I really like the free sparring. It is stand up, throws and ground, all the way, no breaks.
    Though there is a problem. The instructor is very skilled on the ground (JJ BB and solid Judo background) but he kind of dislikes me because I am way better in stand up then he is and everybody else in the class due to my other MAs. I don't do the stand up techniques like he shows them, since they suck (i.e. he can't do “good” kicks, he drops his guard while doing a punch, traditional stance while striking and stuff like this). And I have been honest with everybody there and told them I am just there for the ground game, nothing else. Due to this, he is not so “willing” to show me all the stuff on the ground. The second thing is he has like 60-70 Pounds maybe even more on me.
    Okay here comes the question. I only know very few ground techniques. I know the “basics” (how to pull guard and do a triangle, an armbar, RNC etc. . I can pass guard “so so” and I know some Joint Locks from Hapkido/AK or other MAs). But when ever I am parred up against my instructor (during normal classes we start from the knees) I end up on my back and my only “hope” is that he slips and I can pull of a triangle. This worked for 2 3 times but now he knows this is like my “only move” on the back and I have no chance to work my way out.
    So what can I do to transition from being on my back, having him in guard to any “better” position, where I am the “active” part? This I could handle better (at least I think).
    Dude, I'm not really sure what you're saying, but here is my contribution:

If you only have 3 months of experience, you need a proper coach. This guy doesn't sound like a proper coach.

I assume you mean he's a Japanese/Traditional Jiu Jitsu BB and not a BJJ BB? Because othewise there is no way you should be able to submit him

Also, I'm not really sure what you're driving at here. Your goal should be to improve your technique and skill set so you have more available than just the triangle, not to submit your instructor. Dear God, you are so far away from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Twice yes, but not anymore. Oh and it is not BJJ it is normal JJ.
    Just as I thought. If you want to work on your ground game, I suggest a real, ground specific grappling school/art, like BJJ or Sambo.
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweeps.

Edit: I second everything The Question just said.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a BJJ blackbelt, a JJ blackbelt. Those are not always the same.

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The JJ class is the only thing offered in this fucking city, that has any ground game, so it is either take it or leave it. And my goal is not to submit my instructor, it is to get better on the ground, therefor I need to find a way how to transition from guard to anything else. This was what I was asking for. So please shut up on this ok?

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:56pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I had a student submit me after 3 months of training I would kill him, and then myself.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 1:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The JJ class is the only thing offered in this fucking city, that has any ground game, so it is either take it or leave it. And my goal is not to submit my instructor, it is to get better on the ground, therefor I need to find a way how to transition from guard to anything else. This was what I was asking for. So please shut up on this ok?
    Here is your problem: You will not, I repeat, will not be able to learn this properly from the internet.

This **** is basic. It's not the same as having a base, then picking up techniques from videos. You have nothing to stand on. You will not make any useful progress. You need to have a coach show you basic **** like this.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast