Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 151617 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only person who thinks the Penn/Sherk stoppage was a little weird? I can understand stopping a fight between rounds if a fighter is completely wrecked (Belcher-Starnes) or if the guy quits on his stool (Shamrock-Ortiz 1) but what the heck was that? The Nakamura-Thierry S. fight (which aired right after the main event) saw almost the exact same scenario play out (guy is dropped and eats plenty of punches, but the bell sounds) and that would have gone to a second round if Nak hadn't jacked his knee up. What the huh?

That wasn't the only inconsistent reffing on the card, they stopped Thiago Silva's fight after three punches from the mount, but it looked like Relij was going to beat Wilson into the proverbial living death before the ref finally stepped in.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 10:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Sherk said he couldn't continue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 10:44pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy who was fighting T Silva tapped to the GnP.

@Speedemon: I think that's a valid point, but people still think Machida doesn't engage often enough. In my opinion, its all personal preference. I'd take switch kicks and unexpected takedowns over a jabfest any day. But to each his own...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 10:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    I believe Sherk said he couldn't continue.
    Are you sure? I heard Mike Goldberg say "BJ is saying that is over, Sherk saying that it's not." while BJ was walking to his corner after the bell and Sherk was getting up on his hands and knees, then I heard Rogan say "The referee is calling for it." so I immediately started screaming that the UFC and the NSAC had screwed Sherk over again and threw my chair into a wall. (It was very fortunate for me that I chose NOT to watch this UFC at Buffolo Wild Wings, as I have the past few.)

This was just a very strange UFC overall, we have Wanderlei Silva from the 90s showing up, then Tito's underrated jiu jitsu (mentioned by Rogan at every UFC Tito has fought at) putting in a belated appearance, plus a mention of Randy Couture on a live broadcast.

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 10:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember BJ looking at Sherk and Sherk shakking his head. He could have been signaling that he wanted continue, but it looked like he was finished. He struggled to get to his feet after the bell rang and looked visibly dazed. It's not the first time that a ref has called a fight after the bell.

Also, if you watch that triangle in slow motion, Michima punched his way into that triangle and basically gave it to Tito and almost gave Tito the mounted triangle.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 10:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you watch that triangle in slow motion, Michima punched his way into that triangle and basically gave it to Tito and almost gave Tito the mounted triangle.
    He had hand his hand flat on the mat for the longest time, (what the heck Mr. Brown belt?) my brother and I were calling for the omoplata/gogoplate (in sort of rhythmic chant, "Omo!" "Gogo!" etc.) and we almost went nuts when Tito slapped on that triangle...good escape by Machida, though.

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 11:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't notice the hand, but Machima's a BJJ black belt now.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 11:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was how I say the Machida/Tito fight:
    Tito Ortiz vs Lyoto Machida

Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida avoided practically everything that Tito Ortiz had in his mixed martials arts arsenal. At one point "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" was even shooting double legs into thin air: Machida’s side stepping and un-orthodox angling left Ortiz with no way to secure a victory.

Throughout the first 2 rounds Machida aggravated Ortiz with constant footwork and rangy but weak strikes to the head and legs. Obviously being out-pointed on the feet and with no visible way to catch Machida, Tito’s game plan quickly disassembled and he was left to chase Machida around the ring; signs of his growing frustration became more evident every minute that passed.

The fans shared the same sentiment. The capacity crowd jeered when the action slowed down and rallied behind Ortiz every time he’d manage to land an inside strike or body lock Machida to no avail. Lyoto continued to fight 'his fight' showing great takedown defense and even body locking and sweeping Tito of his feet at one point.

In the third Ortiz came close to scoring a single-leg take down, but Machida's takedown defense remained on-point. Halfway through the round Machida landed a solid knee to the mid-section that crumpled Ortiz to the canvas. Machida pounced on top but in his exuberance “The Dragon” was nearly submitted by way of a tight triangle/arm bar setup that highlights Tito’s training with Dean Lister. Machida twisted to his back and Tito did not follow through to mount allowing Machida the back door escape.

Ortiz shared a few malicious words with UFC President Dana White on his way out but displayed respect to his fans during the post-fight interview. This may very well be the last time we see the "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" in the UFC, though I wouldn’t bet on it.

I wrote up the rest of the event here:
    http://www.topgunmma.com/viewArticle...rticleID=10421

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 11:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forgot the end of the first round where Machima slammed Tito into side control, pinned both arms, and pounded his face. Also, who gives a **** about the stupid fucking UFC fans. My personal highlight was Tito throwing up his hands in frustration after the first bell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2008 11:21pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forgot the end of the first round where Machima slammed Tito into side control, pinned both arms, and pounded his face. Also, who gives a **** about the stupid fucking UFC fans. My personal highlight was Tito throwing up his hands in frustration after the first bell.

My personal highlight was Yves Lavigne falling backwards on his ass.