Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:53pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Minoki Ichihara

I was browsing through some Daido Juku videos/history today and came across this page: http://www.daidojuku.com/eng/history.html, listing all the champions of annual tournament. Which led me to recall that the 3rd place finisher in 1991 and 1992 and the winner in 1990 and 1994 of Kudo's open weight tournament was Royce Gracie's first opponent in UFC 2.

YouTube - Royce Gracie vs Minoki Ichihara
    EDIT: Video is still up, but embedding doesn't work. Follow the link.

Obviously he lost badly, even though he was from an MMA-like ruleset. So I'm wondering, what happened to the guy? Did he continue his karate career? He doesn't show up on the Daido Juku history site after 1994, and a google search only lists him as Royce's UFC 2 opponent.

Anyone have info on what he's doing now?
    Last edited by G-Off; 4/28/2008 6:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 6:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always wondered about that, too. I checked the Nexis periodical database & couldn't find anything much about him, though it does list this:

Variety

January 24, 1994 - January 30, 1994

PPV MAYHEM

Though Howard Stern has set the benchmark for a pay-per-view event with a record-breaking buy rate, there's serious money to be made even if you sell a fraction of his numbers. But it's clear that outrageous antics are required. So, naturally there will be a return of the PPV extravaganza dubbed the Ultimate Fighting Championship, with director John Milius lending his name once again as creative director.

The event, to take place March 11, is being put on by Semaphore, which is also presenting another Andrew Dice Clay PPV event after the first made the raunchy comic over $ 1 million.

In the first fighting championship, round-robin tournaments pitted a sumo wrestler, a prizefighter, a jujitsu master and others against each other in no-holds-barred, bare-knuckled battle last November.

Campbell McLaren, general manager and veep of programming, says that this time, a couple new combatants will be added to compete with the first winner, Royce Gracie. Key combatant will be Minoki Ichihara, the Japanese freestyle full-contact karate champ ready to defend the honor of his country. Enraged by the condescending treatment of Japan by pix like "Rising Sun" and "Gung Ho," the guy is down on the U.S. and wants to defend the national honor.

Luckily, in its corner the U.S. will have the toughest member of the Crips gang from Los Angeles. Maybe. "We want as much hype as possible, but the martial arts community takes this seriously," said McLaren. "This guy is a legitimate member of the Crips, but his only credential is that he lives in Compton." He'll be unarmed, of course. And the prize winner takes home $ 60,000. Stay tuned.

anybody know who the deadly Crip might have been? I'm guessing it wasn't Fred Ettish.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anybody know who the deadly Crip might have been?
    Ray Wizard. That might not even be his real name, because I've seen different names posted in his place when researching the topic.

Edit: Check it:
    YouTube - jeff newton vs Ray wizard
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 4/28/2008 6:43pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 7:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow ... how thoroughly sucktastic. and he managed to get guillotined by pat smith in under a minute.

thanks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 7:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    wow ... how thoroughly sucktastic. and he managed to get guillotined by pat smith in under a minute.

thanks.
    He was game, if you've ever seen the fight (It's a bonus on the UFC 2 DVD). But it was obvious that he could pose no threat to Pat Smith, and Smith damn well knew it; he gave this funky taunting gesture right in the beginning and just threw Wizard around. Wizard landed a few low blows up against the fence, but he passed out after getting guillotined and then started freaking out on the floor (He either thought he was still in the fight or he threw a temper tantrum).

As Jim Brown put it, Wizard knew he was way over his head right at the start but tried to make a fight of it anyway.

And I'd just like to say that every single UFC 2 fight that Pat Smith was in was pretty funktastic.

Edit: The commentators also mentioned that he was from Compton, so that's why I figured he was the Crip guy.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 4/28/2008 8:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 7:56pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    Luckily, in its corner the U.S. will have the toughest member of the Crips gang from Los Angeles. Maybe. "We want as much hype as possible, but the martial arts community takes this seriously," said McLaren. "This guy is a legitimate member of the Crips, but his only credential is that he lives in Compton." He'll be unarmed, of course. And the prize winner takes home $ 60,000. Stay tuned.
    Holy crap! That would have been awesome!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 9:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously he lost badly, even though he was from an MMA-like ruleset.
    Actually, to my understanding, Daido Juku didn't have the kind of grappling in it back then like it does today.

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 11:25pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe not, I can't find info on rules or videos from earlier than the late 90s. Either way, the Kudo grappling is clearly nowhere near the level of Royce's BJJ in 1994. But I've never heard of this guy since, and he was a favorite in the tournament to make it to the finals.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2008 12:24am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always wondered what happened to him as well.

He was such a favorite to do well in the competition, that he brought his own japanese news crew with him to the event. The japanese news crew ate up the fact that he was going to fight Royce right off the bat. It's kind of a shame though, not only did he lose in the prelims, but he wasn't even able to put up a decent fight against Royce to showcase his skills. The Japanese are big on honor, and Ichihara was basically representing not only his country, but what many viewed as the embodiment of true traditional karate from it's land of origin. He looked devasted after the loss. It wouldn't surprise me if it was at least partially intentional that he faded off into obscurity like that.