Posted On:
    4/26/2008 11:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

International Tactical Training Academy (ITTA), Orlando Mancia

Hey Everyone,

I reside in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and was recently looking at taking some form of Martial Art and found a place called the International Tactical Training Academy or the ITTA. The first things that drew this place to me was the Close Quarters Combat areas they specialize in and then their self defense.

What the ITTA says they teach is Ninjutsu (7th Degree Black Belt
    Certified by Masaaki Hatsumi in Japan).

From what I gathered from going to their dojo and talking with their head instructor Sensei Orlando Mancia is that they have that I like is:

1. A professional looking dojo.

2. An instructor who is not afraid of you asking questions and will answer anything you ask to the best of his knowledge and also really likes showing off his qualifications when you come in to talk with him.

3. An multitude of students from various backgrounds and cultures all who are open to giving a prompt opinion on the place. (Almost all I talked to being a positive and constructive opinion)

4. A wide variety of programs along with the ninjutsu that are one of the reasons I like the place as a whole.

5. When the class starts everyone seems to want to help everyone else do the technique properly and effectively and if its not working to see what wrong.

6. The flow of the techniques when shown and their basis on my past favorite element all techniques should be based on which is PAIN. If it don't hurt it don't work.

7. The availability of classes, about 5 per week of I do believe 2 hours though could be shorter or longer I can not recall the exact length.

The next points are all my cons of the dojo:

1. Contract on all programs for a minimum of one year and a maximum of two years with the longer duration being cheaper.

2. The cost and the lower cost of taking both the Ninjutsu and CQC (Close Quarters Combat) and/or the Ken-jutsu classes. The cost being I think around $100/month on a two year contract for just Ninjutsu and $150/month on a one year contract. The CQC and Kenjutsu at $150-$250 a month depending on what it is combined with.

3. The suggestion of not taking just the CQC without the Ninjutsu as previously stated this is what first drew my attention to it.

4. Calling themselves international though after i got back from the introduction class I could not find them anywhere but Canada/Alberta/Calgary.

And then a con or pro: the odd way the class was organized there was no set amount of time on techniques. Just throwing ones after another and counter after counter and hoping some stuck in your head. I particularly didn't like the way this was done because I like to categorize everything, note it down and then practice all later and decide when i have a calm mind.

The school can be found at

http://www.ittacanada.com/ninjutsu.php

The only direct information I could find on the Sensei Orlando Mancia was from their web site mentioned above.

If anyone could have some helpful information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 9:01am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to purposefully bump a thread but this seems to have such a lack of any foot print of any kind my deciding factor of why I did not join and am currently not regretting it at all.

As always I hope someone finds this and that was (or even is) a student to tell us eventually if this is 100% BS or not.

In general I follow a rule, if your making someone sign a contract of agreeing to pay regardless of service they receive its usually not a good idea or at least bullshit.

So my verdict is in on this lone 'International' school secular to only the wonderful place known as Calgary Alberta.

If I do ever get rich I will join and tell everyone whether BS or otherwise but I bet they have a non-disclosure agreement along with there contract.

Regards,

Posted On:
    1/16/2010 9:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't recommend this place. he is more of a salesman than an instructor. granted, he may know what he's doing and fully certified, but the fact he tries to sell sell sell all the damn time is annoying. he also believes whatever equipment he has is best and also does not respect other martial arts.
    oh ya, you also are REQUIRED to take his CQB classes if you want your black belt (sorry, not familiar with the different belts). what kind of dojo makes you take a cqb course for a black belt in any martial art? interesting.
    join itta and be ready to spend big $$$. you are warned.

good luck in your search.

Posted On:
    1/20/2010 11:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks structured, seems like you get a good vibe, see where it gets you.
    Keep us updated

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 1:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do I begin, I'll first make a brief list of general traits you'll find in searching for a traditional Japanese art(Ryu) and you can see if those match up to the school your looking at.

1. Ryu are ussually taught by average people,that teach for reasons other than financial gain.

2.The majority of Ryus are only taught in Japan(with a few exception abroad) and very difficult to gain access to.

3.Any school claiming pre-Meiji origins, would have no problem in providing documentation of those roots.

4.When it comes to contracts, it seems like your joining a fitness club You Probly are! There are some exceptions,some schools, still use oaths through written contract or verbal.(Uphold schools honor and rules or punishment in the afterlife..etc.)

5.Ryus are ussually taught in small and personal classes.The Sensei will lead you every step of the way and teach you face to face.(So if its a building of 500 black belts then you might be in the wrong place.)

6.Studing Ryu is a lifelong journey that requires blood,sweat and tears,with buckets of humility. Its not something you'll obtain in a year or two, its an eternal path. Its like becoming part of a family.

If this is the path you want to pursue then, I hope this can lead you in the right direction.When it comes to close combat fighting, I believe Sambo is an excellent first choice and if your looking for a more Japanese Jujutsu style a solid choice is Daito-Ryu.The best of luck down your path of Martial studies.
    Last edited by KingSakana; 2/03/2010 2:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2010 3:45pm

Style: Reality Self Defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really People if you are interested in these types of tactics, you should be going to the source: Blackwater (Xe), Dyncorp, Triple Canopy, Golden Seal Enterprises...If it is CQC you want, that's where you go...Everyone should be training with people who have done that in actual combat, under stress, and with results...
    If you are looking for H2H tactics then pick a Certified Qualified Instructor with a paper backing and with a good reputation and that is hard these days to find..
    It always comes down to what you are looking for....Dont go to a ONE STOP SHOP...There will be lacking somewhere....

Thoughts?
    Last edited by zipit777; 2/03/2010 3:46pm at . Reason: forgot a word

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 3:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @zipit777: I would train with these organizations if any of them were accessible and worth it where I am. Which is Canada, AB Calgary and there are VERY few places to go and train let alone the laws are very restrictive. (Any AR15 variant and all handguns are subject to only going to 'registered ranges' and few other areas like gunsmiths after you get AUTHORIZATION to transport from the RCMP)

So this was one of the reasons I looked here but am now looking into going on vacations to places like Nevada where I can train with a few people that know what they are doing.

@KingSakana: Excellent points man, this is why I created this thread so people can yet again see that posts can be informative. ITTA doesn't have many of these qualities and seems more like a sales pitch.

@MichaelLam: I have decided for the time being since there schedule is a little messed up and they DEMAND a contract I will not becoming a member and if I do or if ANYONE has been a member LET US KNOW.

@mrblue: Well said enough

For to slightly end my involvment in this thread (since I am never on these forums). Please if anyone here has been or is at ITTA let us know.

Good training or High steaming pile of male cow poo?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 3:46am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

LOL, ******'s choke is so weak that boychick has to punch himself in the face to get KOed.

Uncle Rafe says: DO NOT DO NINJUTSU, LADIES.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 5:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In order not to troll you:

Your error is in considering ninjutsu in the first place.

If the instructors have BBT/ninjutsu as their primary style, chances are big that the gun training is also only an extension of LARPing.

Obviously, you can go there, and hop it's not like the zillions of other BBT schools out there, OR you can go somewhere you are sure that the system you are learning isn't adverse to realism in the first place.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    2/04/2010 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are plenty of good MMA schools here in Calgary. Don't bother with this. If you don't want to do MMA, there's kickboxing, judo, BJJ... all over the place. Ninjutsu or BBT are a no go, my friend.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast