Posted On:
    4/26/2008 7:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sayoc at home?

Hey all-

I don't post terribly often, but I could use some outside comments. I've been taking FMA for 8 months now and really love it. We deal with the same stuff you would at almost any FMA school, sword, knife, single/double stick, and empty hand. My primary interests are continuing empty hand (Kuntao Silat) and learning as much about knife work as possible (I don't want to go into a bar and shread people or anything, I don't think jail is my style...I just think that knife work can be really beautiful in some regards).

My instructor said that if I want to get really serious about knife work I should look into Sayoc Kali since that's what they are known for (he'll be the first to tell you he's good at pretty much every weapon after 20 years, but his primary weapon will always be stick).

I was poking around the Sayoc website and there was a link about learning Sayoc at home (there are no Sayoc schools in my area that I know of...Kansas City).

Apparently the Sayoc at home style training tends to be mostly watching DVDs and downloading training excercises. I've never done this style of "at home" training and was wondering if anyone out there has or can share more info about Sayoc.

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    4/26/2008 9:08am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are pretty much no solo drills in the system's early stages except for just hitting the vital template over and over again(boring as balls).

IF you have a partner available, and IF you have already picked up basic striking mechanics with the knife, as well as knife-tapping skills, THEN you could improve your offensive game working the material from the 3 of 9 template and the first transition drill.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 3:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA/Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    link pls?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 3:25pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try posting in the forum at sayoc.com for training partners. i seem to remember someone in kc wanting to start a training group.

tim

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 5:50pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are pretty good about that. They don't have the handy group-finding tools the ARMA does, though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 8:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wrong thread!
    Last edited by Morph; 8/02/2008 12:42am at .

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timolocus
    My instructor said that if I want to get really serious about knife work I should look into Sayoc Kali since that's what they are known for (he'll be the first to tell you he's good at pretty much every weapon after 20 years, but his primary weapon will always be stick).

I was poking around the Sayoc website and there was a link about learning Sayoc at home (there are no Sayoc schools in my area that I know of...Kansas City).

Apparently the Sayoc at home style training tends to be mostly watching DVDs and downloading training excercises. I've never done this style of "at home" training and was wondering if anyone out there has or can share more info about Sayoc.

Thanks in advance.
    Sayoc stuff is good, I also like Atienza Bros stuff. They are closely connected.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney