218358 Bullies, 7897 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/27/2008 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    lenne hardt and her curly red hair are japanese? who knew!
    Though Pride ringside commentator, Eiko Koike happens to be Japanese. She also happens to be teh hot.

Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 12:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, how'd this thread go from Fred Ettish to Major Boobage...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 2:55am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bringing it back...

Those who did not witness the epic stomping of Fred Ettish prior to hearing about his subsequent redemption will never understand why he is lampooned so ferociously.

Seriously. Fred Ettish's fight is inarguably present on any list of the most spectacular failures in MMA history. It encapsulates in 3 minutes the entire bullshido epidemic. Every element was present: silly rankings, dead patterns, lack of athleticism, absolutely no idea how to fight on the ground or get up, and ofcourse a brutal beatdown from a relatively unskilled opponent.

The best part is that it was Fred Ettish. He was the perfect man for the job because noone else could've illustrated the point so vividly. He actually showed up. Bringing absolutely nothing to the fight but a paper-warrior's genuine pride. And then... he... just... kept... going.

We're not talking about the clean 30 second defeats Royce delivered to others via quick submission. These were too quick to resound. Or even the short brutal episode Pat Smith gave some ninjer.

No, this was 3 fucking minutes (eons by early UFC standards) of Fred stubbornly/valoriously beating his head against a wall. Being mangled slowly and unprofessionally by a far less formidable opponent than either Royce or Pat Smith while all the while you were watching as your brain screamed "My god why haven't they thrown in the towel?!".

Fred Ettish is the face of TMA failure. And people wondering why he gets clowned so hard have completely missed the boat.

..All that's left now is the triumphant return of an evolved man. For cementing his role as a great contributor to the new martial arts paradigm, he's got my vote.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I often wonder how many people who give Fred Ettish **** actually saw UFC II when it happened, or if they just look at that fight through the lense of the last decade of martial arts.

I saw UFC II very shortly after it happened (pirate video), and I didn't think "LOLz you are teh tma, you suck", because there wasn't a 'tma', just ma.

I didn't laugh at Ettish, I was shocked, and Ilove to see YAMMA give him an opportunity to redem himself, if only for himself

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:01am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve, just one question: has he lost the cowboy 'tache?

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, yes, long ago.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 5:15am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, he is serious about redemption.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn, did he seriously lose the stache!?
    ~Bruce Lee

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he gave it to steve mazagatti. i wonder where it lives now, since he hasn't worn it lately.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by h_sh_m
    Bringing it back...

Those who did not witness the epic stomping of Fred Ettish prior to hearing about his subsequent redemption will never understand why he is lampooned so ferociously.

Seriously. Fred Ettish's fight is inarguably present on any list of the most spectacular failures in MMA history. It encapsulates in 3 minutes the entire bullshido epidemic. Every element was present: silly rankings, dead patterns, lack of athleticism, absolutely no idea how to fight on the ground or get up, and ofcourse a brutal beatdown from a relatively unskilled opponent.

The best part is that it was Fred Ettish. He was the perfect man for the job because noone else could've illustrated the point so vividly. He actually showed up. Bringing absolutely nothing to the fight but a paper-warrior's genuine pride. And then... he... just... kept... going.

We're not talking about the clean 30 second defeats Royce delivered to others via quick submission. These were too quick to resound. Or even the short brutal episode Pat Smith gave some ninjer.

No, this was 3 fucking minutes (eons by early UFC standards) of Fred stubbornly/valoriously beating his head against a wall. Being mangled slowly and unprofessionally by a far less formidable opponent than either Royce or Pat Smith while all the while you were watching as your brain screamed "My god why haven't they thrown in the towel?!".

Fred Ettish is the face of TMA failure. And people wondering why he gets clowned so hard have completely missed the boat.

..All that's left now is the triumphant return of an evolved man. For cementing his role as a great contributor to the new martial arts paradigm, he's got my vote.
    Truth. Though it is still unfair that he gets lampooned when he was always upfront and honest about himself, and even went so far as to change his training, while other far more deserving candidates (who DIDN'T step up) get to still run around the MA community with an aire of respect (Boztepe, Wallace, every teacher who regularly writes for BBMag).
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast