Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last
  1. #41
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I'll second that. His opponent was a heavier, younger pro-kickboxer IIRC.
    Wasn't it Pat Smith? Turns out it was Johnny Rhodes, who then lost to Pat Smith.

    Quote Originally Posted by folkhero72
    I think it goes without saying that his opponent should be Kalib Starnes.
    Fred Ettish had and still has a fuckton more heart than Kalib. He went in with his traditional rigid Okinawan stance, got smashed in his face and knocked down and still tried for several more minutes to get up while gamely upkicking at his opponent.

    Ettish doesn't deserve all the heat, he gave it his best and didn't quit.

  2. #42
    Deadmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to say that I am really impressed and pleased by the way this thread has been received and is progressing. Any other MMA themed site that has discussed this issue (that I've seen) has been completely derogatory and unfair about Fred,

    Frankly, I think that Fred typifies the state of Martial Arts. He was a traditionalist, and (let's face it) fit the stereotype quite well at the time, and after his defeat, he learned from the experience and developed his skills accordingly.

    No different to what basically the majority of the MA community did following the early UFC's, with the exception being that Fred DID pressure test his style, while most others just watched other practitioners of their own arts getting demolished by more broad-based fighters.

    Good for him. THough I will suggest that he's left it a little late for his comeback.

  3. #43
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    Frankly, I think that Fred typifies the state of Martial Arts. He was a traditionalist, and (let's face it) fit the stereotype quite well at the time, and after his defeat, he learned from the experience and developed his skills accordingly.
    This...

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    No different to what basically the majority of the MA community did following the early UFC's, with the exception being that Fred DID pressure test his style, while most others just watched other practitioners of their own arts getting demolished by more broad-based fighters.
    And this is why Fred deserves credit, rather than ridicule for his one fight in the octagon.

  4. #44
    Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc. supporting member
    Ke?poFist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    6,919
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I just want to say that I am really impressed and pleased by the way this thread has been received and is progressing. Any other MMA themed site that has discussed this issue (that I've seen) has been completely derogatory and unfair about Fred
    I find that Bullshido doesn't keep as many "one-hit-wonder" posters that many other boards have. Go on Sherdog and it's more like each thread serves as more of a shout box rather than a real discussion. I don't like discussion boards that are youtube-esque in members commentary. Here, it seems everyone is active in the martial arts in one way or another, and general respect is given regardless of personal bias when someone jumps in the cage.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee


  5. #45
    Deadmeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ke?poFist
    I find that Bullshido doesn't keep as many "one-hit-wonder" posters that many other boards have. Go on Sherdog and it's more like each thread serves as more of a shout box rather than a real discussion. I don't like discussion boards that are youtube-esque in members commentary. Here, it seems everyone is active in the martial arts in one way or another, and general respect is given regardless of personal bias when someone jumps in the cage.
    Well said. I agree.

    Damnit. Apparently I have to go do some pushups now.

  6. #46
    BSDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    2,024
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got this press release from YAMMA's web site:

    Quote Originally Posted by yammapitfighting.com
    April 27 2008 - YAMMA pit fighting has announced that Fred Ettish will be making his debut in the YAMMA against MMA and Tae Kwon Do fighter Jeremy Bullock. Jeremy is another malingered fighter made famous for his super axe kicks and flying bicycle kicks, but who suffered his first and only loss when his attempt at a rudimentary guillotine choke were countered by Travis Fulton picking him up and slamming the **** out of him.

    Also confirmed on the card for "YAMMA ][: Journeyman's Quest", is the return of former "The Ultimate Fighter" contestants Kaleb Starns, who will be facing Gabe Ruettiger, and Joey Scarola will be facing Noah Inhofer in a fight to see who loves their girlfriend more. In the final quarter final matchup YAMMA will feature the return of Former NFL player Johnny Morton who is taking on Russian Sensation Viacheslav Datsik.

    In order to enhance the quality of the production; the hosts will be replaced by Bill "Superfoot" wallace who will be doing the play-by-play as well as color commentary by YAMMA I ring Announcer Scott Ferrall, who will be joined by that shreikey Japanese chick who used to work for PRIDE. Ferrall's job as Ring announcer will be taken on by renowned Los Angeles Disk Jockey DJ HOPPA who has spent the last year studying Portuguese pronunciation in anticipation of his return to the MMA multiverse.

    The only question left: WHO WILL BE THE KING OF THE YAMMA???
    Spoiler:
    (J/K)
    Last edited by BSDaemon; 4/27/2008 7:35pm at .

  7. #47
    hoodedmonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Carson WA.
    Posts
    2,396
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bastard!................... Ettish vs. bullock clasic!

  8. #48
    G-Off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    2,329
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, damn, damn. You had me going with the Ettish-Bullock matchup, I was all like "NO WAI!"

    But then you gave it away with Kalib Starnes, not even YAMMA would pay him to fight. Also, the screaming PRIDE lady sounds WAY funnier in fast forward.

  9. #49
    BSDaemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    2,024
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ettish-Bullock Trademarked April 27th 2008. Y'all know this will score huge amounts of PPV buys from "teh r3eal" MMA fans. To YPF: you can address the royalty checks to BSDaemon.

  10. #50
    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lenne hardt and her curly red hair are japanese? who knew!

Page 5 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO