Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 6:16pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Front Kick Dilemma

So I've tried talking to my local Karate partners on how to execute a proper Front Kick.
    Problem is, all the teachers execute a different front kick, so do most of the students. Week after week, I learn a different version of the Front Kick. I've asked help multiple times and recieved practically no helpful information. When I practice the kick in class, its hardly notice, and when it is noticed, I'm told I'm doing it wrong.

So when it comes around to actually practicing that particular kick, I come across some issues:

1. My toes keep bending down, which would cause my toes to break on impact.
    2. When my toes are pulled up, I have the problem of not having "full extension." I know the ball of the foot is the point you kick with but the actual initiation is difficult for me to understand without proper explanation.
    3. I have no idea how to execute the kick all together. I have been taught several variations of the front kick that I don't know which one holds any truth.

How concerned should I be If the basics I learn a week ago, are not compatible with the basics I learn this week? And What would be the recommended method to this kick?
    Last edited by Uncle_Phil; 4/21/2008 6:37pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 6:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Up, out, back, down. Thats the cadence Ive always learned. I didnt follow the extension issue you mentioned with your toes up. Is it a flexibility thing or do your instructors just say your toes should be pointed down to get extension?

For the record, toes up is the way to go

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 6:39pm

Style: Roshi Hermit Karate/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippon013
    Up, out, back, down. Thats the cadence Ive always learned. I didnt follow the extension issue you mentioned with your toes up. Is it a flexibility thing or do your instructors just say your toes should be pointed down to get extension?

For the record, toes up is the way to go
    Yeah you see, that was fine until it was out-dated apparently.

"Up, out, full extension!, no wait hips! no wait you can't turn your body! Full extension! Your body is to far back! Full extension! Kick with your hips now. Okay, Back down. couple more of those and you can practice a new front kick next week."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 6:56pm

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats what you get for learning karate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 7:50pm

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is how I think of the front kick (Not saying that this correct, just the way I think of it):

Knee up, ankle straight, toes pulled back (by ankle straight, I mean as if you were going to walk around on the ball of your foot with your heels as high off of the ground as possible).

Extented and straighten the knee, keeping the ankle as straight as possible, with the toes pulled as far back as possible. Do not turn sideways on the ball of your supporting leg.

As the kicking leg straightens, I push forward with the kicking hip a little bit, not enough to turn my hips sideways and not enough to cause me to fall forward.

After extending the kick I partially rechamber the kick (retract almost to the start position).

Next I place it back down depending on whether I want to step forward or back.

This seems to work well for me either front or rear leg front kicks. The main thing I try to keep in mind is not to extend the kick using only the knee joint, which results in an upward, flipping type of kick.

Bear in mind, I am a NOOB.

BTW, I have also been known to pull the ankle AND the ball all the way back and use the heel as the striking surface, but everyone assures me this is "bad".

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Phil
    Yeah you see, that was fine until it was out-dated apparently.

"Up, out, full extension!, no wait hips! no wait you can't turn your body! Full extension! Your body is to far back! Full extension! Kick with your hips now. Okay, Back down. couple more of those and you can practice a new front kick next week."
    That sounds either like an exercise for your leg muscles rather than an actual attack, or else a crock of **** if it's supposed to be an attack.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could never get the ball of my foot to extend. Pick whichever teacher does it closest to the way it feels natural for you and do it that way. Ignore everyone else. All this time spent worrying about your front kick would be better spent on your roundhouse.

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:26pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or pick whatever variation is the most appropriate for what you consider the use of the front kick to be.

i love front kicks... but i only use them to stuff people.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 9:49pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP:

How long have you been training?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    4/21/2008 10:03pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    As the kicking leg straightens, I push forward with the kicking hip a little bit, not enough to turn my hips sideways and not enough to cause me to fall forward.
    This is the key to full extension along with knee extension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMMBRBNtZLw

Watch the hip movement at extension: the upper body leans back and both hips push forward to give pushing power to the kick without any sort of snapping motion or something.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast