Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2008 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training Schedule. Suggestions?

Aside from just the crazy logistics and time-constraint issues I'll have with this once I'm out of college... which will be in about two weeks... I think I shall ask the peanut gallery about my training schedule. As a note, current (albeit not during these last couple exam weeks) schedule is the same as this, but replace MA stuff with two Karate classes twice a week, keeping the boxing and kickboxing workouts and adding random rolling with some grappling buddies of mine. I had really stopped hard training... or really training at all for about 7 months and then picked it back up slowly last semester and then went on a 16 week training extravaganza at the beginning of this semester. I think I'm back to where I was before I stopped training.

Monday
    Heavy Squats- 1 warm-up set, 5 working sets, optional 2 sets of partials
    Bodyweight Squats- Alternating Hindu and Sumo (up to about 350 total now)
    Strongman Exercises- Sets, job done, etc. Sledge, sled, woodchop, etc. PICK ONE! No more that 30 Minutes.
    Swim Distance- 1 Mile Max (This one's new for me)
    Kata-All known kata both sides x 5 (I feel bad for dropping the few kata I know)
    Grappling Drills-These are either in a BJJ class or with someone.
    Any Formal Instruction Available or Sparring/Grappling- Any Grappling/Boxing/Kickboxing/MMA class I can get into regularly for cheap or just sparring with anyone who will put gloves on... needless to say this is hit and miss.

Tuesday
    Stance Training or Dynamic Tension- Dynamic is all Kata 2 times on both sides. I feel like the both offer something, but maybe I'm just being sentimental...
    Body Hardening- Iron Body Workout (This I just enjoy)
    Circuit Training- Max 30 Minutes, mostly "Fight Gone Wrong" style
    Boxing Workout- Rounds of mitt drills, rounds of heavy bag, jump rope and shadowboxing.
    Stand-up Drills- specific drills for speed, accuracy or whatever.
    Any Formal Instruction Available or Sparring/Grappling- Ditto from before.

Wednesday
    Heavy Bench- 1 warm-up set, 5 working sets, optional 2 sets of partials
    Push-up or Pull-up Workout- Reps, reps, reps. Some tabata stuff, pyramids, it varies.
    Run Distance- 5 Mile Max
    Strongman Exercises- Same as before.
    Kata-Same as before.
    Grappling Drills- Same as before.
    Any Formal Instruction Available or Sparring/Grappling- Same as before.

Thursday
    Stance Training or Dynamic Tension- Same as before
    Body Hardening- Same as before.
    Circuit Training- Same as before.
    Kickboxing Workout- Same as Boxing, but with Kicks!
    Stand-up Drills- Same as before.
    Any Formal Instruction Available or Sparring/Grappling- Same as before
    Friday
    Heavy Deadlift- 1 warm-up set, 5 working sets, optional 2 sets of partials
    Full Body Bodyweight Workout- Alternating Hindu Push-ups and Squats or Alternating Plyometric Pushing Exercises with Plyometric Squats.
    Climb Distance (number of laps on wall, 20 foot rope, or tree)- 20 Laps Max (This one's new for me)
    Strongman Exercises- Same as before.
    Kata- Same as before.
    Mixed Drills- Drill specifically for MMA.
    Any Formal Instruction Available or Sparring/Grappling- Same as before

Saturday
    Sprints (Hill/Stair/Flat) and Swimming Sprints (if pool available)
    Stance Training or Dynamic Tension- Same as before.
    Body Hardening- Same as before.
    Reps of Individual Punches and Kicks and Reps of Combinations on Heavy Bag
    Mixed Drills- Same as before.
    Any Formal Instruction Available or Sparring/Grappling- Same as before.

Sunday
    REST

I didn't feel overtrained during my 16 weeks of crazyness, so I think I can take the schedule. Plus, I'm going to train in this manner for 7 weeks, then take one where I only do my MA stuff (it rounds it off to about a 2 month cycle). After 3 cycles (6 months), I take 2 weeks where I do nothing but recoop. Call me crazy, I like to train.

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: baguazhang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks a pretty intense work out, but there is only on thing that isn't balanced, but this all depends on what you personally want

Major lack of flexibility training

Obviously you want overall muscle strength from your routine, as well as cardio, and basic refinement of forms probably to keep you mentally sharp and remember them all. You could be very flexible and not need that training, so disregard this if you are. If not, some more ahead.

Any type of training, in my opinion is based on not just improving but balancing. If you are strong, thats awesome, but you probably lack the ability to move in a free flowing manner and although you strike hard, your bodies ability to turn and bend suffers. If you are flexible, you have that ability to bend but lack strength to throw someone down.

My advice, so it wouldn't consume too much of your schedule would be building up flexibility for, even just 5 minutes a day, every day, and alternating parts of the body. I find the key place to stretch is your hips.

The hips are extremely important, th provide your ability to kick, ability to bend, and also stretching your hips causes your stance time to increase 5 fold because if your hips are tight, your veins, arteries etc. find it harder to get blood into those areas so you feel that intense burning quickly, because the blood can't flow oxygen through to the muscles, so your body resorts to anaerobic respiration through lactic acid.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't quite understand your periodization here. You're doing your maximal effort work on the same day as your repitition effort work, and then throwing in your event training at least twice a week on your strongman stuff. Is there a method to the madness?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recommend you lose the kata.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2008 4:49pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaxoin
    Tuesday
    Stance Training or Dynamic Tension- Dynamic is all Kata 2 times on both sides. I feel like the both offer something, but maybe I'm just being sentimental...
    What are you hoping to achieve from dynamic tension?

And what the hell is stance training? Please don't say horse-stance or anything similar :p

Body Hardening- Iron Body Workout (This I just enjoy)
    Purely out of interest, what is body hardening?

To be honest, this seems like you've thrown together a load of exercises (some useful and some shite) together in the most random way possible. I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve, but wouldn't it just be easier to do a conventional 3x pewr week lifting program, cardio a couple of times a week and some sport training (MMA, kickboxing, whatever) whenever you can?

Ditch things like the Kata and do bagwork instead if you really have to do so much!

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 10:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you do your accuracy/speed work before your heavy lifting and strongman stuff.

Also, I agree with Emevas on your ordering of lifts.
    It would be better to do all your lifting spread over maybe 2 days a week, strong man 1-2x a week, and the other days spend on your MA training. But separate them so you can focus on one aspect for the days workout. Gear your wrkouts to specific goals like strength, endurance, skill, speed.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    5/07/2008 10:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason to do this is to give your body a break. Endurance workouts tax the body differently than strength workouts do. By doing a all of these different exercises each day you are not giving your body adequate rest. Just changing the setup/days and rearranging things will make your workouts much more effective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2008 3:19am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look up linear periodization, conjugate periodization and block periodization. Pick whatever one you want, any form of periodization is an improvement on your current program.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you guys so much. Your input was very useful in reformulating my training program. I have a habit of trying to do too much at one time. Yay overtraining! Haha.