Posted On:
    4/25/2008 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA in Montreal

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Montreal at the end of May for three weeks to visit relatives.

While there I want to keep up my martial arts training.

My background is primarily Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing, but in my search for a venue I came across this place:

http://www.montrealmartialarts.com/n.../mainpage.html

They are located 20 minutes from where I'll be staying and they offer boxing, Thai boxing, wrestling, BJJ and many more.

George St. Pierre and Patrick Cote both there, among others.

They certainly look legit, and with the above household names I guess it only adds to their credibility as a good gym.

But has anyone on this forum ever trained there? If so, what's it like? I'd primarily be training in Thai boxing and boxing for the duration of my stay, although I want to give the wrestling and BJJ classes a go as it will take me out of my comfort zone and will be a new experience.

Can anyone recommend other quality gyms in the Montreal area?

Many thanks for your time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 8:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gamma is a very legit place.

there's also H20

http://www.h2oma.com/news.html

for a stric MT place

http://www.daosawanmuaythai.ca/

for a strict BJJ place

http://www.montrealbjj.com/

where are you staying?

if you have time to kill, perhaps you can go visit a fang shen do school and write an objective review. they do have a one month free!!!!11!! after all...

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 10:07am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburntagb
    Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Montreal at the end of May for three weeks to visit relatives.

My background is primarily Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing, but in my search for a venue I came across this place:

They are located 20 minutes from where I'll be staying and they offer boxing, Thai boxing, wrestling, BJJ and many more.

They certainly look legit, and with the above household names I guess it only adds to their credibility as a good gym.

But has anyone on this forum ever trained there? If so, what's it like? I'd primarily be training in Thai boxing and boxing for the duration of my stay, although I want to give the wrestling and BJJ classes a go as it will take me out of my comfort zone and will be a new experience.

That's Tuhon Phillip Gelinas's place, isn't it? In addition to all his other stuff, he's probably one of the top five most accomplished FMA teachers in North America.

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 10:36am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburntagb
    Hi everyone,

Looked it over, yep, that's phillip gelinas's place. He's pretty much awesome at everything he teaches. If you're mostly doing standup, might as well try his JKD classes too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 10:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your feedback guys, and thanks for the links to those other gyms.

I'll probably stick with Phillip Gelinas and I'll write a review when I get back. Hopefully GSP will be there when I train, although I doubt he'll want to share mat time with a nobody like me!

What's this Fang Shen Do business? If there's one in the area, I'll check it out and report back.

Any Bullshido members in Montreal who would be up for a friendly throwdown?

Cheers :happy6:

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Phil's a great guy and his place is top notch. He pretty much destroyed everyone he fought at the "Return to Ramblas", and he's 55. One of the nicest guys on top of everything else.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 11:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't mind. we can arrange something. schedule is bit tight, but i'm sure we can do something.

unfortunately, i don't do striking and hence i suck big time (coupled with very bad eye sight) but whatever. we'll see.

and i'll be out of town beginning of June...

edit

actually, near the end of may, i'll be at a point where it would be unacceptable for me to be injured / less physically presentable, so i'd rather we just roll light. you could drop by at my bjj school for a class for example. i'll go no gi with you.
    Last edited by fanger123; 4/25/2008 11:38am at .

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    5/09/2008 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    Yeah, Phil's a great guy and his place is top notch. He pretty much destroyed everyone he fought at the "Return to Ramblas", and he's 55. One of the nicest guys on top of everything else.
    Yes, I can personally attest that Phil is a certified bad ass as he soundly kicked my ass. :crybaby2:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness