Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:32pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CORRECTION - Kalib Starnes Not Cut from ATT

I was wrong in reporting the original thread. I saw a MMA.tv thread where it was confirmed by an ATT BB that Kalib was out.

ATT Statement Regarding Kalib Starnes

[1] 2 Next»
    Posted: 5 hours ago
    AmericanTopTeam

There has been a lot of talk about Kalib’s relationship with ATT since his fight in Montreal. There have also been comments attributed to our head coach, Ricardo Liborio about Kalib’s future. We would like to set the record straight on this matter.

Obviously there were a lot of people disappointed in Kalib’s performance, including fans, UFC personnel, our team and Kalib himself. We respect the opinions of MMA fans and believe that, most of the time, criticism of fighters from fans and media comes when it is deserved.

Having said that, ATT takes tremendous pride in creating an environment where our members are treated with loyalty and respect. It is no coincidence that “ATT Family” is a common tattoo on many of our coaches and fighters. Expelling a fighter following a poor performance would not be consistent with this philosophy.

Ricardo Liborio did in fact address our fighters following a recent training session regarding what it takes to represent ATT as a professional fighter. The essence of his statements (which were obviously meant to be private) was that ATT sets high standards for its members and it is not possible to reach those standards unless a fighter dedicates himself to the program 100% and participates in all team training sessions. He stressed that anyone deviating from that mandate will not be allowed to train with or represent ATT in the future. Kalib’s preparation for this fight was used by Liborio as an example of what he does and does not expect of his fighters in the future.

We did not intend for this meeting to become public knowledge and regret that there was an inference of Kalib’s dismissal from our team. We believe that Liborio’s address, coupled with Kalib telling some friends he was contemplating retirement, fueled this speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha
    I was wrong in reporting the original thread. I saw a MMA.tv thread where it was confirmed by an ATT BB that Kalib was out.
    Your sentence does not compute. First you say you were wrong about Khalib being out, then you say that an ATT BB confirmed Caleb was out, then you post a quote that says Khaleb is not out.:dontknow:

SO IS HE OUT OR NOT!?!

Or is ATT be transferring him from "active fighter" to "conditioning coach"?
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 4/24/2008 11:50pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 12:04am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    Your sentence does not compute. First you say you were wrong about Khalib being out, then you say that an ATT BB confirmed Caleb was out, then you post a quote that says Khaleb is not out.:dontknow:

SO IS HE OUT OR NOT!?!

Or is ATT be transferring him from "active fighter" to "conditioning coach"?
    In the thread posed "Kalib cut from ATT", I used Parrumpinha's posting on MMA.tv as confirmation that Kalib was cut.

ATT has come out with an official statement that he was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 12:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. Bad idea IMHO, but then again I am some guy on the Internet and Ricardo Librio is...Ricardo Librio.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 5:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is the right choice for ATT. There is alot to be said about sticking by your fighters when **** hits the fan. If he stays, hopefully they can work on his mental game and attitude and turn him into something useful.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 6:46am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, my respects for ATT for sticking to his fighters.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 7:00am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    hopefully they can work on his mental game and attitude and turn him into something useful.
    if it hasn't happened by now...
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 7:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think getting cut by the UFC, having Dana White question his heart in public, and being remembered for one of the strangest and most dissappointing performances in UFC history, might just be the wake up call he needed.

... or maybe not... only time will tell.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony, you can tell us the real reason. Starnes gets to stay because he has already paid for his ATT Level 1 Certification, and Top Team doesn't want to refund his $6000, isn't that right?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 12:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    I think this is the right choice for ATT. There is alot to be said about sticking by your fighters when **** hits the fan. If he stays, hopefully they can work on his mental game and attitude and turn him into something useful.
    Starnes is really, really good raw material.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast