Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is obviously for the best. Anyone who has had serious surgery to their eye(s) should be very careful before making a decision to start boxing. Detatched retinas are a much more common injury than the sport's statistician's would care to reveal...even in the amateur ranks I boxed with guys who had this happen to them.
    As far as having blurry vision goes, one of my old instructors had pretty bad eyesight without his glasses and I recall him telling me that when he was young and training hard he would often only see a big blurry shape in front of him when sparring full contact, so he would just go nuts and pummel the blur. He actually thought it gave him a bit of an edge because although he might not have been as precise as others were, he was instilled with a tiny bit of panic due to his eyesight and this made him pretty ferocious in the ring.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/29/2008 9:45am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realize it's for the best, but it just upsets me. I'd gotten myself all set with the idea of looking like a half blind fool pawing ineffectually at the air. Now this, oh well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/03/2008 2:30pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    I realize it's for the best, but it just upsets me. I'd gotten myself all set with the idea of looking like a half blind fool pawing ineffectually at the air. Now this, oh well.
    Can't you prepare for the idea of being the one eyed fool pawing ineffectually at the air?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 11:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are worse things than being forced to train only in the grappling arts.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/04/2008 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    So, no boxing for me.

I spoke to the gentlemen who did my eye surgery and he strongly recommends I don't box, or in fact do any striking at all. Given the surgery performed the outer muscle in my eye is much weaker then it would be in a person who has not had surgery. He worries that the concussive trauma of boxing may cause the muscle itself to tear, causing bleeding, or separate entirely necessitating surgery to reattach it.

This officially.... sucks.

Back to BJJ and Judo then.

Dude, have you considered taking on boxing without having to spar? That is, just concentrate on the conditioning, footwork and bag drills (and focus mitts drills to the extend it simply is you hitting the mitts and not having to duck when the trainer tries to tag you with it.)

Talk to a boxing coach and ask for his opinion or suggestions. Yeah, it will never be the same w/o sparring, but that doesn't mean it would be completely useless and devoid of benefits.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    5/05/2008 9:26am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Dude, have you considered taking on boxing without having to spar? That is, just concentrate on the conditioning, footwork and bag drills (and focus mitts drills to the extend it simply is you hitting the mitts and not having to duck when the trainer tries to tag you with it.)

Talk to a boxing coach and ask for his opinion or suggestions. Yeah, it will never be the same w/o sparring, but that doesn't mean it would be completely useless and devoid of benefits.
    *blink**blink*

Ok.... stop being logical!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 1:31pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have a look at this article talking about a couple of great fighters (Joe Harris and Harry Greb) who were blind in one eye. There would probably be more (and more recent) examples if it were something that could get past an exam.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...e-interrupted/

quote from same article:
    "They lived by their own formless code, fought blind in one eye, often overwhelmed opponents with volume and strange angles instead of power"
    Last edited by muddy; 6/08/2008 1:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2008 7:22pm

Style: GJJ beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no experience with this, but I wonder if having a lot of head movement might help. Parallax from bobbing back and forth could give you a bit more distance information. Bonus: you'll look extra silly bobbing and weaving and slapping the air.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123