Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 7:42pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time I go to jiu-jutsu practice, I know I look extremely foolish, but I don't care -- I do my best, get a workout, and enjoy it. If people laugh behind my back, I suppose it compensates for the lack of joy I provide in conversation...

Actually, my epic failures at keeping up during kickboxing warmup, and my inability to perform round kicks with my left leg, may occasionally rival the comic value of my grappling. But what the hell, kicking things, even badly, is fun.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 8:26pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    Maybe you should just focus on the arts you have just started? Pun slightly intended?
    Can't train BJJ right now, and Judo is only two days a week.... it's just not enough. So I was looking into boxing for the other days I want to train.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dempsy Roll
    Off Topic: Where do you train? I live near Syracuse and I've been looking for a good BJJ or Judo place around here for a while and I haven't really been able to find any. (would've sent this in a PM but apparently I'm not allowed to PM people. Sadface.)
    Tai Kai Jiu Jitsu is my BJJ school.

www.Syracusebjj.com

It's a fine school, Ken Kronenburg is a great instructor.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feral
    I was a legally blind striker for a while until i had eye surgery. I had depth perception of sorts though, so i may have been better off then you...i dunno. Everything was fuzzy for me past about a foot, but i could still tell shapes.

You will probably eat more strikes then everyone else, I know I did. But i found i tended to do pretty well in the clinch. Though boxing clinches are pretty limited.
    This is kind of what I'm hoping will happen..... I'll just work on getting in and staying in, where distance isn't a huge deal.

I found a few gyms that aren't too expensive.... I'll post information here when I get it.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had a thought, would it be considered a good idea to talk to my eye doctor before starting to train?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    absolutely not.

under no circumstances should you ever consult a medical professional before undertaking an exercise regimen, especially if they might know a thing or two about specific health concerns you have.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:17pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other words, it's great to consult a professional before you do something that might be of risk to you, seeing as they can provide you with a host of helpful and perhaps essential information that we of bullshido cannot provide you with.

That being said man, as the others have already iterated... Everyone's gotta look like a fool sometimes, so just take it and laugh it off. We'll all get better eventually, and no one's going to laugh once you manage to do it. If you presevere and always just work with determination, no one that matters is going to laugh at you.

And yeah fellas, I knew that sounded like some sort of half-baked motivational speech. Sue me! I dare you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:36pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A buddy of mine that I used to train with had similar eye problems as you and required several surgeries. Striking with him was slightly amusing, as he had decent enough technique but no sense of distance and would throw punches that wouldn't even register as a threat against most strikers. Coincidentally enough, he ended up mostly sticking with Judo and BJJ because of the constant contact, he could tell where his opponent was.

That said, he still learned the craft of boxing, and did all the workouts, had pretty good defense, just couldn't hit anything. So yeah, he did look stupid, but he wasn't fighting any time soon, so it didn't matter 'cause he was having fun.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/25/2008 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    absolutely not.

under no circumstances should you ever consult a medical professional before undertaking an exercise regimen, especially if they might know a thing or two about specific health concerns you have.
    See this is why I keep you around! :new_smile

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 1:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, no boxing for me.

I spoke to the gentlemen who did my eye surgery and he strongly recommends I don't box, or in fact do any striking at all. Given the surgery performed the outer muscle in my eye is much weaker then it would be in a person who has not had surgery. He worries that the concussive trauma of boxing may cause the muscle itself to tear, causing bleeding, or separate entirely necessitating surgery to reattach it.

This officially.... sucks.

Back to BJJ and Judo then.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast