222203 Bullies, 3862 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kalib Starnes Statement on his Performance at UFC 83

The following is a statement by Kalib Starnes in response to detractors, critics, and fans after his seemingly inexplicable performance on Saturday night.

"I would like to begin by saying that I was very happy to fight in Montreal, and that I trained really hard for my fight. I know that there were many people, including myself, who were disappointed with my performance, and I would like to apologize to my coaches, trainers and the fans for what happened. It was by far the worst fight of my career, much to the credit of my opponent who proved to be a real monster in the ring, I think that they should keep him in a cave somewhere and feed him raw meat!

During the fight I received a broken bone in my right foot and I find out tomorrow if I need to have surgery and get a pin put through it so that it will heal properly. I also have severe bruising on my left thigh, lumps on my head, a fat black eye, a sprained jaw and damage to the nerves in my molars.

My injuries weren't enough to satisfy Dana White, who made comments after the fight insinuating that I would have been better served allowing myself to be knocked out. Comments which prompted me to ask to be released from my contract.

Those commenting on my performance and wondering why I asked to be released from my contract, a contract which they had repeatedly refused to renegotiate, should keep in mind how fighters are compensated by the UFC.

In my last fight for example I was coming off a win against one of the UFC's top middleweights Chris Leben. I trained for over three months for the fight, with all expenses coming out of my own pocket. Food, travel, accommodations, supplements, equipment, coaching, and cornermen. The athletic commission requires a pre fight medical exam, blood tests, eye exam, and often an EKG, ECG, MRA/ MRI, or CT scan. All of these expenses are mandatory, and are incurred by the athlete.

I was then injured in the bout and received a huge gash on my forehead, which caused the doctor to halt the bout prematurely. The cut became infected and I spent about two and a half months recovering, during which time I was unable to work or generate any income. The UFC, a company which earned hundreds of millions of dollars that year, paid me less than $5,000.

You should also keep in mind that I was fighting for the sixth time for the organization and my second time on live PPV, on an event which generated tens of millions of dollars. In short I paid somewhere between $20,000 to $30,000 dollars for the privilege of having my head split open.

For him to come out and make a statement like that as though I should be willing to suffer a brain injury while being paid less than $10,000 is beyond comment. How much is a brain injury worth anyway?

Since the fight, extremely biased articles and commentary have appeared everywhere; articles which were of course reprinted quite extensively by those lacking the imagination to make up their own lies. Accusations flew and continue to fly about every aspect of my life and character. I've heard reports that I appeared on a radio show in Montreal attacking the UFC, that I threw the fight in protest, that I've been abandoned by my team over my performance, that I escaped from a polygamist colony in Texas as a child, that I was homeless for years surviving on nothing but peyote caps and good intentions, etc, etc.

I've been bombarded by questions from every media organization you can imagine. You'd think that I had knocked up Britney Spears, or strangled Paris Hiltons pet Chihuahua. They ask me clever questions like: Why would you want to be released from your UFC contract? Were you injured? What was it like on that reality show? Exactly what is a ‘hollaback girl’? Do lion-tiger hybrids (ligers) really exist? Which is better, chocolate, or vanilla? And finally; Why is your cardio always in question?" But I don't answer them, ‘I just light my cigarette, and smile.’

I have been asked to appear on Inside MMA Friday to discuss it further. If you're confused about the quote, look it up. I will make copies of my medical records relating to UFC 83 available upon request.

I regret having to discuss this matter in the press, and would have preferred to discuss this matter in private. I was not given this opportunity and feel as though I was forced into a position where I had to respond publicly to the pointed and biased case building against me in the press.

Regardless of my dissatisfaction with my contract, I will say that to the best of my knowledge the UFC honored all agreements made with me while I was under contract with them. I do not blame the UFC in any way for my loss, and I hold no grudges against Nate Quarry or his corner.

This sport is as much about losing as it is about winning. There is a winner and a loser in every fight. I tried to win but on that night I couldn't do it and I lost. Instead of allowing me to lose with dignity I was booed and called names and ridiculed beyond anything which seems reasonable to me. I tried to box with him and I couldn't find my range, I tried to kickbox with him and I broke my foot, I tried to take him down and grapple with him but I was unable to, I tried to work in the clinch but that didn't work either, in short, I failed. No excuses. "

Originally posted on MMAWeekly.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caleb-tongue.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	9054  

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:07am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As said in the other threads, by myself and other people, don't answer the bell.

It really is that simple. If you are that beat up throw in the towel. You wouldn't be ridiculed unless, it was found out to be a lie.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:39am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, I even feel a little sorry for the guy now.

Oh well he could always consider starting up a career in athletics, perhaps the 1500 metres would suit him.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:43am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that actually earns him a couple of respect points from me. At least he put it all together in a way that made sense. But he still has a ways to go before seeing his name on a fight card isn't going to make me less likely to watch.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 11:54am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with It is Fake on this one. No respect from me. Broken foot but he could run away? I had to throw in a towel once for a fighter because I couldn't get the nose to stop bleeding but he wanted to continue for me not for himself. I wouldn't let him do it.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 12:07pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to second guess a pro, but I have competed in combat sports with worse injuries than the ones he is complaining about. If I thought I could not acquit myself well, I would have tapped out, bowed out, or thrown in the towel. Fighters get injured all the time, nobody would have said **** if he had quit on the bench with a broken foot. (Especially if he REALLY HAD A BROKEN FOOT!)

No, he was completely outclassed, and instead of going down swinging he curled up (Figuratively) in a ball and prayed for a miracle. That is a bitch move. Fight or go home. For my 40 bucks I expect to see two fighters fight. I do not want to see one fighter attacking, while the other runs away and prays for a freak accident to take out the better man.

I don't mind if you have a defensive strategy. Lots of fighters play defensively, but they do not run for the whole fight. They hang back and wait for opportunities, then they strike. Starnes forgot that last bit, apparently.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalib Starnes will not stop digging that hole
    During the fight I received a broken bone in my right foot and I find out tomorrow if I need to have surgery and get a pin put through it so that it will heal properly. I also have severe bruising on my left thigh, lumps on my head, a fat black eye, a sprained jaw and damage to the nerves in my molars.
    I can't go to school today, mom. I have a runny nose, sore throat, a cough, and I'm kind of nauseous.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    funny. i thought this guy was a pro-athlete.

google the picture from steve nash in last year's NBA playoffs. that's how a pro goes to work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 12:53pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This part gets me. Bruising on his left thigh? Lumps on his head? a Black Eye? These sound like pretty standard injuries in a fight, but he's playing it off like he's some sort of martyr. You don't even have to fight to get those injuries.

Then there's this:

For him to come out and make a statement like that as though I should be willing to suffer a brain injury while being paid less than $10,000 is beyond comment. How much is a brain injury worth anyway?
    Doesn't he risk "brain injury" anyway whenever he fights? It just sounds like an excuse not to ever engage his opponent. If he doesn't want to risk brain damage or a bruised thigh or black eye, he probably shouldnt be fighting in the first place.

It just sounds like a load of bullshit spin doctoring.

Posted On:
    4/24/2008 1:06pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3hJudoChop
    This part gets me. Bruising on his left thigh? Lumps on his head? a Black Eye? These sound like pretty standard injuries in a fight, but he's playing it off like he's some sort of martyr. You don't even have to fight to get those injuries.

Then there's this:

Doesn't he risk "brain injury" anyway whenever he fights? It just sounds like an excuse not to ever engage his opponent. If he doesn't want to risk brain damage or a bruised thigh or black eye, he probably shouldnt be fighting in the first place.

It just sounds like a load of bullshit spin doctoring.
    I couldnt have said it any better.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast