Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 6:40pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally got the smak sticks but either the quality control is strange
    or I have an odd abberation between the black and the red stick.

i can' find my camera right now so no pics til tmrw
    but the black smakstick I have appears to be one inch longer than the red one.
    they also appear to be using two different weaves for the sheath. (the black one has a smaller weave than the red one)
    also the punyo on the black one is slightly larger than the punyo on the red one

not sure what to make of this disparity. just seems odd that they aren't identical

have any of you experienced this when buying from SMAK?

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 7:02pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got an odd request, if you can manage to mark it down. Which sticks give the worst nylon burns? I find this almost more annoying than welts and bruises, when someone gives me a good slap across the arm, and I end up with a 3 inch long scab a few days later.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 8:47pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd use wood, with some gloves for protection. Maybe headgear too, if your not feeling adventerous.

Nylon burns sounds like something that happens after you see a hooker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I've got an odd request, if you can manage to mark it down. Which sticks give the worst nylon burns? I find this almost more annoying than welts and bruises, when someone gives me a good slap across the arm, and I end up with a 3 inch long scab a few days later.
    yeah i'll test for that and add it in. probably gonna need some extended sessions to test for it.

it might be early to say but it seems like the SMAK stik and the ps28c ATF model
    are the ones most likely to cause burns/blisters due to the nylon material and specific
    texture of the sheath. they feel the most "rough" or "abrasive"

the ATF ps28n and actionflex don't appear to be prone to it. I've been sparring with actionflex fora while and never experienced the burn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 9:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    I'd use wood, with some gloves for protection. Maybe headgear too, if your not feeling adventerous.

Nylon burns sounds like something that happens after you see a hooker.
    Yeah. stfu and read the OP next time.
    you've obviously never trained in FMA.

normal wood sticks splinters, shatters under stress and would cause injuries.
    thats why FMA uses Rattan normally except sparring live rattan all the time = injuries.
    doesn't behave like other woods when it starts to break. it breaks off as one piece or it "shreds".

Padded sticks are used to try and find a good compromise between safety and pain/realism for everyday/regular sparring.

The comparison I'm working on is to provide a comparison to help determine what padded stick is right for a person's needs.

ie. a beginner who wants no chance of getting injured / light sparring only / messing around.

or maybe light to medium technical sparring

or something that could stand up to extremely heavy sparring and feels as close to rattan while minimizing injury

also price, affordability/core replacement and other things play into it because these sticks aren't as cheap as live rattan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 11:29am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So- did you finish the comparison, Variance? I'm in the market for a new pair of padded sticks and wanted to know what you thought was good for minimal / no gear sparring.

Posted On:
    5/26/2008 5:02am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://sticks-and-knives.blogspot.com/

Check out the plastic trainers a few posts down the page. I want to get these and the atienza blade simulators for comparison. More for drilling than for sparring, but working on edge orientation is always cool with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:43pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those look pretty cool, but the article two posts down caught my eye:

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks and Knives
    Lately the defanging the snake concept has also taken a bit of beating (pun intended) from by those who can’t appreciate its practicality. The skepticism of the concept often originates from the viewpoint of MMA or the grappling systems.
    Perhaps they're talking about limb destruction here, and not defanging the snake? Because in my experience, whacking a guy in the hand is a really good way to get him to drop his weapon.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:46pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know i'm not sure. In the style he trains, limbs are "targets of oppurtunity" and not primary strategies.

Posted On:
    5/29/2008 3:56pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a dropped weapon, someone can still charge in and tackle you. If I had a choice of either a weapon hand, or a clean shot to someone's head, I'd take the head every time. If the head was guarded, but the weapon hand was available, then I'd hit the weapon hand.

I've fought and won stickfights after breaking my weapon hand. It's not the fight ender that some people will have you believe. It's a legitimate target and can be a good one, but you have to keep things in perspective. Humans have a lot more weapons than a snake, which only has fangs. Even if you manage to eliminate the stick, you've still got to account for secondary and terciary weapons. Knives, punches, kicks, knees, elbows, headbutts, grappling can still all come into play.

I'm not saying that you should always be a headhunter, but if it is available it is a superior target than a hand is.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast