Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 10:24am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What blows my mind is how does chipper go from having one of the most brutal knockouts in his first fight to being to scared to throw a decent jab in his second? I was going horse from screaming at the telly. I realy liked that kid too.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    did anyone actually go look at Scarola's school's website?

****, i would never want to train there...
    He was a pro fighter before he entered that match. Yeah, i understand the jitters and what not...but still

I will go out on a limb here, and get flamed for it, but

If your a b.j.j blackbelt, and you get subbed by someone who isn't well trained in b.j.j/judo/sambo/x grappling art, thats just as bad as getting double-armbarred, or having someone omaplata you from their guard...(not awesome eddie bravo flowchart to omaplata, that you have someone in guard, and you come into them, fall back, switch your hips, and omaplata them that way)

He was a pro fighter, though, and i'm sure he's eaten quite a few knees...

Dude, shut the **** up. Yeah, Scarola fucked up and left in a terrible fashion and yes, he got caught in that noob triangle. Having said, you don't know exactly this man's state of mind when he went there. Serra himself tought he was not mentally/emotionally stable to be there. Having a fucking black belt in BJJ is not a bullet-proof, high tech Batman's cape.

Also, you can be the **** in grappling and suck at MMA and viceversa. BJJ. and. MMA. two. different. worlds. Don't. You. Ever. Forget. That.

Also, being a good MMA fighter and being a good GRAPPLING teacher are not necessarily the same thing. You can question the guy's heart AT THAT MOMENT and FOR MMA ONLY.

No arguing about that. However, that does not mean in any way, shape or manner that this man cannot teach his **** and help someone become a good fighter. You are drinking so much kool aid, it's gusshing right out of your ass by its own internal pressure.

Here, use this as your avatar.

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 1:53pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did anyone actually go look at Scarola's school's website?

****, i would never want to train there...
    Why? So everyone's not cut out to be a great MMA fighter; he's clearly a good BJJ practitioner or he wouldn't have been given a black belt from a legit guy like Serra. Maybe if he was cornering someone in a tough MMA fight a fighter of his wouldn't have faith in him as a coach, but just doing BJJ I don't see why he'd be bad at it.

It is weird that he uses his TUF6 cred on his site though.

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 3:26pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    id love to take classes with Scarola. I would just be worried that he would have to leave the classes early everytime he missed his girlfriend.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Forrest gave him the safe advice. Hold the position for 15 seconds and take the sure decision. I like the fact that he went for the armbar and finished, but Forrest didn't give bad advice, just conservative advice.
    Is that conservative advice? I was always under the inpression that leaving up to the judges, especially in a two round fight, was risky. Under normal circumstances it would be risky but the guy is a legit BJJ blackbelt and has a better than average chance of finishing the armbar in under 15 seconds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 4:14pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    id love to take classes with Scarola. I would just be worried that he would have to leave the classes early everytime he missed his girlfriend.
    Or if you wanted to video tape your class....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2008 6:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, Sub Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a slight aside, this is the first TUF season I've seen. It's not bad...the fights are pretty enjoyable. Are any of the previous seasons worth picking up?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789